The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Do we need an age restricted Off Topic forum?

(80 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from xenomex
  • Topic Viewed 8173 times

jd2066

I've noticed there are a couple topics so far that aren't quite appropriate for younger users.
I'm not sure if there are any younger users on the forum or how many topics that aren't appropriate we well have in the future.
I decided to start a new topic now to ask about this.
What do you think?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Well, I know of a 12 year old and a 14 year old that were on the Forum - and probably some where we don't know. So the subject is appropriate. I think we should stay within the confines of a "G" rating.

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

The most offensive thread posted this week was by a 12 y/o know it all.

It is my sworn duty to protect the integrity of this site. Other posts that mention nationalistic stereotypes can be construed as offensive but are not censored. I agree the OT shouldn't be a 'free for all' but humor is subjective and my opinion is that while this new forum is in it's growing, novelty stage, there will be innuendo of varying degrees.

It seems that the OT is a popular idea and if a post or two toes the G/PG line it's not the end of the world.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

this is what i think on it

umm...that it is okay every once in a while as long as it doesn't get out of hand

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I personally didn't find the OT forum posts so far to be offensive (for instance Mandy asked me if it was alright to post that one link in off-topic, and I said no problem) The level of innuendo so far is less than the typical teenage MySpace profile.

From a legal perspective, we've done nothing to require an age restriction. That type of thing implies birthday suits or very explicit language... you know, the kind of stuff kids get from TV and music already.

From a site owner perspective, I'm not going to run a site that has an age restricted forum... that just gives off the wrong idea. I'd be more likely to abandon the whole OT forum rather than do that.

All that said, we do realize that it's a family site, and we're not going to allow anything really inappropriate to go on, or allow the focus of the forum to be solely innuendo... we're Geeks, there should be primarily GEEK related content. Perhaps we'll be a little more careful with what is allowed in the future.

Rule of Thumb for Members: It's a bad idea to talk about Race, Sex, Religion or Politics, because Somebody will be offended Somewhere and then write letters to the FCC about the half-time performance.

Finally, For the love of FSM, please just email me if you have a site policy question, and let's have some faith in the geeks behind the curtain. We're not perfect, but we are keeping an eye on everything. We've managed to turn this into one of the best sites around, and we're not going to sit idly by and let it destroy itself, so you shouldn't worry.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

You are right. I should have "faith in the geeks behind the curtain".
You have managed to make a great site thus far.
After reading Scott's post and your post I think I didn't need to make this topic.
I guess that is how it goes. I can't change that now without a time machine :)

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

No worries, and I do appreciate that you all care about the site, and you guys are all the reason this forum has been successful, so everything is all good =)

p.s. - if you do invent a time machine, I could really use it.

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

All geeks, I am thrilled that you have enough integrity to raise the issue of content! So many web sites couldn't care less much less police themselves. I chose this site as my first forum because of the integrity and serious minded people involved. I feel comfortable recommending this site to the little ones if they need computer guidance. whs is right: Please keep the "G" rating! JD, you did need to make this topic, content is very important and ethical standards need to apply to any reputable web site.

FAITH IN THE GEEKS BEHIND THE CURTAIN:)

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Well granny, we are very happy to have you around as well =)

I definitely want to keep things with a "G" rating. Does G stand for Geek? :-P

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

Geek, you are now following me and writing the :P smiley!

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

I think we are like "kids with a new toy" at the moment. I'm sure it will self regulate.
@The Geek. I did build a time machine once. But not for another 25 years.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

who are the "Geeks behind the curtain"? This is a good and useful discussion. Nothing is more dangerous than a slippery slope. You get into trouble before you know it.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

I think thats' the one's in charge whs.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

@whs:

That's a reference to the movie The Wizard of Oz, referring to the people running things behind the scenes.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Thanks guys. I figured something like that but was not sure.

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

Aleeve, I'm not following with the :P smiley and it's driving me nuts! What gives?

