How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Formatted Hard Drive; "Invalid System Disk" Boot

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by JamesTKirk
  • Latest reply from UKHank
  • Topic Viewed 2712 times

JamesTKirk

hello everyone,

I have a laptop, Laptop #1. I had XP installed on it. I formated the drive, but didn't use the format /s option in the dos prompt like I should of. Instead, I selected a right click on the drive and selected format in the menu. Why do they allow this option in the right click menu when it doesn't do format /s automatically for you. That seems like the only sensible and user friendly option.

Now when I turn in on, I get an "Invalid System Disk" error message. Press any key to retry. This happens everytime that I turn it on.

I took out the CD and made sure that was no CD in the drive.

I turned on the computer. Still the "Invalid System Disk" error.

I went to the Bios and made sure that the hard drive was detected.

In the Bios, I reset the Bios to "Default Settings"

And, just to make sure that the Bios was set to the Default settings, I even took out the CMOS battery. Then put the battery back in.

So I went to the Bios and set the Boot Sequence to Boot from the CD first, then boot from the Hard Drive second.

I don't have an A Drive for 3.5" Diskettes, so I can't make an ERD start up emergency repair boot disk, but I put the system files from the Windows System folder on the Drive, copy *.* c:

I took out the CD drive. I turned it on. When I received the error for the CD drive missing, I pressed ESC. I turned off the computer and put the CD drive back in.

I put the XP disk into the drive.

So I thought that if I used two laptops and two hard drives, that I would be able to resolve this issue. Laptop #1 = Dell Latitude D610 Pentium M.
Hard Drive #1 = Problem Drive. Laptop #2 = XP Running Computer, No Issues, Dell Latitude Pentium 3. Hard Drive #2 = XP is Installed on it, No Problems.

I put Hard Drive #2 in Laptop #1. I turned it on. It started to boot and the windows splash screen showed up. Then it went to a blue screen with the error message of "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" and froze.

So put Hard Drive #1 (the original one) back in Laptop #1 and this time connected Hard Drive #2 (the one with XP installed on it) as a USB External Drive, and turned it on. Still the "Invalid System Disk" error.

I turned it off. I turned it on and went to the Bios. Hard Drive #2 is not detected in the Bios, nor is there an empty listing for its slot, such as Secondary Drive: <None>, although the Primary Drive listing does show up for Hard Drive #1.

I put Hard Drive #1 (the formatted problem drive) into Laptop #1 as the internal Primary Drive. I turned on the computer. Still the "Invalid System Disk" error.

I turned it off. This time I connected Drive #2 (XP installed) as the USB External Drive.

I turned it on. Still the "Invalid System Disk" error.

So this time I put Hard Drive #2 back into the Primary Drive slot of Laptop #2 and connected Hard Drive #1 as the External Drive this time.

I turned it on. XP loaded normally with no problems. An extra drive letter popped up, Drive D. Laptop #2 has detected Drive #1 inside the Windows OS. At this point I can transfer files to Drive #2 and they show up with no problems. I can run programs from Drive #2 here.

I turned it off. I went to the Bios and did not see Drive #1 (IDE slot 2 as the USB External Drive), but Drive #2 showed up as the Primary Drive.

I turned it on and started the windows setup program to try to install windows on Drive #1. The windows installation began and everything was fine. Then when windows had to reboot to finish the installation process, it did not detect the second drive, the External Drive as Drive #1, and so the setup process could go no further, and an error message showed up on the screen: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and path and disk hardware".

I turned it off. I turned it on. Now there is two listings to choose from of XP before the splash screen. I chose the second XP in the listing. Laptop #2 booted normally.

I turned it off. I turned it on. This time I chose the first in the listings of XP. Then I got the "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and path and disk hardware" error message again.

This time I put Drive #2 in Laptop #1 as the internal drive, and connected Drive #1 as the External Drive. I turned it on. There are two listings of XP to choose from. I selected the second one and again received the blue screen with the "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" error message and froze.

I turned it on. There are two listings of XP. I selected the first one. Windows tries to boot and makes it to the splash screen -- then the blue screen with the "Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" error message and freezes.

I disconnected the External Drive #1. I turned it on. I selected the first listing of XP. Now I receive the "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and path and disk hardware" error message again.

