The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - How do I remove AVG Toolbar?

(35 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by hek
  • Latest reply from Alanathegeek
  • Topic Viewed 244830 times

hek

I have used AVG free virus protection for a number of years. Now, for reasons too involved to explain, I do not want the AVG toolbar showing when I use Firefox. How do I remove/disable/hide/whatever the AVG toolbar?

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Welcome to the forum hek. AVG toolbar? I have never seen one of these. Can you describe a bit more please.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I never use Firfox but in IE and Opera there is a "Toolbars" setting facility under "Tools". I am sure Firefox has something similar.

Posted 8 years ago

hek

Lighthouse, the AVG toolbar is actually entitled (by AVG) the AVG Security Toolbar, but in my mind the word Security does not really apply. It is a horizontal bar stretching the width of the screen, and is broken into sections, some of which are drop menus and some of which are shortcuts and one of which is a search box.

whs, I finally found Firefox's Toolbars setting, but it is under View rather than Tools.

Thank you, both of you, for your time. I now have the solution for my problem, and I appreciate your assistance.

hek

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

hek. can you please tell us what the solution to your problem was?

Posted 8 years ago

hek

Lighthouse, of course I will. I assumed whs would understand, but I should have been more specific. In Firefox's View menu, there is a Toolbars sub-menu apparently listing all of the active or installed toolbars. One of the listed toolbars is the AVG Security Toolbar; I simply unchecked it and it disappeared, which is what I wanted. It can be brought back by re-checking it.

Upon re-reading your original response, it occurs to me that maybe you were asking what AVG is. AVG (originally from a company called Grisoft or some similar name) is virus protection software in several versions, one of which is free.

Again, thank you.

hek

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Thanks hek, I understand all that. I just had never seen AVG install a tool bar before. Thankyou for for that info :)

Posted 8 years ago

jraparrish

AVG 8 now adds a toolbar that is installed when you install the Anti-virus software. I use AVG 8 Free and noticed that they slipped it into the install. If you pay close attention during the install, you will be able to uncheck the "Install AVG Toolbar". It is a little more subtle than the way Adobe Reader tries to push the Yahoo! toolbar. I never installed it but figured it would have had an entry in the "Add/Remove Software" applet. Guess not.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes. I know lots of programs try and sneak in a toolbar. I always watch out for them. It's just that I didn't notice that with AVG a couple of months ago.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

hek, I did understand. Just did not know it was under "View" - as I said, I am no Firefox user.

Posted 8 years ago

pingu7931hotmailcom

Also note that if you add a new user to Windows you may get the toolbar enabled by default.

Posted 8 years ago

qtkeesha

Has anyone been able to uninstall the avg toolbar? I have looked in the add/remove programs and not found it there - any help would be nice.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

See heks answer answer near the top.

Posted 7 years ago

Maddie

I too am having trouble removing the AVG toolbar. I kind of resent the underhanded installation. It installed on it's own during a shut-down update. They want me to pay for information on how to uninstall something that they loaded without consent or permission.

So...by simply un-checking the toolbar, am I only making it 'not visible', or am I actually removing it ?

Thanks in advance. =)

Posted 7 years ago

LH

So. Uninstall AVG using this (#4 option),
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
And then re-install it, taking great care on what you click on !

Posted 7 years ago

Maddie

I need more software to uninstall this ?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Yes. Revo is the one we always recommend for un-installing programs (apart from the one's that need special un-installers)

Posted 7 years ago

Maddie

As you can probably tell, I'm not extremely knowledgable in this area. =) But shouldn't AVG have a way to uninstall something they installed ?

Posted 7 years ago

Maddie

Anyways...that was kind of a rhetorical question. Thanks so much for your help LH.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

If you give me a few days, I will put together another computer, install AVG on a clean system, and check it all out. I am not putting AVG on my working machine.

Posted 7 years ago

Maddie

The thing is, the AVG toolbar did not install when we installed AVG. It came several months later. Up-grades are run on shut-down...so it just appeared the next morning. I was bugged, because I had just finally figured out that the Google tool-bar was what was bogging everything down, and I had just gotten rid of THAT.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Ah. OK. Thanks for that Maddie :)

Posted 7 years ago

Maddie

Thanks again LH =)

Posted 7 years ago

flwizard

Hey folks, after disabling it AVG reloads the toolbar, so how do you disable this? It treats you like an infant and insults your intelligence by saying you must have made a mistake so it is reloading it. These toolbars are information gathering "tools" such as Ask.com toolbar that also Invades or hijacks Mozilla and is hard to remove. It keeps coming back which means it is really a virus/trojan/spybot just in sheeps clothing so to speak and lies dormant collecting information. We have to drop these search engines and write to Mozilla and tell them why. The consumer has to fight back. Don't use the Ask.com removal solution for this very reason. Sorry to sound paranoid but if Google doesn't own Ask.com (IAC Search and Media, Oakland, Ca.) then it has Google's blessings. So for those of you who still think Google is "cool" or subversive, think again.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

flwizard hi. I have absolutely no problem with Google. just be very careful of what you install, and know your own system.

Posted 7 years ago

Maddie

I have still had no luck getting rid of the blasted thing. It's really ticking me off.

Posted 7 years ago

OO

Hey there. I think I figured out how to stop it reappearing. Next to the AVG logo there is a small arrow. Clicking on it brings up an menu. Choose options, advanced options, and untick the last choice,

Re-display the AVG Security Toolbar when hidden (weekly)
Guess I'll find out in a week if it works.

Posted 7 years ago

HobNobby

I came to this site because of the same problem with the toolbar--the previous post is correct, and I was going to mention it. But I did find a way to uninstall the toolbar. If you can find your add-ons, there is an option there to remove the toolbar add-on. You just click it, and the next time Firefox starts, it will be removed. HOWEVER, it takes you directly to a page that thanks you for adding it! lol Just get out of there before you click the wrong thing and start the whole process again! I wish I knew how to tell you to get to the add-on's folder--it just magically appeared on the bottom toolbar for me. Maybe someone else could add the information on how to access it (the add-ons folder) in case someone else passes this way with the same problem.

Posted 7 years ago

iruchika

For Fire-fox goto Tools -> Add-ons (and for IE goto Tools -> Manage Add-ons) and you can disable the AVG Security toolbar from there. Restart your browser after disabling the options.

Posted 7 years ago

munther

Thanks a million hek, you saved me alot of time and work.

Posted 7 years ago

munther

To remove AVG toolbar: Just go on "view" on the top of your screen. highlight on "toolbars". Make sure there is no check next to "AVG Security Toolbar"

Posted 7 years ago

gsmart

Hi

After finding no way to uninstall the toolbar I simply deleted the folder C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\Toolbar

All gone - no problems so far.

Posted 7 years ago

vistual

i didnt even bother looking through all the posts - but since ive been through this once already myself - i can tell you .....
run the installer again - and keep an eye out for the part when it asks for permission to install it - make sure you untick the box.
edit:
quickly - i saw some people suggesting an option through firefox that will make it "not visible".
i mean i guess thats okay but its up to you of course.....

Posted 7 years ago

bettyholt1949

I removed the toolbar by going to Control Panel, Programs & Features, then right click on AVG, and choose 'change'.

Posted 5 years ago

Alanathegeek

Thanks to everyone for this!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.