How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - folder won't delete in Vista

(14 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 17332 times

SarahJames

Hi,

I've got another vistaquirk I hope you can help me with.
I downloaded a lot of icons. After I sorted them out I wanted to delete the original folders. But there is one with a couple of subfolders, all empty, that I can't delete. I get the message 'Can't find the item'
'The item no longer exists in this folder. Check the location of the item and try again'.
I've tried takeing ownership of the folder as described here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista
But that is apparently not the problem. I can't delete the darn thing!

Anyone any suggestions?
Thanks!
Sarah

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

If you have CCleaner. Use that to clean the the registry. If not try
http://www.pcworld.com/downloa.....ption.html
download, install, run (but just use the registry cleaner part)

Posted 9 years ago

SarahJames

Hi Lighthouse,

I have CCleaner, but it didn't help, so I downloaded RegSeeker, but that didn't do the trick either.
Th folder still doesn't want to delete.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Could be something is locking up the folder, try booting in Safe Mode (F8 while your system is posting) and then deleting it from there.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

try taking ownership of the individual subfolders and delete them that way.
You do have everything unhidden (system files & hidden files/folders)?

Posted 9 years ago

SarahJames

I use Xplorer2 to see hidden and systemfiles. There simply isn't anything in the folder. That's also what properties says: size 0 bytes,
size on disk 0 bytes, 0 files, 6 folders
And for one reason or the other it also got blue letters for description, not black as the other folders.

Here's a screenshot:

I'll try the boot in Safe Mode later tonight - maybe that works.

Posted 9 years ago

SarahJames

Tried to reboot in safemode, but F8 gives me the choice where to boot from, not the boot in safemode-option.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

It is blue because it is compressed. The 0 bytes etc. does not necessarily mean that it is empty. Maybe it is a repository for your Icons. You can try to move it to an SD card and then pull the card. That's what I have sometimes done with stubburn folders. Then I have reformatted the SD card on another PC. I keep a small 16MB card especially for cases like that. But I would wait a while and see whether the missing folder does not make trouble of some sort.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Blue letters means the folder is compressed, although that shouldn't cause a problem with deleting.

Otherwise, sometimes there's a corrupted file/folder in a subfolder, which has a name that Windows explorer can't process because the name doesn't match the file table or something.

What I'd recommend is running chkdsk to cleanup the problem:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

[edit] Checkdisk will fix any problems with the file system, enabling Explorer to be able to delete the file/folder. Normal file access rules do apply, of course.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Thanks Geek, my memory failed me again on the compressed vs hidden. I corrected it.

Posted 9 years ago

SarahJames

I think it has to do with the name that Windows explorer can't process, because at the end of the folders there are two (in two seperate subfolders) with the name (1)CamaroPourpre_f and I believe they are the cause. I tried renaming, but no luck (figured it wouldn't work, but had to try just in case;-D). I have a 500 GB harddrive, so I'll schedule Check Disk for tomorrow - it may take a while before that is done!
I'll let you know how that works out.

Goodnight!
Sarah.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

ok. download & run
http://www.freecommander.com/
go to the the folder. Rename & delete

Posted 9 years ago

SarahJames

OK, this rocks! Forgot how handy Freecommander can be;-)
Thanks Lighthouse - it worked!

Canceled the check disk - thanks for that tutorial, Geek;-D

Goodnight everyone,
Sarah.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Nighty night :)

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.