The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Dual Boot on 7 Sata H/D XP on IDE H/D Help Please

(12 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by alfjb
  • Latest reply from alfjb
  • Topic Viewed 1951 times

alfjb

Hi I have a Pc runniong Win 7 on a Sata H/Drive with my old 80G IDA hard drived with windows XP would like to have a Dual Boot to give me the chance to run both systems

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

alfjb,

Welcome to HTG.

Easiest way is to use (2) hard drives on SATA ports and choose system to boot up from in Bios.
That way, both systems are separate, no disk re-partitioning and you can "nuke" or re-image either drive at will.

Otherwise, it's shrink partition, configure 2nd partition, install XP, Fix Boot Sector
and just a bunch of "hassle" using (1) hard drive with MS BCD or GAG.

Other choices are to use XP Mode in Win7 OR run XP in a Virtual Machine.

Please Post back your wishes.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

alfjb

Hi Rick P
My problem is I am a bit of a noves at this, My new PC has a sata hard drive with win 7 system with a 1 TB H/D my old hard is 80g with XP installed on a IDE Hard Drive is there some way that on boot up I would see an option to boot the old H/D with XP running or the new Drive with Win 7, or would I be better off buying another Sata Hard Drive or Partition the drive with win 7 and a Partition of approx 100G running XP would like some advice.

John

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

alfjb,

With that large capacity hard drive, it would be ashame to purchase another hard drive just to run XP EXCEPT for the fact that everyone needs some method of backing up important data.

My [ personal decision ] if I ran an OEM machine would be to run XP in Win7 XP Mode OR a Virtual Machine.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

EDIT: Read through these tutorials.
https://www.howtogeek.com/sitesearch/?cx=009481737823548119489%3Aw5lekpyovpo&cof=FORID%3A9&q=xp+mode#982

Do you have FULL Win7 installation Disc or just Recovery CD ??

What Edition of Win7 ??

What is the Make and Model Number of the new PC ??

Let's get some other Member's opinions of what you should do.

EVERYONE WELCOME TO GIVE OPINIONS !!!!

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

BUMP

Posted 7 years ago

alfjb

Hi Rick P
Thanks for the info in your last E/Mail in regard to those tutorials 982 they were great an easy to follow fo a Senior like me (70 +) but I am not sure that me be the best outcome as having the info will still be on the same H/D, Could I chang the Bios to give a Dual bootif so How to? PS I know I ask a lot of Questions::::;; it my way of trying to understand it I love a mystery.

My PC Info
Gigabyte Model No GA-MA78LMT-S2 X64 based PC
AMD Athlon(tm) IIx4 640 Processor 3000Mhz 4 Core
Running Win 7 Home Premium Have Disk
Memory 4.00 GB Ram

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

alfjb,

That board Bios may let you Boot off the IDE Drive.

Do you have manual ??

You can download manual from here.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3583#manual

I'm only about 7 years behind you in age. (LOL) :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

alfjb

lOOK UP THE mANUAL DID NOT GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON Dual Booting any Idea's.
John

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

John,

Manaual

Bios Setup

Page 44

Hard Disk Boot Priority ( High Light and tap Enter Key )

There should be another screen with hard drives listed.

If you see (2) drives listed, you can select the IDE drive to boot XP on the next bootup.

Are you with me ????

Rick P.

Rick P. :)

Posted 7 years ago

alfjb

Rick
YES:: I see the entry on page 44 & from memory doth H/D are listed: would that mean that ever time i wanted to change Boot that I would go into BIOS to change to the other H/D each time I wanted To run Win 7 or XP ?? Have you heard of a Program called Dual boot Pro? are this type of prog any good in this situation??/ John

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

John,

YES, dual booting with Bios Setup means that you would have to CHANGE the Boot Priority Setting every time you wanted to boot up in XP.

Takes (2) minutes max BUT keeps the two systems separate with NO chance of "Boot Manager Missing Error".

Also if (1) Hard Drive FAILs, you can always boot from the other hard drive to repair your computer.

That's one of the PLUS Features using the Bios Dual Boot Method.

If you choose to Dual Boot with BOTH O/Ses on the SAME Hard drive, life becomes more difficult because there is a somewhat complicated installation procedure you must follow to make this possible with the new boot manager in Windows 7.

Here is the Turorial.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/
Fun huh ???? (LOL) (LOL)

YES, have heard of Dual Boot Pro.

Is the SAME as this FREE EasyBCD Program. (Bottom of Web Page Download Button)
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

You can configure your system as you like BUT the Number One Problem on most Help Forums comes from folks who try to Dual Win7 and XP off of a Single Hard Drive. Most end up having to Re-install Win7 from Scratch as the MS BCDEdit program lacks much documentation and is complicated to learn thus all the Dual Boot Help Programs circulating around on the net as you mentioned above.

I personally don't understand why folks just don't install and use [ XP Mode in Win7 ].

BTW, I can link you to a FREE Program which when installed, makes the Win7 Start Menu look like XP so that it is easy to navigate around in when learning Windows 7.

Windows 7 is here to stay and is the future so there is really NO reason to run XP in my opinion.
Tis like going backward and running Windows 98; Much FUN But NOT useful. (LOL)

Rick P. :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

alfjb

Rick
I think the last statment is the one to take in regards to win 7 is is hear to stay I will have to get use to it ,But I am going to try XP Mode to see what it like Thanke for allyour help it's been having some one on the other end to get the Gray matter working also thinking it through.

Regards John

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.