The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - external hard drive disappeared

(19 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by curry318
  • Latest reply from curry318
  • Topic Viewed 2629 times

curry318

All of a sudden my external hard drive just disappeared. I finally found the icon, but there is nothing there. What happened? Have I lost it forever, or can it be found? I am just sick about this. I had so much stuff on there, plus it cost $128 and I've only had it about 2 or 3 years.

Posted 6 years ago

owen123

Have you checked in disk management, please ask if you need instructions

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Is the external drive openupable ?

Posted 6 years ago

curry318

When I click on the icon, it says: The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Elements (F) - Shortcut.Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.

I don't have a network and I don't have a disk.

Posted 6 years ago

curry318

I don't know what disk management is.

Posted 6 years ago

owen123

Where are you looking for the HDD, sound like not in my computer, look at this

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

It may have inadvertently changed it's drive letter. Particularly if you have added other devices, like a printer or flash drive. First check in (My) Computer and see if it is there. Then type Windows Disk Management in the start bar and select that program to run. See if it is there.

Posted 6 years ago

curry318

Thank you. I will try these things.

Posted 6 years ago

NightL

There are a lot of standard replies to this issue at
Windows 7 - Notices but does not 'see' external usb hard drive
Before you try any listed from the link above, consider the following:
This happened to me recently on a bogged down server 2003. The external drives were displaying correctly on other computers. In the end it was just some basic maintenance of a Check Disk, de-clutter of temp junk and a defrag. Then after the next restart all was in order.

Posted 6 years ago

jmeeks49

curry318,

One thing to look for in disk management in to see if the drive in question is mark "offline" just because you have a drive icon somewhere besides under computers doesn't always mean it is "online" if you don't see it in disk management find it on the left panel if it says "offline" right click on it and hit "enabled online" just a hunch but that may be it.

John

Posted 6 years ago

curry318

I am starting to think the problem is with the computer because I am noticing little things wrong with a couple of other things like the scanner scans but it won't send the item to where it is supposed to go, and my photo editing software does some things, but not others, my computer is extremely slow to start and this all happened at the same time, but I just didn't notice it at first. What do you think? I don't want to call Dell because they will want an arm and a leg. Do you think if I got something like Pit Stop, that would help? It's been a long, long time since my computer had any attention like that. Maybe it's just needing a tune up or something.

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

Hi Curry318. If you suspect your computer may have malware that's causing problems then
Install, Run & update these two Apps and scan your PC with each one.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/pr.....bytes_free
http://www.superantispyware.com/ (Get the FREE version)

Lastly, Install CCleaner to clean up all the junk on your system.
Do NOT run CCleaner's "registry cleaner" or any other "registry fix" or "registry cleaner."
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Jim

Posted 6 years ago

curry318

Here's the latest on this matter: I tried many of your ideas and had no luck. I did do the CCleaner which made my computer work better and start fast again, but it didn't do anything for the hard drive. So I took the external hard drive to CompuParts. They said the problem was the board and recommended a place called Drive Savers Data Recovery. I talked to them and it could cost upwards from $700 which is impossible for me. My insurance has a $500 decuctible. Drive Savers will take payments. So I guess I just have to decide if it is worth it and if I can do it. They also will pay to ship it both ways and give me a free diagnosis. I am going to do that so I can find out what happened and how much it would cost.

I want to thank you all for trying so hard to help me. I am keeping all your ideas for future use, just in case. I don't think I will ever buy another external hard drive again, though. I'm just going to use little flash drives unless any of you have a better idea. If you do, please tell me. I have tried many online ways to store pictures, but they were terrible and I lost a lot of pictures.

Thank you all again. I appreciate your help. I do have other little problems which I will be sending you later. :) Pat

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Did you ever try it on a different computer??

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Also, take the HDD out of the external enclosure and stick it into another enclosure. Maybe there is nothing wrong with the HDD but the electronics in the current enclosure fail.

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Also, one bad experience should not a never make. I have disks in enclosures that are years old. Some are 40GB to show how old. The only trouble I've had with any drives or flash drives is one 1GB flash drive that somehow became write protected. In any event important files, pictures, etc. MUST always reside in at least two places never in just one no mater what type device it is.

If you remove your pictures from your computer to a removable drive they are NOT backed up, they are on the removable only.

Posted 6 years ago

curry318

What do you think the best way to store them is? - flash drives, CD's, DVD's or what? I can't keep them all on my computer because there are thousands and I get more every day. Computers can fail, too, so what's the best thing to do?

No, I did not try it on another computer because I don't have another one. CompuParts said it was the board.

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

The point is that you need two copies. There is nothing wrong with external drives, but you should never trust important things to a single device. Always have a backup. You need something, actually two somethings, large enough to hold them.

Posted 6 years ago

curry318

I know. I just forgot because I was trusting that thing so much. I don't think I will be doing that again! Many places that I bought ebooks or scrapbooking supplies from are letting me download them again, so that helps ease the pain of losing so much stuff. And I remember that I did have a lot of stuff on flash drives and a LOT of stuff stored in Microsoft Works that is still ok. I will survive! :)

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.