The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Help! My C: Drive says its full! Vista

(34 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Squidge
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 3079 times

Squidge

Hi, I am having a problem with my C: Drive. The C: Drive is 51.1GB, but I barley have anything on there and it says it is full. I have run several disk clean ups and de fragmented my computer, as well as taking all of my photos and as many documents as possible off of my computer and still nothing helps! I should only have around 19GB of music and I barely have anything in my 'User' files yet my C drive shows that it is full!

I read an old thread on here which suggested using a WinDirStat and I have done this. I also tried running a ' chkdsk ' on the C: drive (though I am not sure that I did this correctly) and I have screen shots of both reports but do not yet understand how to upload those images on to here to show you guys.

Any suggestions??? Thanks :)

I should also add, I am the only person who uses this computer so I have no other users using space, or any private files etc.

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

squidge hi, restore to an earlier date then use this http://download.cnet.com/Defra.....52905.html when you have done that turn off.

re-boot then undo the restore defrag again , post back let me know if any diffrent :)

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

Defraging will not get you space back, it just consolidates it for quicker reading.

Post the SCREEN SHOTS please so we can tell what is 'hogging' space, but before doing that, use the DISK CLEANER. Double click on COMPUTER, RMB on the C: drive, select PROPERTIES, and on the GENERAL TAB, select DISK CLEANUP. Run it, select what you want to DELETE, then press CLEAN UP SYSTEM FILES and then OK and CLEAN those that were missed with it. Now run WINDIRSTAT and post it.

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

1. What were the nums from WinDirStat?
2. Run the following cmd command VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE make sure you open cmd as admin. Then look for the ALLOCATED number on C. That shows the amount of space taken by restore points. For your size C, it should not be more than about 7.5GBs.
3. Report back with both number from 1 and 2. Then we'll see a little clearer.

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

How do I post the screen shots? I have them, I saved the print screens in a paint document. I have used the disk clean up several times to free space and have defragged my computer on several occasions, including just now using the defraggler suggested by the first guy to post. So hopefully, my disk should be cleaned and defragged ready for action. I had also restored my computer to an earlier date and defragged, then restarted my system, as suggested, by that it as far as I have got so far. The defrag took a long time with the Piriform Defraggler.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/tutorial-how-to-post-a-picture-on-htg?replies=25 - for posting screenshots.

Defrag will not really help. You may pick up a few bytes, but that is insignificant.

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

I have tried the command using cmd however it strangely says that I do not have the correct permissions to run this command. I do not understand why as I am the only user on this computer and have the administrator setting.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

You have to open cmd as admin. Right click on the cmd shortcut and "Run as admin".

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Posted 8 years ago

whs

BTW: The content of the cmd window you can paste directly into the Reply window here. Right click on the cmd window, click on " Select ALL" > that makes the whole cmd window yellow. Then right click on the cmd window > That will store the info into your clipboard. That you can then paste into the Reply window here.

PS: you seem to have problems posting something. What is the problem?

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Having a little trouble trying to get the photos on, but i'm working on it.
Thanks for the tip running the cmd as the admin, i've now done this but also can't post the results. I'll get there...

Posted 8 years ago

whs

see my last post

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

CMD Admin attempt

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Ok, so this is what I got when running the cmd command:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Shadow Copy Storage association
For volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{b7007bc2-1912-11dc-9b63-806e6f6e6963}\
Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{b7007bc2-1912-11dc-9b63-806e6f6e69
63}\
Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 0 B
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 0 B
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 0.993 GB

C:\Windows\system32>

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Ok, so I can't seem to use the IMG code for these images but I can do the link thing, so here goes, hope you guys can see these. Defraggler Report

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Hmm, so there is no space allocated for restore points. That is good for disk usage but not so good for your safety. I suggest you either allocate shadowstorage so that you have at least some restore points for the day your system goes south (let me know if you wnt to do that and I tell you how), or better even, make regular images of your system. For that you need an external disk of about 250GBs. Here is one of my tutorials which tells you how:

1. The short version: http://www.vistax64.com/softwa.....crium.html

2. The detailed comprehensive version: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I

Posted 8 years ago

whs

The WinDirStat looks good. Total usage 51.5GBs of which about 21GBs are your user files (which is a tat high, but that depends of what you have - e.g. a lot of Videos can do that).
What is actually the total size of your C disc?

