The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - DVD/CD ROM Drive Not Working

(41 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by garyallen349
  • Latest reply from rdunseith
  • Topic Viewed 4348 times

garyallen349

I have a problem with the DVDROM drive in a friends Dell Laptop. The DVD drive is not starting and on checking device status in device manager I get the following error message "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19). I have tried updating the driver but the system states the present driver is the most up to date one. I have also tried restoring the system to the factory defaults using the built in recovery partion but this fails part way through throwing up a message simply stating error.

My next thought was to download and install a new driver. Any further ideas welcome.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes Gary. Download the latest driver from the Dell support site, and try that.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Will give that a go. will post progress.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

I have tried downloading the driver from the Dell support site. When I try to install the driver I get a TSDNWIN flash download for windows displayed. In the select drive dropdown box it states drive not found. There is a .BIN file when I try to access that is states the device is not compatible. This driver definitely matchs the make and model of the DVD drive. Could this be a hardware problem with the DVDROM drive itself?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Have you tried uninstalling the drive in device manager > reboot > then let windows find the driver again.
The other is turn the laptop over and remove the retaining screw > remove the drive > restart windows > check and make sure the drive is not showing in device manager > shutdown > reinstall the drive and retaining screw > restart your laptop and see if windows finds the drive and installs the drivers.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Hi germ-x. Haven't tried that yet but will give that a try in the morning and post results. Is there anyway I can test the drive when it is removed to see if it is a hardware issue?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Not really, you would need the proper equipment plus know the pinout reading. Not something most can do without burning something up.
Once removed boot up (in safe mode if possible) then open device manager and uninstall if it shows any reference to the drive.
I would delete the drivers in case they are corrupt.
Then when you have it plugged back in you are starting off fresh.
When you power back up look at the little led light on the DVd burner door and see if it blinks on/off.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Hi Germ-x. If there is no reference to the dvd drive in device manager how do I delete the drivers.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Help!!!!! This problem is driving me crazy. I still can't get the DVDROM drive to be recognized by windows. Here is a list of the actions I have taken so far:-

1. I have uninstalled the device in device manager and then rebooted the laptop but the problem still persists.
2. I have removed the drive and then restarted to make sure device is not mentioned in device manager. Then reinstalled device and rebooted laptop, still
problem persists.
3. I have tried downloading and installing new driver from Dell website. New driver does not recognise the dvd drive.
4. I have tried restoring laptop back to factory default using built in recovery partion but this fails part way through.

Any further suggestions very welcome.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Can you try the drive in another machine ?

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

One suggestion I would make is to enter the BIOS Setup by pressing the key recommended on the initial screen, usually F2, DEL or ESC, and see if the CD/DVD is recognized by the BIOS. If not Windows surely will not see it.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Lighthouse - Unfotuntately I don,t have another machine to try the drive in.
Xhi - Will have a look in the bios.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Just an update, the device is listed in the BIOS. Just wondering would updating the BIOS have any effect on this issue?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

If it was working before (which you didn't say) and it is showing up in the BIOS then flashing the BIOS probably won't help.
The drive might be faulty.
Reinstall the drive then uninstall all drivers.
Reboot > shutdown and reinstall the device > reboot and see if windows starts searching for the drivers which you uninstalled above. Windows should ask for the drivers. Now install the new drivers.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Hi germ-x sorry forgot to say it had been working. When I removed the drive the last time and then reinstalled it when I booted up I got a message stating that windows was unable to install a device. It didn't appear to ask for a driver nor gave the opportunity to install one.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Did you try try the Scan for hardware changes, in Device Manager ?
Or even Add legacy devices, if it is an old type drive.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

garyallen349 I'm a bit confused your original post you said "Windows cannot start this hardware device"
Then you removed and reinstalled it and now you say it had been working.
When was it working, before what?
Did you scan for hardware if windows didn't find it on a restart?
Does it show in device manager?
If not shut it down > remove the main battery and unplug the power. Let it sit for a couple of minutes then reinstall the battery and plug the power adapter back in and power up.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Yes I tried the scan for hardware changes but this had no effect. This is a fairly recent laptop and the drive is a SATA drive. It is a DEll Inspiron 1545 which is between 2 to 3 years old. When I download the new driver from the Dell website and try to install it the software does not pick up any drives.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Try g-x's last suggestion. But I fear the drive may be faulty.
you could also try something like this,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro.....QR2WN1MYRY