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

@granny:

:-P is a smiley with the tongue sticking out, basically a way of saying that you are being silly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.....n_examples

Posted 9 years ago

sparky7415

Silly is a good thing

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

:P

sorry tech granny!
it is also used as a way of saying 'haha' or 'lol' as well

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

or it can be used if you like having your tongue out all the time

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Like some people I know when they're really concentrating :)

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i do that some times but not usually ;P

Posted 9 years ago

p0oper89

Good topic to raise and i want to give whs credit twice

@whs: you corrected me twice when i was saying offensive language. Keep the good job up.

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

You kids are cracking me up! Or lol? I'll never get the hang of your new-fangled abbreviations. I'm afraid granny's terminally "L7".

P0oper made me think that maybe you were talking about me regarding the inappropriate religious language. If wishing someone a happy (insert religious holiday here) is against the site policy, please don't hesitate to tell me. I would never want to offend anyone intentionally or otherwise.

Have a Great Day! All of You!

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

@granny:

You are welcome to wish anybody a happy whichever holiday you'd like. =)

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Hi techgranny, You are doing fine. Nobody was talking about your happy wishes. This was the link that started the discussion:
Edit: The controversial link was removed because TechGranny took exception to it.

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

@whs
it was kinda funny though, you have to admit

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Happy Earth Day, everyone! (No, it's not a wiccan thing).

And a special Earth Day greeting to Al Gore, who not only took the initiative in creating the Internet -- without him we wouldn't be chatting -- but he has also now given us guilt that we are killing the planet and fear that it will turn around and kill us first, and soon.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

yay earth day now go plant some trees or what ever you do on this day

Posted 9 years ago

Anonymous

Hey, that sounds interestin'. More particulars pleese. We're enveloped in smog here.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Rincewind, today April 22nd is Earth Day. Read all about it on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_day

Look for the links at the bottom. The US gov't has it's own site: earthday.gov, and there is even a YouTube Earth Day contest for you, Lighthouse.

Where is "here" that's enveloped in smog? And please don't tell me it's Discworld!

EDIT: the wife just let me know that Google's homepage is changed for Earth Day.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

@Scott. What? I KNOW the earth is doomed.
Edit. I have been spreading the word of this forum, far and wide.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

it is already falling to pieces

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

@Jack & Lighthouse: it's not the planet that is doomed, but us puny life forms living on it. There have been plenty of extinction events that have wiped out more than half the life on Earth. There is a theory that the Earth was at least once completely frozen into a snowball Earth.

In lighter news, c|net has a great section of Earth day articles on green tech which brings us back to geek stuff:
http://www.news.com/Earth-Day-.....ag=nl.e703

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

I'm doing my part here in Vermont. Our cow provides enough methane to power one energy saver 20w light bulb that warms a seedling that will soon grow up to be a tree that will shade the house from the ever increasing global warming that is actually an oxymoron as many parts of the world are cooling off.

The cow also gives us enough poop to fertilize our land and grow organic veggies. Never mind the funky taste, we're doing our best ;)

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

As most (well, a lot of) life gets wiped out every 50,000 years or so, then you are correct. Eventually the sun goes supa and all is gone.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

It's good to see an ecological discussion in the US. With only 4% of the worlds population you produce 25% of the earth's dirt. I wish the US goverment would slam a $4 tax on a gallon of gas (like in Europe) and triple the price of electricity with taxes too. That would change things a lot faster than all those useless discussion. The behaviour you can only change via the pocket book. Then use all this tax money to install a proper railroad system like the TGV http://www.metacafe.com/watch/.....e_footage/
and give people money for solar panels on their roofs. After all, at least half of the US has plenty of sun year round.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya well you should take a look at china they are the worst and also i'm saying that the us is not bad because it is but china is way worse.

did you know that china is so bad pollution wise that they were not going to have olympics there because the other countries didn't want their athletes to get sick or what ever

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Look at Spain. It's been compulsory to fit solar panels on newbuild houses for some time. Very few are actually connected up (it's a tax break thing). The inspector comes round, looks at your roof, ticks his box, and goes!

