The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - explorer.exe loads up slowly on startup. (can take up to 5-10 min)

(114 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by nike1
  • Latest reply from nike1
  • Topic Viewed 19983 times

nike1

Hey.

I've had this issue before, but it didn't happen every time i start, so i just ignored it. And i didn't have to wait that long before either...

I got a new laptop a few weeks ago, at first it was running just great. But now a few days ago something has happened to it. When i start it up, it's just like explorer.exe refuses to start. I can't see any icons, the taskbar, or anything. Only the wallpaper is visible. After waiting a while it suddenly starts, and it seems like everything else has started up too (all the other programs that starts on startup), cause when it shows up, it doesn't load, it's ready to be used.

I was just wondering if there is a way to fix this, or if anybody know what's going on here?

I'm pretty sure it's not a virus, i haven't been downloading anything i don't trust, and nobody else than me have been using the computer.

Oh and btw, i'm running Windows XP Professional, and here's a link to my computer specs if you need em':
http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardwa.....6530b.html

Thanks in advance.

Posted 8 years ago

nerdygeek6

hi nike
soz i cant totally help you but..... i can point u in some direction >>>>>>>>>>>Make windows faster

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Oh okey. Thanks, but i already know about those speed tweaks. I don't however think that it will boot up faster by using those tweaks. Still.. thanks.

Anyone else?

Posted 8 years ago

JHubbard92

Hello nike1 and welcome to How-To-Geek,

You could try defragmenting your hard drive, I recommend using Defraggler rather than Windows built in one.

Also try typing without quotes "sfc /scannow" into command prompt, which can be accessed by typing cmd into Vistas Start Menu search box - (this will simply check System files for problems.)

Hope This Helps

Jordan

Posted 8 years ago

najkiie

Thanks JHubbard92.

Is a defragment really needed already? I mean.. i've only had the computer for max 3 weeks. Anyways, i'll give it a shot.

I think i forgot to mention that it doesn't happen every time i start it, only some times. Normally it just boots up fine, but some times it just kinda hangs at that step. (starting explorer.exe)

I'm running XP. When i entered that into the cmd, i got an error saying the command couldn't be completed. (something like that, i'm running XP in Swedish, so idk the exact translation)

Posted 8 years ago

JHubbard92

Yeah, give a defragment a try, after one week my computer was 8% fragmented. Sorry I misread.

Give it a go and see, it might not make a great difference.

Also give this a try.

Jordan

Posted 8 years ago

najkiie

2% of the hd was fragmented. It completed and i restarted the computer. It booted up pretty quickly, until it got to the step where it starts explorer.exe. I had to wait for almost 2 minutes for explorer to run. And i can't open the task manager either, cause it wont open until explorer has started.

I'll give the disk check a try, but i dont wanna mess something up now heh. I got the computer from my school, when i started college, so i really need it.

btw, thanks for the help.

EDIT:
The tutorial said it could take several hours for the check to complete, so i'm going to run it tomorrow instead.

Posted 8 years ago

JHubbard92

No worries, in the mean time I will think up more solutions to your problem, try disabling some stuff at startup too, look at this thread of mine and download autoruns which was recommended in the thread by Scott, once you have downloaded autoruns have a look in the "logon" tab at stuff to disable to get explorer.exe booting a bit quicker.

Jordan

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

najkiie

You have two accounts. You are allowed only one. Which one do you want to keep?

Posted 8 years ago

JHubbard92

@ Bartman

I think one was his brothers? Or is that not allowed?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Very unlikely to be one of his brothers. Please wait until he explains.

Posted 8 years ago

JHubbard92

Edit by mod. Appreciate your concern, but can you please leave this to the Moderators.

Posted 8 years ago

JHubbard92

Im sorry, I just don't like to point the finger and jump to conclusions, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I do understand that you have procedures to follow. :)

He stated here it was one of his brothers, sorry I should have pointed it out. :P

Jordan

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Thanks for the link JHubbard92, i read through that thread and disabled some processes that i don't need. But unfortunately, the explorer.exe still doesn't start very fast. I have to wait for at least 30 seconds for explorer to start. And while i'm waiting, i can only see my wallpaper. Is there maybe a way to change the order of the programs to startup? Maybe if i make explorer start first it will load up a bit faster?