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Germ-x this is my brother-in-laws laptop, I assumed the drive was working prior to him giving the laptop to me, I will have to confirm this however with him. Sorry if I have confused you, but my original message is the scenario that I am faced with. I'm not sure when he last used the DVD drive.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

It could also be a bad, or damaged connection on the drive or the motherboard. This is where you need to test it on another laptop, or try with an enclosure (like I posted above)

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Ok all will try germ-x's last suggestion. Then try Lighthouse's suggestions. Will post back progress.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Hi All

Just a further update. I ran the SFC utility on the laptop and it came back that it had detected some corrupt files but it was unable to repair them. Could this also be a cause of the problem and also stop the system restore option from running.

To try to test the drive connection on the laptop I take it this wqould be a case of taking the laptop apart. Thanks for all the advice so far, I would have liked to have been able to resolve this problem.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Did the SFC scan give you a log of what files it couldn't repair?
All depends what files windows couldn't repair.
To test the drive you need an external USB enclosure or another laptop you can plug it into.
To check the connection pins of the drive you need a flashlight and after removing the drive you can look inside the housing and see if any pins are bent.
One option is a reinstall of the O/S. You will need the drivers for this laptop along with an installation disk.
Do yo uhave a local shop you can take the drive in and ask if they can test it? Might be the quickest way.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Is his Vista 32 or 64 bit ?

Either way, download the repair disk you need from here (perfectly safe, they are my and Mikes uploads)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tophrb
http://www.sendspace.com/file/daq9fd

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Germ-x SFC gave me a path to a text file but I coudnt gain access to it but I will run it again and try to gain access to the txt file and note what files couldnt be repaired and post them. Will try and obtain a external USB enclosre to test the drive. Will also check to see if there was any disks with the laptop. Thanks Lighthouse for the address for the repar disk if I have to go down that route. Will also try and check the pins for any damage.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Gary, they won't be up there for too long, so I should download the one you need soon. You may need it in the future as well.

And the file you want is here,
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
If you can't open it then,
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Lighthouse - Thanks I will download the Vista 32bit version tomorrow. Do I need to boot from the repair cd or simply run it once windows is loaded?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Boot from the Cd

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Unzip it, and burn the iso to a dvd,
I suggest you use this,
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2597/burn-almost-anything-to-disc-with-imgburn/
Then you can boot from it to do repairs.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Thanks all will keep you all posted about my progress.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Hi All

Further to my last post I have been able to look at the CBS log. The files which couldnt be repaired appear to be the "systemroot", winsxs file. Not exactly sure what the file does or if this could be the cause of the problem. I have downloaded and burnt the Vista 32bit recovery disk, I am just wondering can I boot from the DVDCD rom drive to run it.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Lighthouse - thanks got repair disk downloaded and burned to CD. Tried doing a repair by restoring to an earlier date but problem still present. I think I will go for a reinstall and see if that resolves the issue.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

The %SYSTEMROOT% just refers to the main install folder for Windows
The Winsxs folder, stores multiple copies of dll’s in order to let multiple applications run in Windows without any compatibility problem.
Winsxs, which stands for ‘Windows Side By Side’.
Guess the CBS.log didn't help much.
Is this the same DVD you are having problems with?

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Germ-x - Yes this is the same dvd drive I am having problems with. I think my only option might be a clean install using the disk I got from Lighthouse. Will check with my brother-in-law to see if he got any drivers disk with the laptop.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

A little confused. If windows doesn't recognize the drive how are you going to boot off it?

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

If Booting from the CD/DVD Drive only the BIOS must recognize it, not Windows which is not in play at boot time.

Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

I think a reinstall of the OS might be my only option after trying everything else. If I can't get my hands on a drivers disk I will have to download them onto a USB stick from the Dell website and install them onto the laptop from that.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

Try this before you reinstall your OS. Microsoft I had the same problem with an Inspiron 1520. This fixed it. Scroll down to the "let me fix it myself" section.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

garyallen349

Hi rdunseith - Thanks for that this has fixed the problem, saved me a lot of work.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

Awesome. Glad I helped.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.