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Jack, You are right, China is as bad as the US, but they are 5 times as many people. If they were polluting at the rate of the US on a per capita basis, we would not see the sun again in our lifetime.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

China is worse, in as much as it is building unregulated coal fire power stations at a horrific rate (something like 1 every 2 weeks last time I looked).

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

China has the best Moo Shu Pork though.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

So maybe one day we won't see the sun anymore. We better enjoy it whilst it still shines.
PS. I read, that they are getting some German technology to filter the Coal Power plants.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Maybe looking for Carbon Credits....

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

Dear whs, I believe you to be an honorable person. In keeping, would you do granny a great big favor and remove that disgusting link from this site? I would hate for any child to innocently stumble across it. That link is exactly the kind of thing that defiles the human spirit. I trust you all had a productive Earth Day!

Make everyday Earth Day!

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Granny, I removed it as you wished. But please note that I was just quoting it from another thread to tell you how we got to the discussion in the first place.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

@whs: I think it would be a good idea to restore your old message only replace the link with "[ Edit: Link Removed ]". Then the message posted after it would make since again.

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

This is the proverbial 'beating a dead horse'.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Jd, done. Btw. May I ask you why you always spell the word "sense" as "since"? I have noticed that many times in your postings. Is that a special patois in your neck of the woods? I hope you don't mind me asking.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

flogging a dead horse :)

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

Flog:
3a: chiefly British : to sell (as stolen goods) illegally <flogged their employers' petrol to ordinary motorists...

I heard this happened to Lord Snowdon, but then again I read the Sun.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

It's because I'm not the best at grammar and spelling and I don't know the correct use of the word. I looked it up now and see the difference.
I guess sense no one corrected me before I just figured that was the correct one.
I also use the spell checker a lot and of course it didn't know I meant a different word entirely.
Also, no I don't mind. I'm happy you pointed that out as now I know the correct word to use.

Edit: Thinking about it, I think before I thought it might have been wrong, I just didn't get around to checking for the correct word.

Edit 2: Re 'Beating a dead horse': How is it so? Has the topic of bad links come up before or do you think this topic has gone on to long?

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

Dear whs, I fully understand what you were trying to do, but reposting the link only adds insult to injury. Granny doesn't need graphics. Simply stating that there was a questionable link would have sufficed. But thank you for removing it.:) I love language games! Scott, "beating a dead horse"-correct. Scott, again correct about flog, not bad for a Sun reader!:)

jd, Your grammar is fine. I've yet to notice any glaring weaknesses.

Re: Edit 2: This topic has gone from age restrictions to moo shu pork to word play. Which "dead horse" is being beaten? You all have a good day!

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

All work and no play makes Jack a dull grandson. Especially for geeks ;)

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Granny, I like to stick to the facts, even if the facts are graphic. But there is worse.

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

Dear whs, I thought you and the "Geeks behind the curtain" were serious about keeping the site "G" rated. I guess I was wrong.

Scott, You're a hoot!:)

If I may again enlist the expertise of the How-to-Geeks, I'm having a devil of a time with HP email support. Bless their hearts, they're trying hard but nothing is working. I keep getting this persistent error code: 80070005 pertaining to my monitor. The monitor wants to update the driver but it fails every time. I've even edited the registry per the HP email instructions. Nothing is working. I think all of you might be smarter. If granny hasn't gotten on your nerves too badly, can you help me out?

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

Granny, surely you see our indiscretions are few and far between.

Copying your post so it has a better chance of a reply, (if your OS isn't Vista, please let me know).

And just in case you haven't heard it today,

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

Dear Scott, I do see. That's why I'm here and not on some seedy web site. I just come from a different place in time and don't always understand you kids. I will repost because now HP is having difficulty coming up with a solution.

Thank you so much for the beautiful card! You've made an old lady's day:)!

