The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

how do you make a recovery disk?

(52 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by ijam07
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 8561 times

ijam07

how do you make a recovery disk for a gateway dx4710 im having problems with computer and came without a disk ...
why come computers nowaday dont come with recovery disks ? its stupid having to make your own

Posted 8 years ago

Santo

Check this. It has steps to create recovery discs.

Computers don't come with recovery discs, because to save cost.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

ijam07, hello. Many new systems come without recovery discs to save costs, as Santo says. However, most of them have a recovery partition on the hard drive that can be used to do a factory restore.

Your Gateway may have a Recovery program accessible from Windows. Look for Start -> All Programs -> Gateway -> Gateway Recovery Management. It might instead be an Acer eRecovery software now that Acer has acquired Gateway. If this option is not available, press Alt+F10 as the system is booting up to access the hard drive-based recovery manager. Some of this is covered in the manuals at Gateway Support.

Posted 8 years ago

Santo

Recovery partition is good till your computers hardware stop working or it is infected with virus. So, it is always recommended to create recovery discs as soon as possible from the new computer and keep these discs in a safe place in a case. Also make sure that they are labeled with the computer information.

If you don't create them now, later it you will be running around asking for these discs. Usually most of the manufacturers have a time limit till which they can ship you recovery discs (usually it is not free if you haven't created).

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Agreed! Make the recovery discs ASAP! Most of the systems with a recovery partition pester the user to make discs as soon as they start up, and again and again until it gets done.

The same Gateway Recover Management or Acer eRecovery utility should allow you to make the recovery discs.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

Gateway Recover Management did not work i found it clicked on it and clicked the create factory default disc nothing at all happens
and i have to press ctrl alt del tesk manger to close it whats up with that? and computer prices still seem kinda high ok i made a recovery dis a week after i bought this but dont evern know how to use it please tell me how? it took 3 dvds

Posted 8 years ago

whs

If you created a recovery disk before, then that's it. The recovery disk can only be created once. That is probably why the wizard drops dead on you.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

how do i use the backup disc i never done anything like this before someone help please

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Depends what you want to do. You can use it to reinstall or to fix a problem.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

reinstall like reformat can i reformat with it?

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

im disabled and dont know much about this kinda stuff i know more about xp then vista this is my first vista computer dont like it

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Yes you can reinstall the Vista system. Here is the procedure:

1. Copy all your own files and folders to an external storage (Disc, USB stick even SD card - 1 GByte capacity should be ample - even 512 MB)
2. Shut the PC off
3. Turn the PC back on and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Option Screen appears
4. Click "Repair Your Computer" –if you are not already on it, use the up and down arrows to maneuver to it and then press ENTER
5. Next you have to pick your country and click OK
6. On the "System Recovery Options Screen" click "Restore Application" (last option)
7. Follow the on-screen instructions
8. When prompted, click on "Full Factory Recovery"
9. Click "Next"
10. Click "Yes"
11. Go and have a cup of coffee - don't touch anything - for a while it seems like nothing is happening
12. After many minutes, recovery will complete and you click "Finish"

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

do i need to copy my drivers and vista software on the flash card ? i have a 8bg flash card or are the drivers on my cd if so what cd do i need to enter first it made 4 different cds when i made the back up

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

oops i ment it made 3 cds not 4

Posted 8 years ago

whs

There is no need to do anything with the drivers. Most will be on your recovery DVDs and the other ones (e.g. for printers) will be installed once the devices are connected. I therefore also recommend to disconnect all external devices (except monitor, keyboard and mouse) during the installation. Should you have some exotic device for which you downloaded the driver yourself, you will have to do that again.
Once you have saved your data, just follow the procedure above. That is easier than using your DVDs.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

can i still use my router for my laptop while in this process ill need to check this site cause i have no ink to print this out

Posted 8 years ago

whs

If I understand right, you want to read the instructions above off your laptop during the reinstallation (because you cannot print). That is OK. The router should not go down. If it should not work, plug the laptop directly into the router or the modem. You should diconnect the system (on which you reinstall) from the router anyhow.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

ok my computer is now telling my there was no backup found in my dvd it is dated feb 09 as i said i bout this computer used in may any way it says put in a recent backup disc and i cant make a new back uup recovery disk cause when i click on gateway recovery management nothing happens any thing else i can try?

Posted 8 years ago

Santo

What exactly are you trying to do?
1. Trying to restore your backup files from DVD?
2. Trying to perform a System recovery to set your laptop to factory settings?
3. Trying to create recovery discs from the computer?

If the recovery manager fails to respond then the only way to recover your computer is using the recovery DVD's that you had created earlier. If you recover it then it will be set to factory settings. So, before recovery take a backup of all your important files to a flash drive.