And sorry for the username mess... I've talked to LH now and nike1 is the account i'm going to use from now on.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

nike1. With no programs running, try, delete all the files in your C:\Windows\Prefetch folder, then reboot.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Ok. I just did so. But when i look into the prefetch folder again, all the files are there again. And explorer.exe still won't start directly. :/

Posted 8 years ago

LH

OK. Try this, Option 2,
http://fonetalk.wordpress.com/.....up-faster/

Edit. If that has no effect. Open a Command Prompt, and run the command,
sfc /scannow

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

"4. Once the System Configuration utility has loaded, click on the tab labeled BOOT.INI"

I don't have that tab, and i can't find that text box in any other tabs either.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Sorry. I meant option 2 in the first 1. The registry hack

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Oh okey.

By default the value was "3". I changed it to "2" and restarted. No difference at all.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

OK. run sfc as I mentioned above.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Oh it's taking so long! I'm at the last step now, 45% left. I'll post back when it's done.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Hopefully it will find something, and the wait would have been worth it :)

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Will i be able to see the result in a log file or something? Cause last time i did it it restarted the computer so quickly i didn't have any time to see the results!?

83% now :)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

You did it Command Prompt, yes. Not a Run box.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

It's done now. I was actually able to see the results as it gave me 3 seconds to read before it restarted... It said "No volume errors found", or something similar to that.

I didn't start the check using the command prompt, i rightclicked on my C drive > properties > tools > error checking

And... explorer still starts slowly.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Just in case you want to check the log,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Thanks.

In a previous post i asked if there was a way to change the order of the processes to start. Is that possible? And do you think it would make any difference if i started explorer.exe first?

What if i disable the startup of explorer.exe and then make a batch file that starts it? (i'll put the batch file in the startup dir)

But it wont start first then, will it?

Will i even be able to start the computer if i do that? I wont mess anything up, will i?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Have you done a detailed check on which processes are running after startup ?
Try with this,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Do not do what you suggested in your last post.

Edit. Also use this,
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....63902.aspx

Go through every entry. And disable what you don't need.
Even a context menu entry could hold the key to your problem.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

The sfcdetails.txt file can't be found. And when i try to navigate to %windir%\logs\, i can't find the folder "logs". (even if i view hidden files/folders)

Also... the title of the link u sent me is:
How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista

I'm on XP. That might be why i can't find it?

And yes, i've already gone through every start up item, and disabled those i don't need. I used autoruns.

A context menu item? Wow, really?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Look for C:\Windows\Logs

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

That's what i did. There is no such folder. At least not on my computer. Unless it's super hidden or something like that.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Have to go out for a couple of hours. Be back later.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Yep sure :)

Thanks for the help once again!

Posted 8 years ago

LH

I know you don't think it's a virus, but, could you run this,
http://www.pandasecurity.com/activescan/index/
It will take a long time, so probably best to start it up just before you go to bed, and leave it running overnight.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Can i scan it with Nod 32 Antivirus instead? I already have that installed...?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

I prefer you do it my way. You are not having to install a full AV program. It's an online scan.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Alrighty then. I'll start the scan directly then. I prefer not leaving the computer on at night.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Wow dude. How could this possibly happen? really? How'd it happen?

I'm practically dead right now. I wonder what my teacher is going to say when/if they find out! :O

Screenshot:
http://a.imagehost.org/0973/screenshot.png

I can't believe what just happened. On the screenshot it says that i have to register a free account to disinfect my computer. So i clicked register and then registered a new account, but right after i logged in, i got redirected to the home page again. ARE THEY KIDDING ME? There's absolutely no way i'm running that scan again!

