The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Easy, FUNNY C++ programming books?

(56 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by chustar
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 4449 times

chustar

A little backstory: I learnt a little Java in high school but didn't really like the book we used. It was too dry. Now, I'm trying to learn C++. I would like a book that assumes I'm a beginner with no previous experience (this allows me to think about concepts the C++ way, not the Java way, not sure if this makes sense...) Anyway, I recently stumbled upon the Poignant Guide to Ruby, a hilarious book that doesn't feel like a dry-as-a-mummified-corpse textbook. (But I don't want to learn Ruby so...)
Is there a funny beginners book to C++?
Thanks in advance!

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

C++ For Dummies?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764568523

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

what would be a good programming languge to learn or like the most use or what?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Depends what you want to do. C++ seems to be the most used for normal programming. But if you never wrote a program, you might have to get used to the logic flow of things.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i have alittle c++ under my belt but not really that much like i can program a calculator with one function (maybe alittle more but not much just an ex.)

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

so c++ is like the main programming language then

Posted 9 years ago

whs

I think so. Btw: you can edit your posts. See the blue "EDIT" under your posts. No need to have 2 posts within 1 minute.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i guess its just faster to write a new post in the box ya know

umm my internet is really slow so it takes a while for more pages to load that is why it is faster to do it the other way but i will try to do it this way k and i under stand your reasoning so i will try to remember thx for the heads up

Posted 9 years ago

whs

jack, we are not in a race and if the threads get very long, it is difficult for the original poster to follow. And I fail to see why it's faster - same number of letters to type.

Posted 9 years ago

chustar

Thanks.
I'm taking a C++ class next semester and wanted to learn it before hand.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

If you are approaching the subject as an absolute beginner I'd absolutely recommend the Dummies series of books for any topic. They aren't terribly expensive and will give you a good overview. I own a number of them myself... one of the things I like about them is that they are fairly lighthearted, just like Why's poignant guide. Once you gain a working knowledge, then you'll be able to find books that are more in-depth.

Realistically other languages like Java, C# or even PHP or Ruby/Rails are much more useful for getting a job, depending on what you want to do. All you have to do is take a look at the job boards to see that C++ isn't the hot language anymore.

Posted 9 years ago

chustar

@The Geek:
Yeah, but I still have to pass it. Plus, I was thinking more along the lines of a CC book or free e-book. After all, buying a book defeats the purpose of learning it before I start taking the class.

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

http://developers.slashdot.org.....8;from=rss

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

is there like a really good free web site/page that i could learn some programming language perferably c++ only cuz i know a little bit but could learn a new one too so if any one could help that would be great

Posted 9 years ago

pipo

if you need a, sort of, headstart, you could always try w3schools.com, that was one of our "references" back in college.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

jack, this is a good start. It's free and easy. http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/lcpp/

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i have one more question what is the most common programming language if there is one and if people could post what language they use the most that would help me out too i just want to know because i want to learn the most up to date things

Posted 9 years ago

whs

jack, you are turning around in circles. It really depends what you want (speed, flexibility, portability, ease of use, standardization, etc. - ergo, there is no BEST language). I suggest you start READING. C++ is a good start, but there is a lot more to programming - especially logic. The literature I suggested above is a good start. This link gets you directly to the PDF: http://www.isotton.com/devel/docs/lcpp/lcpp.pdf -- This tutorial is not super funny and no comic, but it is pleasant to read - and it is for free.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i know i am curently working on that one but was kinda just wundering what every one else was using if they know how to program

Posted 9 years ago

pipo

like what whs said, there's more to programming - "especially logic." i suggest you concentrate on logic formulation, once you get that, it's going to be easier to study other languages.

take me for example, back in college, i concentrated on web technologies like classic asp and php. when i started working, i got trained in COBOL programming (a very, very, very old language), i actually learned a few logic tricks from COBOL which i was able to implement on some of the web pages i made.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Hey Pipo, COBOL is younger than me, does that make me very, very, very + very old?

