The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Error 0141-No hard drive detected

(15 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by jmsalerno
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 3692 times

jmsalerno

HELP! I have been reading this forum this morning. I have a Dell Studio Desktop and received a black screen this morning....I have received an error 0141 ..no hard drive detected. (This was working fine last night!)

Booted this morning from Disk that came with computer. This is out of warranty and would love the files from the hard drive (programs, photos, email, oh my...
I ran a chkdsk f/ c: and r/ c:
(found thread here)...no problems found on either
The hard drive shows up as lacie hard drive, FAT32, with volume number and serial number
Ran a system diagnostic from Bios Setup...and then received the error
In the Bios, the CD-ROM is the only device listed

I have also taken the cable and reconnected to the hard drive as well.
I can follow directions...please help...Hope this is enough info...Thanks!!!!Johnita

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

hello jmsalerno,
When you bootup do you see your hdd light blinking or does it come on at all?
What cable have you reconnected "I have also taken the cable and reconnected to the hard drive as well"
Have you tried checking both the power & communications cables for a good connection, or is that what you meant in your comment above.

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

jmsalerno

the hard drive light is on. The cables to the hard drive...I removed and then reconnected. Does that explain?

Posted 7 years ago

jmsalerno

Just to clarify again...I disconnected all other devices. Disconnected all components and then checked inside machine...and reconnected just the basics.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Yes, that clears it up.
Do you know how to clear the CMOS, if so can you do?
The other suggestion is can you put your hdd in another system to verify it is good / bad?

Posted 7 years ago

jmsalerno

dont know how to clear cmos

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Do you have the manual, if so look at the diagram of your mobo. If you don't have the manual with this diagram what is the exact make & model of your system.
Clearing the CMOS is resetting the BIOS back to factory default settings.

Posted 7 years ago

jmsalerno

I very much appreciate your help!!! Ok, I found the manual and reset the CMOS. I booted from disk, yet still no hard drive detection. It just reads the CD-ROM.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

When you enter your BIOS try setting find your hdd manually vs. the default automatic option
Can you temp install your hdd in another system to verify?

Posted 7 years ago

jmsalerno

I suppose this is over my head....I do not see a place where you inter the hdd manually. Can you direct me?
will running a disk recovery software like ultimate boot cd be a good choice?

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

When you enter the first page in your BIOS ( the informational page ) this is the one that shows the time and what hardware is installed on your system. The hdd section should have an option to find your hdd manually.
I will reboot mine to verify.
You can try the UBCD, at this point it won't hurt

Posted 7 years ago

jmsalerno

I believe I have sad news. I put my hdd in my second computer and received message that there was no boot device...so it would not boot on the second one. So, if it is dead or about to be....what is the best software to recover my files on the dying software and can you give me instructions. Are there special cables...do I connect the new hdd first and then copy it? I really appreciate your input.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

You can give this a try, download & burn to Cd then boot your system with it. If your hdd is not dead you can recover your important data files and store to flash drive or other storage device. When you download take a minute and read the instructions.
Post back if Unbunta can see your hdd & you recover your data.
I have to check a few things

Posted 7 years ago

jmsalerno

Just a side note, I just read that seagate barracuda hhd and dell had firmware issues that cause the hdd to freeze and not boot. Do you think there is any way to save my hdd with the firmware at this point?

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

My first suggestion is to save as much of your data as possible. Once that's done there are a couple of things you can try to see if your hdd is shot or repairable.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.