If i'm not wrong... the virus is stored in the system restore file (folder?). Is there a way to remove all restore points?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Don't panic. It's only a scan. Now we know you are infected. so start with.
Download MBAM.
http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/
Install it. Update it. And run a deep scan.
This is a free removal tool.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Will do!

The thing is that i'm pretty sure i haven't downloaded anything that possibly could contain a virus. Can this be a false positive?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Possibly .But I would prefer to be sure that one has not been missed. You can clear those shown, out manually. But please give MBAN a run.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Alright. I've been running the scan for 15 minutes now, and it seems to be running pretty slow. It will probably take a while, but i'll post back with the results later.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Oh you youngsters. To do any good job takes time :)

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Done!

Here's the logfile: (translated to english with google translate)

------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1:40
Database Version: 2742
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

2009-09-04 23:22:45
mbam-log-2009-09-04 (23-22-38). txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C: \ | D: \ |)
Number of scanned objects: 256,244
Elapsed time: 37 minute (s), 39 second (s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Infected files: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Infected registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Active Setup \ Installed Components \ (08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-aax5-10401c608512) (Generic.Bot.H) -> No action taken.

Infected Registry Values:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C: \ RECYCLE \ S-1-5-21-1482476501-1644491937-682003330-1013 (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Infected files:
C: \ RECYCLE \ S-1-5-21-1482476501-1644491937-682003330-1013 \ Desktop.ini (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

------------

It says "No action taken", but that was before i removed the files. It said "All files removed sucessfully" after clicking remove, so i assume they are gone now. But just to be sure... is there a way to check that?

Also, i have a few questions. What exactly does a program do when it "quarantines" a file? Is it suppose to keep the system from being infected by the virus again? If so, how does that work? When i look into the quarantine, i can select the viruses and remove them. If i click remove, will i remove them from my computer, or only from the list (restore them)? And.. if i uninstall MBAM, will the quarantined items be restored?

EDIT: I forgot to say... MBAM required a restart to remove the files. And the explorer still doesn't start very fast, so i don't think the virus had anything to do with it.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Not good. Read, and follow the instructions here,
http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....22717.html

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Crap!

But how do you know the virus wasn't removed by MBAM?

I have another problem now. Since i got the computer from school, i believe it's locked somehow. I can't login into safe mode. I've tried with my normal account (which i'm admin on) and the default administrator account, but i don't know the password for the administrator acc. It just says that the password is wrong when i try to enter.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

My bad. You can use regedit to check that the registry entry is gone.
I should rescan with MBAM too.
Quarantine, is in case MBAM picks up a false positive, so that you can restore it if it does.

You can delete them from quarantine, and they will go into the recycle bin.
Now empty the recycle bin.

Can you put your new problem in a New Topic please.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Alright. I'm doing a rescan with MBAM now, and i checked if the registry entry was still there... and yes, it is!

Screenshot:
http://img196.imageshack.us/im.....gistry.png

I don't think i'm going to be able to login into safe mode, ever, on this computer. Well, maybe after college, cause then the school will "unlock" the computer. So, i won't make a new topic about that. When i login to my computer (not safe mode) i have to choose "where" i want to login. There is a dropdown menu that lets me choose between two options. I have to use the second choise in the dropdown to be able to login. And when i try to login in safe mode, i don't get that dropdown. That might be why?

Also... i googled a bit and now i know how to remove all the system restore points (exept the newest one), should i do that? Because in the log it says that two files are located in there??

Posted 8 years ago

LH

If you have a Restore Point that goes back from at least 2 before it shows up, use it.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

But i don't know when i got the virus. The first restore point is from 27th august.

I would really like not to use the restore point. What if something goes wrong and i wont be able to even start it? I need this computer. But, if there are no other options, i will restore it. But first i want to make sure i try everything else to get rid of the virus.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Did MBAM remove it this time ?

Edit. Can you open that registry key, and let us know what it says inside.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

MBAM didn't find it this time!?

The registry key is empty.

