The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How to repair the 'Task Manager'

(4 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by cygpup
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 3586 times

cygpup

I have a new Vista PC - so I am still getting use to it. At first, the Task Manager' behaved
and looked normal (smiliar to what it did in XP). I can access it either through the
task bar or by 'ctrl-shift-esc.'--- however --- only way I can close it is by hitting
'ctrl-shift-esc'again or by restarting. Also, it now only lists the 'processes running'-
there are no tabs at the top.
I have run the 'check disc for errors and fix them utility' - it showed no problems. I hsve
run the 'Malicious Software Removal Tool' and the 'Windows Defender'- they came up clean.
A full McAfee anti-virus scan also came up clean.
What else can I do to get the 'Task Manager' to behave normally?
Thank you for your help - you are the best.

Posted 10 years ago

whs

For your tabs see this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193050/en-us (just double click on the top border)
Regarding "Close": You can also close the TM by right clicking on the top border > Close; or thru "File" > Exit TM

Posted 10 years ago

cygpup

Thank you very much. Now it behaves and looks 'normal.' It amazes me how something so
troublesome is fixed so easily.

Posted 10 years ago

whs

You are welcome - any time.
PS: You might consider to put your state or country into your profile: Thus we know in which time zone you are.

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.