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

So this one is the WinDirStat report thingy
WinDirStat

Posted 8 years ago

whs

You are getting closer. You have to left click on the IMG code to highlight it, then right click on it and "Copy". Now you can paste it here.

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

WHS... Thanks for that, I do have a few video clips from my camera stored on here at the mo, though I would not have thought they were particularly large files, most are only 30secs long. I shall have to look into that 'restore point' stuff as I don't really understand that. Also, may be a dumb question, but why is that not good for my saftey? Cheers

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Another attempt at uploading a photo using the IMG, sorry if it doesn't work and i'm clogging the thread with blank posts! (Bare with me, I am new to this!) :)

... ok, so that was unsuccessful also. I am right clicking and copying the IMG code, pasting it into the Image box on this post and still not seeing the pic! Argh!

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Thought I would try the CHKDSK command again and see what got brought up.

C:\Windows\system32> CHKDSK
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is ACER.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
153024 file records processed.
File verification completed.
1787 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
44 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
202408 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
153024 security descriptors processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
24693 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
37528992 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

53633002 KB total disk space.
50221252 KB in 117246 files.
71800 KB in 24694 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
267930 KB in use by the system.
63776 KB occupied by the log file.
3072020 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
13408250 total allocation units on disk.
768005 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Hmm, I really do not understand why you have so much trouble with the IMG. But you might as well just post the link - like you have done before for the WinDirStat picture. That is as good as any.

Regading restore points and images. If you have restore points or images, you can always set your system back to a prior point. Imagine one day you catch a virus. Usually it is very, very difficult to get rid of a virus. And even if you do get rid of it, it may have done irrepairable damage to your system. In that case you set back to a prior restore point or image (e.g. from 5 days earlier) and your system is good again - will ook exactly like it looked 5 days ago.
If you do not have either restore points or images, your only option is to reinstall the whole system - and that is a pain.

Another advantage is for files. If you ever accidently deleted files that you cannot recover any more, you can find them in the restore points or the images of earlier days. For recovery from restore points there is a program called Shadow Explorer ( http://forum.thewindowsclub.co.....lorer.html ) and with images you have to only mount the image and you can copy any of your files back in.

It is, by the way, a good practice to store your data in a seperate Data Partition ( http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....ition.html )

I think now you have enough to think about. But you still did not tell me what is the total size of your C.

PS: The chkdsk results are good - no issues.

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

My C drive is 50GB. It is saying I have 3.22 GB free of 51.1GB.
I have currently restored it to an ealrier date, could this be why I no longer have any restore points?
I have now removed all of my videos from my computer to a USB stick and I still have no room on my C drive! All I have on here is music and a few documents now, I really can't understand why it is so full! Its nuts!

Thanks for all your suggestions though, I really do appreciate your time! :)

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Newest WinDirStat report

Right. One last WinDirStat report now that I have deleted my videos. Think i'll leave it here for tonight. Thanks for all your help so far peeps! :)

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Hmm, your C drive is really too small. Lets see what we can do about that. If you linked a picture of your COMPUTER, I could have a look.

The restore could have deleted your restore points. But the MAXIMUM in your shadowstorage was very small. Given that an average restore point needs about 1GB, there is not enough space for any. But that may be a result of your C disc being so full - there is no room for shadowstorage anyhow. That's why we have to make it bigger (if there is roon on your drive - if not, we may be able to make some room, but for that I need the pic of Computer).