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

I love Grandmas, maybe because I never met my own :(
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-get-info-from-windows-95-to-xp?replies=6#post-1234

Posted 9 years ago

xenomex

Hey guys, i am a teenager my self , 14, and trust me, the only > Youngsters </ > Teenagers < that go on these forums are probably nerds/Geeks, and so far i havent seen any offensive material on this website, i dont see why anyone should worry.

I strongly disagree with applying age restrictions, as it will ruin the website.
I usually dont say my age, but i felt so comfortable in this community that i proudly said my age!
Please dont make age restrictions!
Xenomex.

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

Don't worry. There have not been age restrictions, nor will there be any. The topic came up because, well, um, er.... the best analogy I can give is that our OT forum is in it's adolescence. There will be growing pains and lessons learned.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

Edit by mod
That was a no no jack (not too serious don't worry. (Be happy)) :)

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

Dear xenomex, I'm glad you feel comfortable with this site. You should. I too disagree with age restrictions; however, there are disrespectful people out there who feel no sense of responsibility to any community. Action must be taken against those individuals, not you the teenager or me the granny. A word of advise: Never write or post anything on the internet you wouldn't want your grandmother to see or hear. You just don't know who is watching or how it can come back to haunt you.

I look forward to you maybe helping me with my computer woes in the future!

(If The Geek is watching, I haven't received a daily email in a few days. I really look forward to them and learn a lot. Is the email thing on my end?)

Posted 9 years ago

xenomex

@techgranny,
so..are you ACTUALLY a grandmother?

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

Yeah i was wondering that too!

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

wait what did i say that was bad. if it was something that came out wrong i am sorry but i didn't mean anything by it.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

I didn't think you meant what you wrote to mean what it did. But I couldn't leave it there. It was a bit rude :)

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok thats fine i was just confussed that it got deleted and i couldn't remember what i said and i didn't think that i wrote anything that would ofend anybody but thanks for watching my back though :)

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

No probs my son

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

xenomex, IMAGINE THAT young grasshopper!

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

Xenomex I'd take that as a no
or a yes
or a no

techgranny's a little ambiguos
maybe she's embarrassed off her age....

Posted 9 years ago

xenomex

I was just wondering if she is or not, i just thought it was quite unusual for a grandmother to be using PC-Tech forums, although both my mum and my grandmother use forums, but she really does sound like she has grandchildren.

But...that could be just a funny Tech-name? you never know.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

yes but now think of whs he seems to be in that range too and he is the main poster on here.

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

when he is actually here!
i bet hes on holiday somewhere nice - hes been off for AAAAAAAAAGES!

lotsa catching up to do :D

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

no actually if you look in the forum statistics he is in second but he just got passed up by lighthouse though.

https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/view/statistics

Posted 9 years ago

techgranny

Good Morning All!

Aleeve, I'm not at all embarrassed of my age. It's just that I come from generations of a culture where a lady never reveals her age. It is considered undignified. Ambiguous by design I suppose:)

xenomex, I am old enough to be your grandmother! It might be unusual for a grandmother to use a PC-tech forum but this granny is a stubborn old broad. I like to figure things out for myself. Also, I suffer from an acute case of "geek envy" (where better for me than here?) I often wonder what I could have done had I been born with all this technology.

As far as my username, I thought techgranny was an obvious oxymoron.

jack, whs is older than me, but we are in the same familiar ballpark. How long can he be gone before we start to worry about him?

You all have great days!

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

:D I love you techgranny, ur cool

:P

EDIT: what the hell was that about XD

Posted 9 years ago

xenomex

My grandmother is 57...

Posted 9 years ago

whs

xenomex, it is the priviledge of young people to question everything. That's the only way you will learn how the world works. But you have to realize that there was a world bx (before xenomex). I, for example, have written programs on a Zuse11 nearly 50 years before you were born - and that was no walk in the park because there were very few people and documents for information. Age is a matter of how the bones function - not the brain.
Here is some info from the "old days" for you to study: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse

Posted 9 years ago

xenomex

@Whs.
Thanks for the information, i didn;t think it was the bones only.
and Konrad Zuse is a true genius....

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.