The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - driver irql not less or equal (blue screen)

(20 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by nene
  • Latest reply from nene
  • Topic Viewed 11566 times

nene

Every time i turn my computer on, with wireless enabled, blue screen appears right after loading the desktop.
If i disable it, it will run normally... what can i do?

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

Without information regarding you make and model of your machine, tis difficult to source.
But I would check that you have updated your wireless driver.

Could you please post the make and model of your machine, we can the direct you to the right place.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

nene

Im sorry, what exactly do you want?

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

Well, the make of your machine would be good to start with.
Like Dell, HP, Samsung, Toshiba for make and then the model number of the machine. Usually found underneath.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

nene

Oh! Sony PCG 71811M

Posted 6 years ago

HunterHunted

It might not be ur case but some time ago atleast 5 months back i received this message alot and dont know wat was the problemo ,

so what I figured out at the end was that my CPU fan was covered in dust then I cleaned my PC since from that day I have not received any BSOD , try it , it might help.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

HH may well be right,but,
Doubt that is the problem, but a good clean out of the dust is always a good idea. Do it every 6 months (and in dustier environments, more often)

Posted 6 years ago

nene

Ill do that then. But this computer is just 2 months old..

Posted 6 years ago

ElmerBeFuddled

Can you upload your latest dmp files to something like MediaFire or Skydrive, then put the link here? Might be a better idea than guessing.

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Have you UPDATED the wireless card drivers? If so, you might NEED to roll them back, driver could be either bad, or not really for your device?

What is the wireless card you have? Since it is a LAPTOP, I'll assume it is built-in?

Non-US? I can't find the laptop, pcg 71811m on the Sony site????

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

CompWiz

You might want to try this tool from Nirsoft.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Posted 6 years ago

nene

The driver i found for my atheros AR9285 is this : http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-.....8;system=5
what am i suppsed to do with this???

Posted 6 years ago

ElmerBeFuddled

Right I've looked at five of the dmp files. All five give a D1 stop error which indicates a device driver is at fault. All five blame the vsdatant.sys as that driver.

So, the answer to begin with is...........

Uninstall Zone Alarm Firewall.

If you have the 2011 version of ZA then you can uninstall it through the Progams and Features and all should be well. Make sure that Windows Firewall is enabled.
If you have an earlier version of ZA you will have to download the ZoneAlarm Remover to help you remove it. Uninstall ZoneAlarm through Programs and Features. Boot to safe mode and run the ZoneAlarm Remover. Reboot. Make sure that Windows Firewall is enabled.

Also consider that McAfee is a known cause of BSOD's with Windows 7.

Other Drivers To Update:

ArcSoftKsUFilter.sys Mon May 25 09:27:31 2009 ArcSoft Magic-i Visual Effect

GizmoDrv.SYS Sun May 18 06:24:02 2008 Gizmo Project - Arainia Solutions

Rt64win7.sys Wed Jan 26 13:34:03 2011 Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC v7.050

nvlddmkm.sys Fri Feb 18 17:53:00 2011 nVidia Graphics Drivers.
Download and install DriverSweeper.
Uninstall your current Graphics setup through Programs and Features.
Boot to (preferably) Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants of your current Graphics set up.
Reboot to Normal Mode.
Install your new Graphics set up.

But let us know how it goes. If you get any more bsods, COPY the dmp files to a folder on your desktop, put them all in a single zipped folder and stick that up on MediaFire.

Hope That Helps

Elmer

Posted 6 years ago

ElmerBeFuddled

It appears the Zone Alarm removal tool link is broken. Apologies. Here's a link to MG where you can download it:

http://majorgeeks.com/Zone_Ala.....d7492.html

Posted 6 years ago

nene

Hey Elmer, first thing i did was removing McAfee...It worked!
Going to update the other drivers now.
Thank you very much for your help. Saved my computer's life :D

Posted 6 years ago

ElmerBeFuddled

Glad to have helped.

I suggest that you use the McAfee Removal Tool (preferably in Safe Mode) to make sure all dregs are gone. And a wise move too!

Posted 6 years ago

nene

Elmer, now offtopic, which anti would you advise me?

Posted 6 years ago

ElmerBeFuddled

I'd recommend, as free Microsoft Security Essentials. I personally use ESET, but that's paid for. Also Kaspersky (paid) Avast (free?). Those are the best at being blue screen friendly in my two years plus of looking at BSODs.

But AV's are as personal as your choice in sock colours, some suit you sir, better than others.

Also, steer clear of AVG, Spyware Terminator, Avira, PC Tools. Now prepare for a deluge of folks running xyz of those saying it's the best thing since buttered toast!!! :D

Posted 6 years ago

minigeek

There is a nice guide on anti-virus software here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-keep-your-computer-safe-for-free?replies=13

Personally, I use MSE. I believe that is what most folks around here use.

Edit: Oh well, Elmer beat me by under a second!

MiniGeek

Posted 6 years ago

nene

Nice! Thanks for your knowledge, experience and opinions guys. Youve been very helpful :)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.