The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Do I need Vista Service Pack 2?

(7 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by tuiruru
  • Latest reply from anderson
  • Topic Viewed 5635 times

tuiruru

This is the only Windows update that I haven't installed. Everything is running sweetly on my Laptop so what “extra” is the SP going to give me. It's also a potentially big download, I'm on a basic (ie read “slow”) broadband package with Telstra and I try and keep my data traffic to less than 1 GB a month (bet that makes a few of you fall over backwards!) so is it worth my doing and why? I'm using Vista Home Premium.

Thanks

Posted 8 years ago

mickeyblue

well, from my experience my wifes laptop (running vista ultimate 32-bit) having installed SP2 and yes its a big file,i have found the performance to be better in SP2, and all round its an improvement (if very slight).
yeah sorry i had to laugh and applaud you, how do you manage 1GB a MONTH? i use 1GB a day!!!!!!!!!!! *applause* you have will power.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

I have twice installed it, and twice twice removed it again. Leaving it a few months inbetween to see if they had fixed all the bugs.
I didn't have any major problems, just annoying little one's.

Posted 8 years ago

JimGTG

I've installed Vista SP1 but hesitate too to install SP2. Well at least I would make a complete BU. Anyway the SP2 hasn't been offered to me in my updates yet. And I do not believe in fairy tales that it would make my Vista faster. Perhaps a few explorer crashes less per day I've heard. Where now I can count at least 10 a day.

Posted 8 years ago

Santo

In SP2 there isn't any major fix but it does help you to gain hard disk space and it prevents few system crashes. For me it has prevented system crashes if there is an issue with any driver not getting installed correctly or it does not crash if any of the security application update fails to install correctly.
Before installing SP2 any failed update of security application will result in BSOD, now I doesn't happen.

Posted 8 years ago

leftgg

i do not think so

Posted 8 years ago

anderson

install sp2 create your own restore point then use disc cleanup to delete all previouse restore points and u will get you disk space back worked for me

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.