The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Found new hardwear wizard keeps poping up, again..

(27 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by billj
  • Latest reply from billj
  • Topic Viewed 4708 times

billj

I know this is already a topic- but no real answer to MY problem
Problem: Found new hardwear wizard keeps poping up on start up !
I have already found "unknown device" in the Device manager & have disabled & removed it, however after a few days it returns sgain
I have not installed any new hardware
Ad ware & virus scans show nothing
Windows XP professional sp 3
HELP!

Posted 8 years ago

vistamike

billj, have you connected a usb device recently? It could be that xp is still looking for a/the driver. This can happen when you connect a scanner/camera.
I doubt whether this is a virus prob....but I could be wrong here, never seen it before
Do you see a usb device connected? If so, rt click and safely remove/eject then reboot

Mike

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Thanks for the tip- could be something to do with the USB drive i have connected, but this problem is only recent - Will do some tests & see if that is the answer- Thanks again
Bill

Posted 8 years ago

mfletch

When the pop-up shows there should be a option to not be reminded of it again or something similar,

Just tick it and that should be that.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

If you are plugging and unplugging different USB devices in XP the installing hardware device wizard seems to continue to popup on almost every reboot. Make sure you use the removal tool and select the proper device or you will get this wizard again.

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Thanks germ-x- even if i ensure i use the removal tool before i unplug any USB device the wizard keeps comming back, even if i remove it from the device manager it still comes back , but not every time i re boot & this has just started recently.. Some MS update causing this ??

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Leave your USB devices Unplugged until after you have windows running. When you plug your USB device in do you get the wizard. The same goes when shutting down, Unplug your USB devices first. On restart do you get the message. If not then plug your device in and see if you get the message again. Click on ok to allow the wizard to install. This might take a few times but should clear itself.

Posted 8 years ago

magicnicho

I agree with germ-x, a proper plugin-install-unplug process may clear it up, as long as you know which USB device did you plug in before.

Otherwise if the device does not matter anymore and your computer still working fine without this installation, you can try to simply disable the message, (as far as I remember OS should have such option, does it?) so it shouldn't pop up anymore. In some particular cases, the message may pop up several times, so you can disable it each single time to entirely disable it.

Least try it and let's see how it goes.

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Following ur advise- the only USB now connected is the mouse, but again today on boot up it started again.
NB. as i said at the start "found "unknown device" in the Device manager & have disabled & removed it, however after a few days it returns sgain"
Maybe i just have to live with it ??
Thanks for the help.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Do you have an old ps2 mouse you can try? This will eliminate your USB mouse driver from being loaded on every start if that is the problem.

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Yes, will try that also, but any idea why this is just happening now ?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Umm. Try turning off Autoplay.

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Thanks LH will try that as well * let U know
Bill

Posted 8 years ago

billj

After trying all that & 3 days with no wizard poping up it is back again this morning on second start up ( have uninstalled this unknown device again in the device manager)- i give up!!!

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

it may be your USB mouse is reinitializing on bootup. Leave the unknown device and use Windows hardware Wizard to see if it is your mouse that is trying to install. If not look at the hardware options that the wizard displays and this might help you figure out what is this unknown device and finally it will install. lol

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Six days of no problems & back again this morning on start up
This is the details of the Unknown Device from the device Manager Id <ROOT\LEGACY_FLTMGR\SOFTWARE
> any ideas ???

Posted 8 years ago

DataKiller

No.

Posted 8 years ago

vistamike

DataKiller, Please be constructive.. You have been registered for 6 hours and you have not helped anyone. Either follow the forum rules or get blocked. I am responding to a complaint.

Mike

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Thank U vista Mike- we dont need people like that !

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Problem still not solved - Any one else have any constructive ideas ?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Can you get a notebook and start writing / jotting exactly what you are plugging & unplugging in your system every day. This may seem like a useless task but it helps when you are good for two weeks and then bingo it pops up again. It might be one device that is unloading its driver and then it wants to load again. The other thing is to look in device mgr when things are good. Take a screenshot so you can look at the difference when things go bad. The hardest things to fix are the ones that only show their face every couple of weeks. lol

g-x

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Thanks but did ALL that- did not help!

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

When you did that what did it show as the possible culprit?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Could be a corrupt fltmgr.sys driver
Open a Command Prompt (as Administrator), and run the command,
sfc /scannow

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Thanks germ-x- But i already posted all that info.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Is this a laptop? Do you remember doing an update around the time this started happening?

Posted 8 years ago

billj

Problem solved – I think! No problems for about a week now have been following a new procedure for removing my USD devices.
Noticed just after I receive “safe to remove hardware” there was sudden activity on the HDD.
If I then wait about 6 seconds & then remove the device no problems. Don’t know why but it seems to work.

Accepted Answer · Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.