Good news? :D

Posted 8 years ago

LH

That is good news. Delete the entry, just to tidy up. Also easy to see if it comes back again.

Edit. http://www.threatexpert.com/re.....799c076018

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

WOHO! I removed the reg entry, restarted the computer, and woala, the registry entry is still gone.

Now, should i remove all my old restore points to avoid getting the virus again (if it can restore itself..?) or should i keep them?

And also... i'm going to uninstall MBAM now, cause i'm not sure i'm even allowed to have it installed o.O But i wanna be absolutely 150% sure the virus wont restore itself when i click "Remove All". Because a while ago, i had a terrible virus on my computer, and the only program that actually removed it, was Spyware doctor. But when i clicked "remove" in the quarantine, all the objects in there got restored. So i had to start over again.

Screenshot:
http://a.imagehost.org/0264/screenshot.png

And btw, thank you so much for your help. If you hadn't told me to do a scan, i would've never found out that i was infected. explorer.exe is still however not starting very quickly. But i suppose there is nothing left to do? Is there?

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

About the link u posted above..

"Creates fake Recycle Bin folder."

Is that the C:\RECYCLER\ dir? Or is that the real system restore "place"?

And also... further down on that site is says that the virus creates a file called "update.exe"

"c:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1482476501-1644491937-682003330-1013\update.exe"

But that file is NOT in my quarantine!? Is there any way to browse to that directory and check if it's there manually? Cause i can't see a folder labelled "RECYCLER" when i go into the C drive.

EDIT: I entered "C:\RECYCLER\" into the run dialog, and the folder opened. I can't however see any files in there (even if i turn on the "view hidden files" settings). I'm gonna try this and see if i can see anything. If i can't, i assume the files are gone. (..or just moved to the MBAM quarantine)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Yes. Press Delete All.
I should keep MBAM on your computer. You never know when you might need it. I do regular scans with it anyway, just in case.
I should hang on to those Restore Points for the moment. Just don't use any.

There are still a few few things we can try with the explorer issue.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Alright. The files are deleted from the quarantine now.

I said above that i was gonna try to view "super hidden" files. I just did, and i still can't see anything. So it's gone! :)

Also, the registry entry is still not there. I do however see another one now (which i believe was there before too) which has a similar name.

{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608500}
That's the one. And here's the name of the removed one:
{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-aax5-10401c608512}

As you see, pretty much half of the name is the same. Should i be worried?

edit: i don't think that's harmful... It's for Java i think. Cause there is a key in there called (standard) and the value is "Java (sun)".

OK, i will keep MBAM then.

Great, let's hear the other things for the explorer issue then :)

Also... i think i should mention that the slow startup of explorer.exe is not only on my laptop. My friend is also having the same issue and he also got it from school (same school, same laptop etc..).

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Do you know if the school installed any specific software on the laptops ?

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Yeah, i do. But i don't know all of them thought.

Some of them are:

All Adobe applications (CS3)
ESET Nod 32 Antivirus
.NET Framework
Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2007
WAMP Server

Do you want a list of all installed programs?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Yes please.
Also. Download and run this,
http://download.bleepingcomput.....mboFix.exe

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Here's the ComboFix scan log:
http://www.speedyshare.com/879687642.html

And here's a list of all installed programs:
http://www.speedyshare.com/580661671.html

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

I got 3 new folders in my C drive after running the scan:

SWSetup
SDFix
Qoobox

the Qoobox folder contains a folder called Quarantine, and there are a few files in there. Can i remove those folders?

Edit: I can't access My computer anymore. The computer just hangs and i have to restart explorer. :S

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Shut down the computer. Wait 10 seconds. Restart.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Have done. Still can't open My Computer. The window just hangs when i open it.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Darn. I have to go out for an hour. Please hang on.
You can try the latest Restore Point if you want.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Alrirght. I'll try to restore it.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

The restore didn't help.

