The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - HELP: Windows 7 Clean Install Problems!

(16 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by kelly
  • Latest reply from kelly
  • Topic Viewed 8438 times

kelly

Hey,

I have a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, not an upgrade version.
I was previously running Vista Home Premium x64.

Last night, after extensive backups, I was ready to do a clean install of Windows 7 (was very excited).
From the desktop I placed the x64 bit DVD into my laptop, I selected the custom install option as I didn't want it to do an in place upgrade. I then selected my C: which my current Vista operating system was on. It then proceeded to warn me that this would over write my previous operating system.
I continued.

During the installation it did a re-start (normal), however on the boot up it said the following:

0. NO Emulation System Type: 00
1. NO Emulation System Type: 00

Enter a choice:

I was very confused, especially as both options are the same.
I proceeded with choice 0.
It then asked me to hit any key to boot from disc.

Once it returned to the install screen it seemed to start again, much to my dismay!

Finally after several re-boots, and the same choice screen making no sense, Windows 7 started up.
However I was expecting a clean install, but seeing as my hard drive was saying approx 132GB free of a 286GB drive I knew something was wrong.
On my C: were two folders, Windows.old, and Windows.old.000. One weighing in at approx 33GB, and the other at 11GB.

I have since tried a clean install again, the same nonsense NO emulation choice screen appeared twice, and now I have another Windows.old file labelled Windows.old.001. I now only have 117GB free.

Please could someone explain to me the NO emulation choice screen, how to delete the Windows.old files, as when I try it says I don't have permission due to SYSTEM files (running as administrator) and how to do a CLEAN install?

Im considering putting LINUX on, then installing Windows 7 to force a clean installation through desperation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :o)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Rather than messing about trying to clean it up. I would DBAN the hard drive and start afresh,
http://www.dban.org/

Posted 8 years ago

kelly

Crikey, that seems scary
So I would run that, which wipes everything (I have a D: partition which is the HP recovery for my previous Vista - not needed), then stick the Windows 7 disc in my laptop and power on to boot from the disc?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Did you run a Windows 7 compatibility test before you decided to install W7 ?
And model of computer may help us.

Posted 8 years ago

kelly

I ran the compatibility test before hand, there were 4 issues, all with reference to the SD card reader, however there are drivers available for Windows 7 x64.

HP HDX Premium Series: HDX16-1005EA

Posted 8 years ago

InDiSent

Did you try booting from the DVD and doing the clean install that way? Sounds like a silly question, but i didn't see that you tried that in your post. If you boot from the DVD then you can just format the C: drive and install Windows 7 fresh.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

It seems to be giving you a choice of what OS to load. But it looks like the bootmanager is messed up.
So I would go with my 1st suggestion, and clean out everything and start afresh.

Posted 8 years ago

kelly

@ InDiSent: I tried that on my second attempt, still no joy, and also the bizarre two choices regarding NO emulation that are the same!

@ LH: I'm going to download Ubuntu, just in case, then run DBAN, although I'm very nervous about using it! Am I right in saying this will also remove the HP Recovery partition?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

kelly it will. If you want to be a little less aggressive, then re-format the C: partition using the option in your installation disk, before installation.

Posted 8 years ago

kelly

I think I'm going to go for DBAN, I want everything to be a fresh and clean install, and blitzing with that can't get any cleaner, if you don't hear back from me, I've really cocked it up! :o)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

I have my fingers crossed for you :) (makes typing a bit awkward :)

Posted 8 years ago

lvct

kelly HI
This will tell you how to get rid of windows.old http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/919652.htm It is for vista, not sure about windows7. The first reply.
Hope you get computer sorted out.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

lvct. the windows.old folder is easy to get rid of. It is an inactive folder, not controlled by any security. Normally a simple delete will do it. If it is protected in some way, then taking ownership will cure that.

Posted 8 years ago

kelly

Hey *waves*, I'm back, with a fresh install of Windows 7 running. :o)

I chickened out of using DBAN.
What I decided to do was install Ubuntu, selecting to over write the existing partitions.
I then inserted the Windows 7 disc, told it to format the partition as it said it couldn't write to it because it wasn't NTFS format, hey presto, I'm up and running with it only using 16GB of my hard drive. :o)

It still asked me when booting from the disc about the NO emulation choice, I stayed with my selection of 0. I'll let you guys know if I have any further problems, but this seems to have resolved my main issue.

Thank you.

:o)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Hey good stuff :)
I also found the emulation thing could also be a hardware issue (maybe the SD reader)
But keep in touch, and let us know how it goes. :):):)

LH

Posted 8 years ago

kelly

The SD Reader was one of the compatibility issues on the upgrade advisor.
I have found x64 bit drivers for Windows 7, so maybe when I get to that stage it will solve any little niggly bits and pieces.
So far, no problems though. :o)

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.