Have you ever got your hands on VirtualBox and found IT IS way better than any other virtualization software? Have you also gotten your hands on a Windows 7 ISO? HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO INSTALL WINDOWS 7 IN VIRTUALBOX? Here is a guide to show you how!
PS: Thanks to Hatryst for the idea of making this post.
What You'll Need:
-VirtualBox (if you haven't got a copy click here
-Windows 7 ISO file (containing Windows 7 setup files) /Bootable USB drive with setup files / Bootable CD or DVD with setup files
-Enough time to spare
-Enough space on your HDD and enough RAM
1) Open up VirtualBox and click the 'New' button with a blue sun icon.
2) Click next in this following dialog box that will appear:
3) Type the name of the Virtual Machine (of your choice) and select Windows 7
as the OS type, and click Next.
*Tip : If you input Windows 7 as the name of your VM, the OS Type will auto-adjust to
4) Next, select the amount of RAM in this window and click Next:
*If you don't have enough RAM to spare, put a bit lesser than 512 MB, but Aero and some other features might be disabled.
5) Click Next again in this window to create a new virtual disk:
6) A new window will popup like this one:
6a) Click Next in this window.
7) Select 'Dynamically expanding storage in this window:
7a) Click Next in the window.
8) Click Next in this window:
8a) Click Finish in the remaining two windows.
9) Now is the time to go to the Settings page of of your new VM and add or disable settings, according to
10) Double-click on your new Virtual Machine, and a few dialog boxes will popup, ignore them, but NOT the one that says:
'First Run Wizard' .
11) If you are using a bootable USB / CD / DVD , navigate to it by clicking the folder icon with a green arrow. If you
are using an ISO, navigate for it through the same way, and click Next once you're done.
12) Windows 7 will now install. Installation will take not much time (probably lesser than 10 minutes), as you will be
installing a custom install. (*Remember to select 'Custom Install', not 'Upgrade'.
13) The setup will ask you some info sometimes during the installation porcess, so don't leave your computer.
14) Woalla! You'er done! You can choose to restart the VM after your VM install certain updates. Enjoy! ;)