How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

DVD drive doesn't recognize some DVDs

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Hydroace
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 561 times

Hydroace

Greetings -
I'm using Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit, and have been putting our movies and TV show DVDs onto an external hard drive. Some disks have been a hassle, and a few I've been able to bring back to life with Spin Dr or something similar to eliminate scratches, or added codecs to load others. I ran into an odd disk today though - after transferring Grey's Anatomy disks 1-4, disk 5 wouldn't load - it wouldn't even show up in My Computer. I either get a 'Please Insert Disk' message, or explorer just continues to try to load the disk - forever.
I tried in both the D: and the E: drives, and tried the disk in an Intel based Mac, in a Windows 7 Home SP1 64 bit Compaq laptop, and (just for grins and giggles) in an XP SP3 virtual machine within the Windows 7 Pro machine - no joy. Other DVDs and CDs have loaded in the Windows 7 Pro machine with no problem. And the kicker is that the DVD will play in a conventional player attached to the television.
As a last gasp, I tried in a 'real' XP SP3 machine - and and it loaded!! I copied the Video_TS folder to that machine and moved it to the Windows 7 Pro machine to add to the library.
I used the Nero Info Tool on the Windows 7 Pro machine, but only got the info string for the two DVD drives (it couldn't see the mysterious DVD either).
- D: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q; n/a
Firmware version SB03
Region code 1
- E: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q; no disk inserted(although the disk was in this drive)
Firmware version SB03
Region code 1
The good news: it worked. The bad news: it was a bit of a pain. Does anyone have any clue as to what happened, and how I can make the copy directly? Thanks in advance.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Hydroace hi. It happens. Some drives cannot read certain media, here are some examples,
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdme.....List+Media

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.