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

@whs. Weren't you friends with the guy that invented the abacus?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Lighthouse, I think they were from another culture. They used wedge writing too.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

whs, I thought it was you. Being so well traveled

Posted 9 years ago

whs

I wish I could travel in time.

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

If I could travel back in time I'd give a few friend's parents a pamphlet on contraception.

-Dilbert

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

http://lifehacker.com/375789/b.....e-to-learn

Posted 9 years ago

pipo

@whs
maybe just very, very, very "-" very old

if i could travel in time, i'd register earlier in the HTG forums, lol.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Scott, this lifehacker link is awsome. There is very little anybody could add. I gathered Python, Java and C++ as favorites (in order of complexity - Python being the easiest). As an old Assembler, Cobol, Fortran programmer, I vote for C++. But that may not be a good choice for everybody. It was also pointed out, as I said earlier, important is logic and structure. And that is independent of the language. Maybe one is more forgiving than another, but sloppiness will catch up with you one way or another.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

so what i got from the link is that c++ is both very bad and very good so what is that supposed to tell me? and python isn't that a more linux based script

Posted 9 years ago

chustar

@jack7h3r1pp3r:
No, python is a full language. I leared [or tried to learn] it on windows. Note: open-source != linux...
(!= means "not equal to" something i learned in python :) )

Posted 9 years ago

pipo

FYI: != is also used in most programming languages ^_^ and in COBOL sometimes you can write it as "NOT EQUAL" withouth the quotes of course.

btw, i think COBOL is a very easy language to learn, only problem is that you need to be connected to a Mainframe for you to practice and you need to create a JCL to run your program, but aside from those, learning it is quite "easy"

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs thx on the pdf you posted i have learned a lot from that i am almost done reading it all

yummmm.... i like to eat me some knowledge

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Jack you are welcome. I am actually reading it myself, but I am not as fast as you.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i actually have it saved on my flash drive so i can read it where ever i am (i also have a compiler on there as well).

Posted 9 years ago

whs

I guess we'll ask you to write the little programs in the future. jd2066 could use some help.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i'll try but i don't know too much yet still a noob

Posted 9 years ago

whs

It's the attitude that counts. Not the skill level.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i'm working hard at it and i am learning pretty fast and if you wanted me to do something for you i would try to do it the best that i can

what i meant by me being a "noob" is that i only really started when you posted that up and what i knew before was completely different c++ than what this is teaching me

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@whs so how come when you run the exe files they close right when you get the answer so you can't see it?

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

exe files in general?

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

no just the ones that i program in c++ they are the ones in the pdf that whs posted

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

If you open them in a "dos box" you might get more info

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

how do you do this exactly

edit: and i was kinda just wundering why they did this and will they do this when i get farther into c++

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Open up a command prompt (dos box) and run your exe from there

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

that is what they normally run in

edit: also what is the comand to run in cmd

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

do you mean Win+R cmd

Posted 9 years ago

whs

jack, Hit Start > type CMD > right click cmd above > run as administrator

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

no what i meant is how do i run the .exe in command prompt what is that command

Posted 9 years ago

Smashpmk712

navigate to the directory that the file lives in and type in the file name (I.E. test.exe)

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@smash that really helped thx

Posted 9 years ago

Smashpmk712

no problem. that will work for almost any file ... Just wondering, why didn't you double click it in windows explorer(My computer)?

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

when i run and i push enter to give me the answer for the program it shuts the box right away

Posted 9 years ago

pipo

did you put a return statement at the end of your code? from what i can remember from my c++ days, the return statement adds the 'Press any key to continue' at the end of your running program (somebody correct me if i'm wrong, please).

or a workaround that you can do is to accept a user input at the end of your code, this would, sort of, stop your program from running until you input anything.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i don't think it is the return thing since i have tried that but it was still the same

edit: would any one happen to know a code to say push enter to exit and then exit the program in c++

because that would kinda fix the problem and it seems easy enough to do

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i have figured this one out already

i anyone wants to know the source code here it is

cin.get();
cin.ignore();

return 0;

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.