The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Hard drive critical error and system restore error, please help!

(2 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by stagsrule77
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1167 times

stagsrule77

Hi, I've just recieved a critical hard drive error which I believe is a virus. My browser suddenly dissapeared and I got loads of hard drive critical error warning messages across my screen as well as in the bottom corner telling me that there was no space left on the hard drive etc. I then got a system restore program come up prompting me to buy the full program in order to successfully remove all the problems with the hard drive. I have been looking around and have seen that this virus is quite common and you can get rid of it.
The problem I have however, is that after I recieved the virus, I panicked and tried to restore my computer to an earlier date. It didn't work however and it came up with an error message whilst restoring. Now everytime I turn my computer on, it appears with a first screen that says "Keyboard Language Options," Once I have chosen United Kingdom it then comes up with a system recovery options screen that gives me two option the first is to use recovery tools to select an operating system to repair but there is nothing there and I dont know what to choose when I select load drivers or I can choose to restore using a system image you created earlier. After choosing the latter it then just says there has been an error and that I must restart and so I can't get any further then theis screen, it just keeps going round and round. Has anyone seen this before and if so could you please help me? My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L450D-119 and unfortunately I don't have a recovery disc. Thanks.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

That is a nice virus. Probably hard to get rid of. If you can find the name of the virus, you may find a removal procedure on the internet.

In the interim, you might want to scan the system with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Put them on a stick and run them from there. Maybe once the virus is removed, you can restore the system. This you have to do in any case because the virus certainly left some damage - even after removal. Else you are ready for a reinstall.

For the future, you might want to do some images from time to time. Then you can always bail yourself out in no time. I recommend you use Free Macrium - it is the easiest, fastest and most reliable option. http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.