Edit: Now that i think about it, i don't think i restored it to before it didn't work. But there is no other restore points for today. I can restore it to yesterday, but then i have to remove the virus again. What if it doesn't work? Shall i take that risk?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Navigate to, and run this....C:\Windows\ERDNT\Hiv-backup\ERDNT.EXE

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Registry backup?

It worked now. But when i closed it and opened it again, it didn't. I think i know why it isn't working anymore though! Before, when i got the computer, i had the same issue. (exept for when i was in school)

I have 3 "disks" in My Computer that is for school. I don't know what it's called in english though... But when i'm in my school, it doesn't lag because i'm on the school network. I use those three "disks" to transfer my school work to my teacher (sometimes).

I used to use TweakUI to hide those three drives, that way it doesn't lag. (and i made them visible when i was at school ofc) But now for some reason it doesn't seem to work anymore. I tried to re-install TweakUI but it's just like it wont apply the changes. Do you know how to hide disks with a batch command? Maybe i can create two batch files, one for making them visible and then the other one for hiding them. I believe it should work somehow, i don't know how though.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Oh heck. Please do not use tweak programs. I have not met one yet, that didn't cause at least one problem. And I have tested them all for our members here.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Why shouldn't i use tweak programs? Are you saying that the three "disks" didn't cause the problem? I'm sorry, i didn't quite get what u ment? :)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

I am guessing by 3 disks, you mean 3 partitions.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Nah, not partitions. I can show you how the icon looks like:

Those are not partitions, right!?

EDIT: Heheh, i get what you mean in the post above now. (i'm tired.. sorry) When i got the computer i had two partitions. The C drive and the D drive. I don't know why i have the D drive as it only has the capacity of 9GB and is completely empty. I haven't made any new partitions. I also had those three "disks" (on the screenshot) in My Computer.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

D drive sounds like it was/is a recovery partition. You sure there are no hidden files in there ?

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Pretty sure. I'm not going to remove it anyways as i don't think i'm allowed to. Btw, do you know what kind of "disks" i'm talking about? And do you know how to hide/show drives with batch commands? :)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Type diskmgmt.msc into a Run box. What do you see ?

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

As i said.. two partitions.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Here's a screenshot of My Computer. What i was trying to explain before by saying "disk" was network devices. It says "Nätverksenheter" on the screenshot, that translates to "Network Devices". And i believe those are the reason to why My Computer is laggy!

I figured out that if i open My Computer, it does open, but it takes like ~5 minutes. A little bit too long, don't ya think? I have it open right now actually. It doesn't want to go away now, i can't close it. I have to figure out a way to fix this. I can't stand it!

Posted 8 years ago

nerdygeek6

just right click and click disconnect- im not sure i aint used them in a while

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Good idea heh. Never thought of that ^^ I wonder if i have that option?

It's not as easy as it sounds though. I can barily open My Computer, or close it. I'll give it a shot though. You don't think there are any other ways to disconnect do you?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Do any of your other friends, from the same school, have the same laptop, that does work ok ?

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

I asked another one of my friends now, and he can't open "My Computer" either.

In a previous post i said that i used TweakUI to hide those network devices from "My Computer". But that doesn't work anymore. I have no idea why, but it just doesn't. If i could get that to work again, it wouldn't lag.

Or maybe i can just do as nerdygeek said - disconnect. But when i think about it, i'm not connected. Not right now. Only when i'm on the school network, and when i am, it doesn't lag. It only lags when i'm disconnected. So i don't think "disconnecting" would work as i ain't connected now. I have to "disable" or hide that drive from My Computer.

And btw, i tried to open My Computer and rightclick... It still haven't opened. LOL.

EDIT: I asked another friend, that goes in the same school and has the same computer, but not in the same city, if he also has the same issue. He told me that those network devices gets automatically "disabled" or "hidden" when he isn't connected to the school's network. And when he is, it's enabled again. I, and the rest of my class, must have some kind of "bug" on our computers then?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Is your friend using TweakUI too ?

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

No. I downloaded TweakUI myself and i'm probably the only one in the class who's using it. Too bad it's not working for me anymore though :/

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Can you remember exactly what "tweaks" you did in it ?