To perform system recovery using the recover discs you need to insert the 1st DVD and restart the computer.

Remember System Recovery disc is different from the regular back up files to disc.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

restore factory settings on gateway dx4710-09

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

dvds ???????? it only came with 1 dvd

Posted 8 years ago

whs

ijam07,
1. we now understand that you want to reinstall Vista to factory level
2. are you saying that your Gateway PC came with a recovery DVD? That would be odd because usually Gateway gives you a recovery partition - from which you can burn your recovery DVDs.
3. the confusion about one or more DVDs comes from the following: If you burn the recovery DVDs from the recovery partition yourself, you need 2 or 3 DVDs to fit it all. If you get the recovery DVD from the factory (and only very few manufacturers do that these days), then you get only one DVD. They are writing it with a higher density so that it fits.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

no i bought it used the guy bought from had a dvd with it it has fev 09 gateway recovery on it that whats written on the disc

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

well let me ask can i open c drive and compy vista on a dvd then copy my drivers on another ? then insert my vista disk to reformat it then load my drivers? if so please tell me how to and what i need to put on dvds to do it that way what drivers do i need to burn on a dvd /dvds how many dvds would i need??

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Before we go any further with the DVD, check whether you still have an operational recovery partition. Go to Computer and double click on D:. Then tell us what is on there.
Reason: it would be a lot easier to reinstall from the recovery partition than play around with a DVD of which we really do not know what's on it.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

i did this but it frozed each time d drive is for disks double opens it right ? do i need to insert a disk if so do i insert the recovery disk dated feb 09? only one i have

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

when i double all it says is insert disc

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Recovery disk creation. You will need two blank DVD's.

http://support.gateway.com/s/s.....0su7.shtml

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

it says
This option is a one-time process but its been done once berfore by other then me i only have one disk so guess im screwed huh

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Not quite. See my post here: https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/gateway-recovery-management-problem?replies=2

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

ive done that twice i can not log in as administrator i can under my name it is the administrator i enter password then select wiindows complete system restore then tells me something such as no valid backup now im screwed>???

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

In step #10 did you select Full factory recovery?

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

yes

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

When you log into your user account does it look like this?:

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

no just says janice and my son ian

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

In order to do the factory recovery you must be an administrator. You need to find out who is designated as the administrator and log in to that account.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

im the administrator

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

thing is it says i am the administrator but i enter the administrator it won't let me so i log into my user name it lets me how can i setup a administrator passworrd or figure out what it is if im not the administrator but user accounts says i am the administrator i checlked

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Ok. Let's see if you have a recovery partition. Click Start > Computer.
Do you see Recovery (D:)?

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

ok i see this http://s780.photobucket.com/al.....apture.jpg

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

ande this its says im the administrator

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

It appears that your computer did not ship with a recovery partition, it came with a operating system cd/dvd. If you have this, you should be able to boot from it and recover your computer to factory shipped condition. If you don't have it, try emailing Gateway at the link below to get a replacement.They will charge a fee for this, but that should be cheaper than buying a Vista disk.

For computers shipped after June 2005, an operating system CD\DVD is included and the option to Create my Drivers-Applications CD(s) is in System Recovery. Access the program from the Start menu under Programs. This backup process through System Recovery allows you to create the applications and drivers CD\DVD as many times as needed. If the operating system CD\DVD is lost, missing, or damaged, e-mail customer service to inquire about a replacement. Please note that replacement may be at a cost according to your warranty status.

http://support.gateway.com/sup.....ech2.shtml

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

its not 4even a year old the guy bought it for 500 at bestbuy in jan 09

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

If you don't have the operating system disk, then I suggest you contact Gateway at the link I provided and see what they can do for you.
Most warranties are usually good for one year, so they might send you the disk at little or no cost.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

i do have 2 disksthat came with it one is intervideo dvd player software other is nvidia drivers for xp 2x 9x nt but computer has vista on it

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Those won't do you any good. I don't know why it would come with XP drivers, since your computer came with Vista.
But all I can suggest is contact Gateway and see what they have to say.

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

anks bert i will call and ask any thing i should tell them?
or ask for?

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

I wouldn't call them. Email them at the link I provided above.
If you call them, they will charge you big time for phone support!

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

send the link and and please tell me what i need to say in the email i dont know what to ask or say

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

http://support.gateway.com/sup.....ech2.shtml

Fill in the form with the information requested.
In the Subject box type--> Operating System Disk

In the question box type--> I don't have the operating system disk and I need a replacement. I believe my computer is still under warranty.
How do I go about getting one and how much will it cost?

Posted 8 years ago

ijam07

ok thanks bart for everything

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

You are welcome. Good luck.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.