The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

HELP PLEASE! No operating system. BOOTMGR is missing.

(18 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by sharon84
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 3056 times

sharon84

Hi, I am not so good with computers, but in the past I've managed to get it working to a certain extent, I feel I am completely out of my depths now though and would appreciate any help and advice I am able to get. I have a medion laptop which has been running on windows Vista for about 4 years even though it originally came with XP. It was working fine up until a few months when my little brother started adding and deleting programs to try and get it to run faster. I get a black screen now which says BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

I've got no original discs with the laptop as I lost them whilst moving house twice. And I have tried doing several different things, but it just states there's no operating system, there's no restore points. And now I can't even get my CD drive to work. I just feel like things are going from bad to worse.

I am sorry for such a long message, i am just so frustrated with it now. Please please help!

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

sharon84 hi, do you have any friends or family with the same version of vista ? if so have they got a disk, you can replace there product key with the one that's on the bottom of your laptop ?, do you know if there is a recovery partition ?

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

trup45

Hey, I have seen this problem before and at times repairing the MBR, (master boot record) will solve this problem, but like Marks posted you will need a Vista disk or a built in recovery. Here is a easy to follow link from Microsoft to try and fix your MBR here

Posted 7 years ago

sharon84

Hi Mark ...I am like two seconds away from throwing this laptop out the window! Argh!
I have managed to get hold of a medion recovery disc (with Vista), it does not allow me to restore the computer. I have clicked on 'Install now', agree to the licence terms, then it only highlights the option for me to do a custom (advanced) installation, I click that then it asks where I would like to install windows the only option I have is Disk 0 Partition 1 size 74.6GB (free space - 73.8GB) Primary. I click next then it starts the installation, whenever it gets to the 'Expanding files' section, the percentage increases and then an error box appears on the screen which states: "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0xx00705070.

Sharon84

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

when you get to the custom part of the install is there anything listed under the box, like NEW, FORMAT, ECT, & in the box above what is listed you may need to

wipe/format you drive first.

mark. post back.

Posted 7 years ago

sharon84

Hi.
There is no option with the custom install. I have tried formatting the drive and I have also tried deleting it. And then it shows the amount of free space I have on it has increased. But the installation still does not work.

Sharon84

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

download THIS about half way down the link page(home 5.2 full version) burn to disk, put the burnt disk into your disk tray, power-up, set boot to cd. once the pw disk starts the first screen you come to select option 1, press 1 then hit enter
you will come to you hdd layout post back what you see, ps are you using windows vista o/s disk or recovery disk if recovery are they for your machine ?

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

Can you please give the exact make and model of your machine to see what recovery options you may have.
If the disk is the original one then you may have to go through this again. If you have saved your data or are not too worried, you must reformat the drive altogether.
Is there not an option to restore from factory from the disk?

There may be other problems (hardware).

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

sharon84

Mark: The computer is not responding to any disc I put in other than the medion recovery disc. If I insert another disc it only remains on the black screen with the words: BOOTMGR is missing. Ctrl+Alt+delete to restart. I did however download the link you told me to and burnt it onto disc to try it anyway, but I've had no luck.

Mike: It is a Medion MD 97900 (Model No: WIM 2100).

sharon84

Posted 7 years ago

sharon84

Sorry Mike forgot to mention there is no restore option that I am able to find anywhere on the computer or disc. Any folder I open with even so much as the word 'restore' in it, is empty.

Also I am not bothered about any data I previously had or have on the drive. Just need the laptop to work.

Thanks.

sharon84

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

if you have a windows vista o/s disk that came with the computer you can use the product key on the bottom of the laptop, if it is the original o/s you will have to wipe your drive you can use partition wizard , your cd,drive must be working as you said you loaded vista disk it stopped on expanding files ?

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

sharon84

I don't have any original discs that came with the laptop. I am borrowing a medion recovery disc, and that is the only disc the laptop is responding to. If I put any other disc in, the laptop is just not loading it.

I turned installing it again and it almost got to 90% in the expanding files section of the installation and then a blue screen came up. I thought I almost had it then aswel.

Sharon84

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

what did the blue screen say ? its very unusual that a ''recovery disk will start-up let alone run if its not made on the same machine as your trying to restore '' ? ) anyways post back

the blue screen error.

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

sharon84

I'm just not sure I am able to fix this :( ...it never gets past the expanding files. I've tried all the bootrec stuff mentioned by another user, but I'm just not having any luck. It just does not let me install the windows even though the drive has been deleted and formatted.

I can't remember exactly what the blue screen said. It was a full screen of information, but basically started off by saying something about the installation causing a problem and the computer needs to be shut down. I haven't seen it since, but if I do I will take a pic or something.

Sharon

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

i could be an error on the recovery disk ? what did you format your drive with ? try THIS SOFTWARE put it on disk then, insert and type...... autonuke then enter will take a little time but it will be wiped :) then retry your disk.

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

sharon84

I'm going to give up for today. But thank you for your help Mark. Take care.

Sharon

Posted 7 years ago

marks100

ok but burn the DBAN to disk first it will take a couple of hours to wipe your drive , then re-try in the morning.

mark.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

One problem you might have is your Bios is not set properly. You need to set boot optical device as your first boot order.
Could be the reason you can't load Windows is because you already have Windows installed and there might be a conflict.
If your disk has a custom install then you should be able to choose "repair".

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.