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Nike, those are mapped network drives that you have in "My Computer". The I, J, and W volume letters are assigned by XP to access network volume shares at the school. When you are connected to the school network, these volume shares can be easily found when Explorer looks to verify that the volumes are still there. However, when you are not connected to the school network, XP is spending an inordinate amount of time waiting for a network timeout from those shares. I have seen this before in XP.

When you are not on the school network, you should disconnect from those drives so that you won't have to wait for the timeouts. You can do this in explorer by right-clicking on the drives in "My Computer" and selecting Disconnect. Since these laptops were setup by folks at the school, they might be configured to connect to those drives on every boot with an autoexec.bat file. If so, they will just keep coming back.

You can manipulate the volume shares from a Command Prompt with the "net use" command, and also use it in batch files. To disconnect a volume, the syntax is:

net use i: /delete

To reconnect, if it is not done for you automatically, the command syntax is:

net use i: \\(servername)\(pathname)

where (servername) is the full hostname of the server, such as "hstad.johnbauer.nu", and the pathname is the path on the server to the volume share, such as \shares\klassmappar\jb09 or similar. If the username and password that you use to login to XP are different than the ones that you use on the school network, you might need to specify the username and or password on the net use command line:

net use i: \\(servername)\(pathname) password /user:nike1

For more syntax on the net use command, see Microsoft's documentation.

By the way, did you ask the admins at school if they have a way to fix the timeout problem? You're probably not the first one to see it.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

And here we go ;D

@LH, i only used the tweak on the screenshot to uncheck those checkboxes, so that the mapped network drives (that's what it's called :)) wont be visible in My Computer.

@ScottW, thanks!! I'll give it a shot directly and see what happens.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Yayy, it worked.... for two of them.

The last one, (J) don't want to get deleted. I can open My Computer now, (it does take a while, but it works, and it's not as laggy as before) and i tried rightclicking and disconnecting, but then i got an error message saying the same as the cmd prompt said: "Could not find the network connection."

Weird!?

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

I restarted the computer, just to see if they would be automatically connected again... And woala, all of them were gone now.

I wonder if i'm ever going to be able to get them back though. It sounds a bit more complicated.

I think we can continue to try fixing the explorer "bug" (or whatever i should call it) now. :)

EDIT: Should the servername and path name be in parentheses when i'm enabling the drives again? And do i have to be in the schools network to enable them again? That might be why it's not working.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Go through this list, and disable the services you don't need,
http://www.blackviper.com/

I tend to just set nearly all of them (some you can't) to manual, and then just keep an eye on what is starting up.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Disabling almost all of my services may speed up my computer, but i don't think it will make explorer start faster. All of the services exists for a reason, right? So should i really disable them? My computer might run better, but what if i one way run a program that requires one of those services to be enabled? Then i'm pretty much f*ck'd. I don't think the first thing i'm gonna think of is to check if the service is enabled, and i don't think i'm gonna know which service to enable again either.

And, as i'm still in college, the computer aint fully mine yet. The school owns the computer until i get out of college, so if i mess something up, i'm pretty much screwed.

My point is, i'd like to not to disable any services. Unless you're about 99% sure that is the reason why explorer wont start quickly.

@LH: I was able to login again after clearing my cookies, cache and logging in with Internet Explorer. You can disable the other account again. Sorry for the mess.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

As I mentioned above, I set them to manual. Try that.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Done. And wow :O It actually did start much faster!!! I'm going to reboot once again just to see if it really works. Cool :D

EDIT: It works!!! :D Thank you soo much! I wonder what service it was that made it start so slow? Anyways, i really appreciate your help.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

You can find out which service, by either resetting them 1 at a time and rebooting. Or use the half method. That is where you reset half of them back to normal, and if it goes slow again, set half of those half to manual, etc, etc.
Boring process either way, but I would certainly be interested to see what's causing the problem.
Some of the services are dependent on others.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Doing that would take hours, and as you said it isn't a fun process to go through. I might do it later, but now right now.