You may also want to inspect your user files. Maybe there are some duplicates or other oddities. Over 20GBs of user files is very odd given that you had only puny videos. The next largest files would be Pictures and Music. The Documents usually take only very little space.

One more thing that could help - if you opened USERS on the WinDirStat so that I can see what is hidden behind the 21Gbs. Just click on the little x-box in front of it. Open it enough (further downstream if neccessry) and link the pic.

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Right. Here is the WinDirStat with user info. I know I have a lot of music but what is the other 20GB made up of??
WinDirStat with User info

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Right, this one is the WinDirStat with the windows box expanded so you can see where the other 20GB are being used.

WinDirStat with Windows info

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Well, here you go. Its your Music that takes nearly 20GBs. Better check that.

On the system side things look rather normal although you winsxs folder is rather big. But there is really nothing you can do about it. This is a funny "folder" anyhow because in reality it is an inventory folder of other folders. Did you install and uninstall a lot of programs in the past or do you have a set of games?

Post a snip of COMPUTER too.

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

Yes, 16GB's of MP3's, saw that on the first WinDirStat post. That's a lot of music.

Also, the BIG GREEN area on the lower right, a DLL? SYSTEM.DATA.NI.DLL, I looked on my W7 x64 bit system, I have a few of them,

==============
c:\>dir system.data.ni.dll /s
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 1C5C-DD5E

Directory of c:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System.Data\935ac02
0241e59cab3287d5eb38c592d

08/11/10 06:36 AM 6,618,624 System.Data.ni.dll
1 File(s) 6,618,624 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\System.Data\baa49ee
61e6686957041237d900742f4

08/11/10 06:39 AM 8,692,736 System.Data.ni.dll
1 File(s) 8,692,736 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_32\System.Data\92ccced
c7cda413ff6fc6492cb256b58

06/25/10 05:53 AM 6,754,816 System.Data.ni.dll
1 File(s) 6,754,816 bytes

Directory of c:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\System.Data\e9e70b6
a7652bad9c2234e3dfd4d7d7a

10/13/10 02:08 PM 8,485,376 System.Data.ni.dll
1 File(s) 8,485,376 bytes

Total Files Listed:
4 File(s) 30,551,552 bytes
0 Dir(s) 124,325,220,352 bytes free
========

I have both the 32 and 64 bit ones, and I guess you have the 32 bit version of Windows. Those are 6 to 8 MB's in size, I have 2 versions of them for each bit size. Can you verify the size of that big green file? It seems quite large to others?

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

Squidge

Hey, Just thought I would update you all with the latest on my annoyingly full C: Drive. Apparently, the Winsxs file I have which is using up a lot of space is the whole reason my computer is full. After doing some research my boyfriend discovered that this file was put into vista to make up for some error on the previous version of Windows and this file has actually been a huge design fault in Vista. This file makes a copy of everything that you do on this computer. So say I installed Adobe, it would create a file for the install, a file for the programme and another file when I uninstall it. It then keeps all of these files in the Winsxs file and you can never delete them! My bloke has tired installing some AVG clean upsoftware and other things he has been advised to download to try and override the permissions to delete it but it will not have it!!!! The other annoying thing is that I have a 50GB Data drive which is absolutely empty as I cannot seem to save anything to it. Apparently lots of Vista users are having this issue! How annoying is this??!!!

Posted 8 years ago

whs

As I said earlier, there is nothing you can do about winsxs. That is why I asked you at one time whether you have installed and uninstalled a lot of programs. because that is one way to grow the winsxs folder. If you run WinDirStat, you can have a look what is in it. But if you muck around with it, your system will fail at some point.
The problem with your data drive is very strange. Maybe you can elaborate a bit more and we can try to fix it. Maybe we can move all your user data folders to there. That is quite simple - if you know how to do it right. For starters I would ask you to post a snip of your "COMPUTER" window. Here is how: https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-post-a-picture-clean-version?replies=16

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.