How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) help please sidebar freezes up computer

(14 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by Lunamoth
  • Latest reply from Lunamoth
  • Topic Viewed 8640 times

Lunamoth

Hey all,
Hope I can get some help. It appears that the calendar gadget is opened multiple times on my sidebar. I like my sidebar, but now I can't open it because by the time it loads all those calendars my computer freezes. I wonder if there is some way to close all those calendars without first opening the sidebar. Is there a control panel for the sidebar I can access or something??
Thanks for reading this
and really thanks if you reply!
Lunamoth

Posted 12 years ago

whs

Type SIDEBAR into the Start/search field > Click on "Windows Sidebar Properties > click on "View List of running Gadgets" > Highlight the calendar > Remove > Close > Apply > OK

Posted 12 years ago

Lunamoth

whs, thanks for the reply, I have tried this "Type SIDEBAR into the Start/search field > Click on "Windows Sidebar Properties > click on "View List of running Gadgets" > Highlight the calendar > Remove > Close > Apply > OK", but "View List of running Gadgets" is not clickable unless the sidebar program is open and running on my desktop, which I can't because that's when my computer freezes.
Thanks again tho,
Lunamoth

Posted 12 years ago

whs

Maybe you can uninstall your sidebar (not the program) and start anew. I would end the "sidebar.exe" in Task Manager > Processes

Posted 12 years ago

Lunamoth

Thanks whs, I tried that with limited results. When I started sidebar after ending it in Task Manager it actually loaded all the calendars and let me open the "Windows Sidebar Properties > click on "View List of running Gadgets" > Highlight the calendar > Remove" and then it froze. I think I was able to remove one of the calendars, I think there are more than 100 of them open tho, so closing 1 is not so great actually. lol
Thanks,
Lunamoth

Posted 12 years ago

whs

OK, try this. Go to the sidebar icon in the notification area (botton right) - you may have to expand the notification area with the chevron(<), then right click on it and click "Exit". That should close it. Then you can start with a new one.

Posted 12 years ago

Lunamoth

hmm, it doesn't start with a new one, just the same one with all the calendars opened.

Posted 12 years ago

whs

This bugger is hard to kill. Try a system Restart after the Exit. Maybe it get's lost. No guarantee though - but it's worth a try.

Posted 12 years ago

jd2066

Windows Sidebar stores it's gadget configuation in shell:Local Appdata\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar
You can either remove just the calenders from Settings.ini though I'm not sure of the correct way to do that or just delete all the contents of the folder to reset the configuation to the defaults.

Posted 12 years ago

thegeek

Actually JD is exactly correct... make a backup of that settings.ini file, and then rename the original file to something else like Settings.ini.bak, and it will regenerate the file. You'll have to add your gadgets back, but that's a small price to pay.

1) Make sure the sidebar is completely closed (check in task manager for sidebar.exe)
2) Open explorer, go to %localappdata%\microsoft\Windows Sidebar
3) Backup the settings.ini file to somewhere else
4) Rename settings.ini to settings.ini.bak (or anything else)
5) Open the sidebar, it should be reset to defaults.

Posted 12 years ago

whs

jd, I tried the Settings.ini but had no luck with it. Deleting the whole folder I did not dare because I did not want to loose all my stuff especially my very big AppLauncher.

Posted 12 years ago

Lunamoth

Hoorah!!!
Yeah, thanks you guys...
"1) Make sure the sidebar is completely closed (check in task manager for sidebar.exe)
2) Open explorer, go to %localappdata%\microsoft\Windows Sidebar
3) Backup the settings.ini file to somewhere else
4) Rename settings.ini to settings.ini.bak (or anything else)
5) Open the sidebar, it should be reset to defaults. "
This worked great, can I delete this, "3) Backup the settings.ini file to somewhere else", and this " 4) Rename settings.ini to settings.ini.bak (or anything else)" now that my sidebar is back to normal?
Thank you kindly!
Lunamoth

Posted 12 years ago

thegeek

You can delete the backup file if you wish, sure.

Posted 12 years ago

Lunamoth

Thanks,
You guys are great!
Lunamoth

Posted 12 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.