Man, this is tough. What a pain. And I thought that I knew about computers. I could solve this problem if I had a desktop computer, or could get to a Dos Prompt from a fresh boot, but I'm starting to find out that laptops suck and need to be thrown in the trash or used as a paper weight. And talk about user friendly. Don't these computer manufactures know what the idea was for computers was originally? Its called being "Computer Friendly". Yet these computer manufactures can't even make a laptop to be built with a boot to Dos Prompt command at the start up.

Not to mention the difficulties that Windows gives you by no being able to uninstall windows if it is the only operating system on your computer. I gave you a direct order computer. Do what I say!!! There needs to be a system overide switch for this artifical intelligence thing. I can see how it could be potentially dangerous, harmful, or disasterous. Now build a space station mothership guided by AI -- no manual over ride: the whole colony dies.

If you have any ideas, that's be great, because I thought that I was smart, but they keep ungrading and changing the software and hardware so often that its difficult to keep up with how fast that technology is moving. I know there's someone smarter than me out there...

Help the space station,

Sincerely,

James T Kirk USS Enterprise

Posted 6 years ago

neilmac78

Your Disk #1 has been formatted, no way around it everything on it is gone. You get the Blue Screen when you install the HDD # 2 into the laptop #1 because the drivers are not the same(hard drives only work on the laptop that a operating system was installed on unless you format it and do a fresh install)

Now you can try to undelete the files on the hard drive that you formatted, this requires some tech skills. You need KILLDISK software downloaded from cnet.com, a blank CD or DVD disk and ISO burning software. In killdisk it gives you the option to undelete partitions( hard drive sections) that were deleted.
it is not 100% that you will get you files or even you operating system back, but worth a shot.

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

JamesTKirk

Hello NeilMac78! Thanks for the reply.

I was running running windows on an intel Del. I put the Linux Puppy disc into the CD drive, but it wouldn't boot and still gives the "Invalid System Disk" error.
I purposely formatted the drive because I was unable to uninstall Windows with the AI "I'm taking over" message of "You cannot delete the drive, it contains your operating system" even though I gave the AI a direct command. Ok, Ok, where's the manual overide switch to this AI? I formatted the drive so that I could install XP Home with service pack 2 to be able to install an essential program. If I use the "undelete files" command, I'll still be left with the XP Pro, which is what I was trying to get rid of in the first place to be able to install XP Home.

I have heard of the "KillDisk" command. But what is the difference between format and "KillDisk"? KillDisk is a low level format, but what does that mean? And when would I use that command in this whole process. Also, can you -only- use this command "inside" of the Linux OS. Because I really don't know much about Linux. In fact, I'm really starting to dislike Linux, because every time that I use it, it only makes things worse. In fact, it is the reason why another Laptop that I have no longer runs....

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

Hi, JamesTKirk,

Welcome here.

On your laptop #1;

When you're in Windows, you can not format the drive that has the Windows OS on it simple because a multitude of system files are loaded in memory. You can only format the drive outside of Windows. You are receiving "Invalid System Disk" error because the system tries to boot from the hard drive but it is not bootable.

So want to install XP Home, just put the XP Home CD into CD drive. Go to BIOS and configure it to make the CD drive boot 1st. Reboot and when the message "To boot from CD, press any key" just press any key and follow the instructions and install XP Home. You can format the hard drive from within here just to make sure the drive it is properly formatted (clean with no remnants of the previous re-installations and preferably NTFS file system).

On your laptop#2;

I hope no system files got corrupted during the shuffling.

Good luck

Posted 6 years ago

JamesTKirk

thanks a lot G41M for your reply!
thanks everyone for you help, this has helped me figure out a way to accomplish this problem, with one problem solving technique at a time.

I solved the problem: it was a bad CD. I put in another CD. but just in case i downloaded the 98 startup disk for the system files. I can't believe that I need two windows CDs just to run one computer, grrrr. that's ridiculous!!!!!

thanks a lot guys,

"Beam me up Scotty"
--Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 6 years ago

UKHank

I had a similar problem trying to load XP on a new HDD
The solution was to pop the new hard drive in a caddy attach it to another PC and then using -- Administrative tools - Computer management - Disk management - Remove the partitions and re-format the disk with NTFS

After that the XP disk worked.

Win 98 loaded on the disk before, so I reckon it is a problem for XP if the disk is in FAT32

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.