The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

How to customize Vista Explorer's Details Pane?

(4 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by johnbrvc
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 7255 times

johnbrvc

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the properties that are displayed for various file types in the details pane (typically at the
bottom of an explorer window). Specifically, for an EXE or a DLL, i would like to see the program / product version displayed down there along with the file name, file type, date modified, size and date created? More
generally, is there a way to pick what attributes/properties are shown down there on a per-file extension basis? I have to believe there is a template or some such, someplace in the registry or elsewhere that lets you customize these things...

There's lots of discussion about changing which properties are displayed for a particular file, but that is a per-file thing, and has nothing to do with the details pane content.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

I searched online and found the page http://www.vistax64.com/vista-.....shows.html
It appears that for some file extensions you can change the value PreviewDetails under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.ext to change the details displayed.
You can look in the other values of FullDetails, InfoTip and TileInfo to find what properties you can use.
The format of the keys are "prop:aprop;aprop2;etc" (without quotes).
I just tested adding a value named PreviewDetails under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.exe with the data "prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.FileDescription;System.FileVersion;System.Software.ProductVersion;System.DateCreated;System.DateModified;System.Size"
Now when I highlight an exe file the details pane looks like this:

Posted 9 years ago

johnbrvc

That's the trick. Thanks. However, s/PreviewDetail/PreviewDetails/
in your post... BTW, now that I know what to search for, namely, "PreviewDetails", others may find this useful:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-.....85%29.aspx
It shows the properties you can use.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

You're welcome. Glad to help.
Thanks on the spelling of the value too, I just corrected it in my post.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.