The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Explorer.exe crashes on Win7 shutdown

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by henk
  • Latest reply from henk
  • Topic Viewed 5120 times

henk

Since a few weeks, my Windows 7 shows strange shutdown behaviour. After the shutdown has begun, an error window appears telling me that Explorer.exe (not to be confused with Internet Explorer, please) has encountered a problem because instruction x [long hex number] refers to a location y [another long hex number] that is not available. This window is then covered by a second window, a dialog with a close button, saying that explorer.exe does not respond and should be terminated. If I do nothing, both windows disappear again after a few seconds and Windows then continues to shutdown normally. All happens too fast for me to jot down the two long hex numbers that the first error window refers to. So far so good, but I want to know what causes this, and if it may indicate some serious problem.
I extensively Googled this and found that several more Win7 users get this very same kind of explorer crash while shutting down, but no one has any real idea what causes it. As usual when people have no clue, many just suggest it might be some virus. In my case I find this very unlikely. I have MSE running with realtime download- and file operations checking, instead of IE8 I use the Opera browser with all plugins off by default, and I have no dubious Internet habits (don't even use sites like Facebook or Twitter). Just to make sure I also ran a full system virus check with Clamwin, which found nothing.
Some other people suggested that running buggy user software might cause these explorer shutdown crashes. So I tried the following. Before starting a shutdown, I manually one-by-one closed down all running programs from the taskbar tray area. Next, using Sysinternals Process Explorer, I also manually terminated all other non-essential processes so I got left with only a bare-bones Windows 7 itself running. Only then I started the shutdown, and it still got me same explorer crash. So it looks like whatever causes this, is something within the Windows 7 system core itself. Let me also add that apart from the regular Windows Updates, I made no significant system changes (like installing new software) recently. This problem just started to happen out of the blue, a few weeks ago.
I also did already try a long look through the near-incomprehensible mess of Windows error log files, but so far it didn't help me.So, is there some real geek around who can tell me (a) what might be wrong here, and if not, (b) what might be another way to find out the cause?
Thanks!

Posted 7 years ago

pcs3652

Hi,
Before we start troubleshooting I would like to know:
When was the last time when your computer was working fine?
Was there any software/hardware installed on your computer last time?
Follow the below steps:
1).Run System File Checker:
a). Put the Windows-7 CD in the CD/DVD drive.
b). Click on start and type “run” without quotes and hit enter.
b). Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit enter.
It will scan for all the system DLL files and will repair if any system files are missing or corrupted.
2).Repair Windows-7:
a). Set the First boot from CD/DVD and second boot from HDD
b). Insert Windows-7 CD in the CD/DVD drive.
c). Press “Enter” to boot from CD/DVD.
d). Select “System Restore” and select the date when your system was working fine.
e). Let the system restore and restart your computer.
f). Click on the below link for more information about “System Restore”
http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....tup-repair

Regards,
Darmohammad
Bangalore.

Posted 7 years ago

henk

Hi Darmohammad,
Thanks for your willingness to help. As for your questions, the problem appeared suddenly about three weeks ago. And no, I had not installed any new software at that point in time, nor made any changes in registry settings etc.
(1) I had already tried the sfc /scannow system files check from an administrator command line window. Guess I should have mentioned that, sorry. Anyway it made no difference, so at least I know for sure that explorer.exe itself is not corrupted.
(2) Due to the limited space on my netbook SSD drive (it has no ordinary harddisk) my Windows 7 will keep only one System Restore shadow copy at a time. Unfortunately, I had Windows Update running a few times after this problem began, and one of these updates auto-generated a new System Restore shadow copy. So I don't have a System Restore option from a date before this problem began. I do have a full system drive image backup that I made over a month ago on an external HD. This can also be restored from the Windows Repair options, but doing so would mean overwriting the entire system drive to its exact image of last month, losing every byte changed or added since (in my personal data too). I'm not yet willing to do such a drastic thing.

One other thing I tried yesterday to find out the problem's cause, was running a full chkdsk on the SSD system drive, thinking that maybe a corrupt file allocation table was causing the explorer shutdown crashes. Again no result, as chkdsk found no errors in the drive's file system.

This keeps baffling me, so I will be happy to get some more suggestions from you, if you have them!
Thanks, Henk

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Have you checked the explorer.exe file size in C:\windows,
Search in your windows\winsxs for explorer.exe.
If the file size differs then your explorer.exe might be corrupt
Have you run any malware or spyware?
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Posted 7 years ago

akai289

I don't think that's virus. I sometime meet that issue and see no harm for my laptop, just wait few seconds.
I suggest the reason is you some how change the responding time too short or in my case I often use hibernate and rarely shutdown computer.
Any way, I live with that problem over a year and don't meat any harmful.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Have you checked the file size as posted above. Not saying you have a virus / spyware but it is always just good practice to run a scan when things start acting funny. Sometimes things get loaded without you knowledge and they are just a nuisance.
You can still insert your Win 7 install disk and boot then follow the screen prompts to the repair option.

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

henk

@akai289:
With "change the responding time too short" do you mean the registry data for entries like WaitToKillService and HungAppTimeout may have been set for a too short time interval? I didn't change those values recently, so changing them cannot be the direct cause of the problem.
Anyway, for now I accept your idea that this problem is probably harmless, as it's been going on my netbook for some weeks now and there seem to be no other problems at all. Apparently in your case, the same problem has no consequences either.
Still, explorer.exe crashing on every shutdown is of course irregular, so something must be wrong, even if it's just something insignificant, and therefore I still remain curious about what might be causing this. But if it can be lived with without further worries, I'm going to live with it and not waste any more time to find out what's wrong...
Thanks, Henk

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.