Also, it just hit me that, could it be because of the drives? The ones that i just removed?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Could be that too. If they are looking for a connection. How do you connect up to the networks at school, and at home ?

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

No, the servername and pathname are not written in parentheses -- I was just trying to indicate that those were placeholders.

Yes, you need to be on the school network to map those drives again. If you were using TweakUI to hide the network drives, then they would still be "connected" and when not at school, you would still have to wait on the timeouts. Hiding doesn't make the problem go away, it only prevents you from seeing it!

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

@ScottW, yes, it did work. I didn't have to wait for the timeouts. My Computer opened just as quickly as it should do, and the drives weren't visible.

@LH, How i connect at school? Well, i just double click a drive to get into it. No username or password is required. And at home? I can't connect to them at home. That's the reason why i have to wait so long for My Computer to open.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

I meant wired or wireless, both at home and at school :)

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Oh sorry ^^

Wired connection at both places :) Sometimes i use wireless at school though, but not often. I just plug in a cable and woala, i'm connected.

Btw, there still is no way to get notified by email when someone replies in a thread, is there? I read on some other bbPress forums about it and according to them, i should get notified by adding the thread to my favorites. But it doesn't seem to work for me.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

The notification by email has never been an option on this forum. You can have an RSS feed to a thread tho.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Yeah, i know that. But this is a bbPress forum isn't it? And i read on their forums that you could get email notifications by adding a thread to your faves, but they are wrong :P

I see that there has been some changes in the look on the forum, i like it. Looks much better!

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Also, about the drives... I really do need to have those drives visible when i'm in school. At least when i'm trying to transfer a file.

Could you guys help me make a file that makes those drives visible again? I've already made a batch file that removes them, but i need one that adds them too.

Something like this??
net use i: \\ hstad.johnbauer.nu \ \shares\klassmappar\jb09 corepad123 /user:nike1

But what do i do with the other drives? The J drive don't have a "host name". And on W, i don't have a "host name" or a "path name".

Also.. do i really need to enter a username and password? I don't need to login to enter the drives.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

And one more thing.. When i ran that ComboFix (i believe that program created the directories, but i'm not sure), i got 3 folders in My Computer. Can i remove them?

SWSetup
SDFix
Qoobox

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Depends what they are invisible to. System files are normally invisible, but they still work.

And yes. You can delete those 3 folders.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Really? Cool. I'm gonna try that tomorrow at school. When i'm connected, i'm just gonna try to enter J: into the run dialog and see if anything shows up. If it works, that would be awesome! Then i don't need them visible again.

But if it doesn't work, i will need your help to "create" them again, if you will :)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

That's gonna cost you :)

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

You can get notifications of new postings in favorite threads if your e-mail client can read RSS feeds. You have to subscribe to the feed, which is on the favorites page, where it says: "Subscribe to your favorites’ RSS feed."

On that net use command, there should be no spaces in the \\servername\pathname string. No, you don't *need* a password and username unless they are different than what you use to login to Windows. To reconnect the J and W drives, you absolutely need the servername and pathname. If you don't know them, ask someone at the school, or look for the volume shares with the net view command.

You should not hide drives, or you won't know what they are being used for.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Alright. In school now, i can't open them.

I'm gonna try to create them. Will post back later when i'm home :)

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

Yess!

I wasn't able to add them manually again, but the second time i plugged the internet cable in (after lunch) they all suddenly appeared :D So that's good!

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it!
-Nike

Posted 8 years ago

LH

If you could start setting those services back to normal, I would very much appreciate it.

Posted 8 years ago

nike1

I never disabled any services (i think). I just followed the row on blackviper that said "SAFE", and by doing that i set most of the services to "manual".

I'm pretty sure that the reason for the slow start is the mapped network drives because when i started the computer at school and they got added automatically, it started slow. After turning it off, i disconnected the drives though, so i can't see them anymore. (until i login on the school again..)

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.