How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How to: move Windows Vista from one hard drive to a new one

(13 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by gingabr
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 30061 times

gingabr

Hello everybody,
I have recently have problems with my hard drive and have many important files on it that I want to restore.
So I bought a new 320 gb hard drive for my laptop and installed it in the laptop.
I know this is kind of a n00b question but I was wondering how I can install the copy of windows vista that came with my laptop on this new hard drive.
I also need help with software. I need software that will bypass the file structure system (which is what is corrupted on my hard drive) and restore the files that are on my hard drive. I have software to do this but it only gives me the option to restore deleted files on that hard drive, not the non-deleted ones which the file system destroyed.
By the way, I have an Hp Compaq C700 (if that helps)

Thanks!!

Posted 10 years ago

InDiSent

Try this

http://blogs.howtogeek.com/mysticgeek/2008/03/31/turn-vista-home-premium-into-ultimate-part-1-disk-imaging/

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

gingabr, hi and welcome. I would like to know more about the errors that you were getting with the old hard drive in order to help you determine how to recover files from it. You say that the file system is corrupted -- did you get an error message that said that? What software do you have now that won't do the recovery? Also, you say that you want to recover files that were "destroyed". If they are really destroyed, there is no going back.

Posted 10 years ago

gingabr

Wow, you guys are helpful, and fast!
Anyways, at first it was because the "digital signature" of tcpip.sys was not recognizable by Windows (i was tweaking some settings).
Vista would not boot. I found out that I would need to completely restore Windows, for one file!
Anyways, I tried everything I knew, safe mode, command line scripts etc..
Then I bought an external case, plugged it in to my other computer and when i tried to open the hard drive it gave me the following error message:
"F:/ is not accessible The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"
And when I said destroyed, I meant the ones that I had previously deleted when the computer was functional, not the ones I am trying to recover.

Posted 10 years ago

gingabr

Also, I used a few programs:
Among those were:
Photrec
Easus data recovery

Posted 10 years ago

whs

I would use Knoppix to save my files and then reinstall Vista.

Posted 10 years ago

gingabr

Thank You so much, that is a really helpful solution, I will be using it ASAP

Posted 10 years ago

Tyralia

So can anyone tell us if it's possible to move your Vista installation to another hard disk without re-installing?

Posted 10 years ago

whs

Yes, that is possible with Acronis or Norton Ghost (which I use). Their main purpose, of course, is to make system backups (I do that once a week). But you can switch the disk and write back to a new disk - it works like a normal recovery. For recovery, you boot Acronis or Ghost from the CD - that's why you must have the CD. There are other (cheaper but much more difficult) ways to do it. Also, in Vista Ultimate, there is a built in Vista functions to do that.

Posted 10 years ago

Tyralia

"Also, in Vista Ultimate, there is a built in Vista functions to do that. "

Ooh that's good to hear, that's the version of vista I'm using. Would you be able to tell me where I could find these functions please?

Posted 10 years ago

whs

In the Backup and Restore Center (complete PC backup). http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/backup.aspx

Posted 10 years ago

pwelch1021

I have a HP Pavilion dv9000 that has a problem with the drive. The C: drive has some damaged sectors on it. I installed the laptop drive in my desktop along with a new 320 gb laptop drive. I tried to move the data from this drive to a new 320 gb drive with True Image 9.0 and had no luck. Wen the laptop drive gets to the bad sectors is just sits there and grinds. I let it work on the drive for 12 hours and it stayed in the same place. Is there a way with True Image to just move the partition from the old drive that contains the HP Restore information with out taking the primary partition with it? The HP Recovery partition is fine. I need to restore the system on the new drive when I reinstall it in my laptop. I do not have access to the original disk that came with the computer. Can you help me get around this problem? The drive I am replacing is a Hitachi 160 gb drive and the OS is Vista Basic.

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Hi pwelch. Welcome to HTG.

This is an old thread. Could you start a new one please ? Thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.