The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - External HDD Troubles

(18 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by raijin
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1344 times

raijin

I was using my 750 Gb Acomdata as my external hard drive and I tried using it to directly download a torrent(pretty dumb . .I know that now). An error message occurred on the torrent (Read/Write Error). At first the computer would recognize the HDD and ask me to format it. Later on it stopped and when I checked My Computer or under hardware in the control panel it cannot be found. What can I do to rescue it (without using and/or paying for professional help)?

Posted 10 years ago

milnerw

May be a dumb question, but have you restarted the pc?

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

Yeah, I restarted the computer with the device off. Then I restarted the computer with the device already on. Pretty much all the combos between restart and shutdown and on and off for the external HDD. The computer(laptop) will still not recognize the hard drive, but I know the hard drive is still working because I remember the disk spinning and if it wasn't working, why would it completely stall the 'My Computer" window which shows all the devices connected to the computer.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

raijin, how does your external drive connect? USB, Firewire, eSATA, other? Can you see it in Disk Management?

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

Maybe I should give you guys more info on the External HDD. I connect it by USB, but it also can use eSATA connection. The thing about Disk management is that the screen would never load. I tried looking at the disk management with the external HDD connected and on, but it would just stall and would have the green bar on the top moving as if it were still loading. When I unplugged or turned off the external the disk management screen would automatically pop-up showing my internal hard drive,DVD drive , etc. I use Vista 32 bit Business and I'm on a T60 Thinkpad laptop
External HDD

Posted 10 years ago

milnerw

sounds like your HDD might be shot. have you tried using it on a second pc?

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

I've never had the opportunity to use it on a second pc, this is the only one I own

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

raijin, the suggestion by milnerw is a good one if you can get access to another system. If not, try the procedure in the following article to show non-present devices in Device Manager:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-old-drivers-after-upgrading-to-new-hardware/

Do this with the external hard drive off and/or disconnected. Uninstall all hidden (greyed out) devices under Disk Drives and USB Controllers. Reboot the system, then reconnect and power on the hard drive. It should be detected by the Found New Hardware wizard and installed again. Hopefully, this will at least make it show up in Disk Management again where you can reformat or repartition.

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

Once again thanks for all suggestions. I don't have access to my external right now because I'm at the dorms right now and my external is at my parent's house. I'll post an update over the weekend if I go home. Also, this may or may not help, but I thought I would mention it. My computer currently lists my printer as Removable Disk (F:) on the disk management screen, not sure exactly what this means, but from memory my external was also listed under this same drive, when it was functional. Later on it became the G drive( I don't know how), but anyway I thought I would mention it.

Posted 10 years ago

LH

Disk (F:) is probably a card reader on your printer.

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

I found some more information once again I' m not sure if this is useful or not, but here goes . . under Device Manager
My external is listed as a Samsung HD753LJ (I think Acomdata uses other hard drive disks and just re-packs em under their own name)
Device Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/21/06
Driver Information: 6.0.6001.18000
Haven't done the uninstallation of the hidden devices and the reconnection of the old external yet. Just making sure I give all the information just in case it is lost somehow.

Posted 10 years ago

milnerw

@raijin,
Even if your HDD was listed as Disk F, if Disk F is already taken when you plug it in, the HDD will just default to the first available drive letter that it sees. I doubt that your card reader on the printer has anything to do with it. The card reader was more than likely drive g before your HDD stopped working. Then when you restarted it, it moved to drive F because that was the first letter it saw.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

raijin, since the drive can be seen by Device Manager, you can also try running the Samsung hard drive diagnostic utility in ES-Tool. Since the original message involved a read/write error, there might be a bad sector on the drive. A full surface scan with ES-Tool might fix it and will at least tell you that the drive is working properly before you put it back to use. ES-Tool from Samsung is here:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/ES_Tool.html

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

I'm sorry about the confusion that I may have caused. I was just reading the information that was already on the device manager. I stress that I did not uninstall all the hidden devices yet and that I did not reconnect the external HDD to see if it could be read. I was just reading the information for when the external HDD was last read by my computer--this was about 6-8 months ago.

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

Update: So I finally made it back home and tried the external. As soon as I plugged it in, it popped up with all my files still there. I was able to run chkdsk on it and it said there were no bad sectors; I even managed to delete the particular files that the original read/write error came from.e. However, when I tried transferring one of my larger files, about 11 gigs, the computer at first complied but then it said that this certain file had some sort of error-it could not be located--- and a message popped up saying that the USB port had malfunctioned. When i checked disk management, my external was not there even though it was stilled plugged in and on. I'm really confused. Just a note . . I'm fairly confident that the files still exist on the external HDD, so I'm not sure what to do anymore.

Posted 10 years ago

milnerw

Go to Lowe's, buy Hammer. Come home and place said hammer next to external HDD. Your HDD will feel intimidated and magically start working...

Posted 10 years ago

raijin

I eventually fixed this problem on my own, so you can mark this as solved, but I would like for you mods to do me one favor. If someone ever comes in here and asks a question about their USB ports malfunctioning, could you send them to this site USB Device Not Recognized. Also, thanks for all the suggestions. The trick that worked for me was removing the battery and the main plug from my laptop for 30 minutes, starting from a clean restart, and not having any USB devices plugged in, especially my Logitech mouse.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

raijin, thanks for the followup. We get a lot of folks with USB problems, so I will keep this reference you gave for those cases in the future.

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.