How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - display colors problem in xp

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cindybill2012
  • Latest reply from cindybill2012
  • Topic Viewed 918 times

cindybill2012

i hope theyre is someone out there who can help me with this problem
ive been on 3 other geek sites and not 1 person had an answer for me.
heres what i did.i was in control panel and i went to display and messed with something that changed my colors.now when i type an email or type forms and job applications the backround is dark blue and i cant see what im typing.this doesnt happen on every form but about half of them.also the screen where it displays all the websites that i search for from aol is dark blue.
i dont know what to do to undo what i did.i have important job applications that i have to send.
some help sites tell me to re format everything or do a full recovery.i truely believe i shouldnt have to do that since if i changed it by clicking something i must be able to undo what i did,or at least set the colors to default.
i hope i find a real pc super hero for this
windows xp
media edition (professional)
32 bit / sp3
thank you
william

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

cindybill2012, hi.
A while I have worked in xp but have you tried 'system restore'? Take your machine back to prior the problem arose.
Accessories, system tools, restore.

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

Have you tried right click on the desk top, select Properties, on the Theme tab change the theme to something that you like better.

Posted 5 years ago

cindybill2012

yes ive tried that.but n othing works.im not sure what option to use since there are so many,and i dont want to make it worse.i just want a way to make the colors back to what it was (default)

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

Follow the MS info here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310543

Colour was changed at some stage, so set to default, any area you come across

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

Changing the theme should set many things differently. What "did not work"? If you change the theme and colors do not change you have a very different problem.

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

Fully describing the events would help.
What made you want to change in the first place? And what in control panel did you mess with?

I'd be happy to try a remote access with Teamviewer ( http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx ) if you like.

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

cindybill2012

i dont know what i clicked in display,thats the problem.i tried to just chane teh border colors and failed.i guess i have to live with it.i cant do a system restore bacause this happened about 2 months agao and dont remember the date.thank you all for your help

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

What happens when you change the theme?? You should get something different than you already have.

Posted 5 years ago

ronniesonora

Try this, it will set your display to default.
Right click the Desktop. Select "Properties" from the list of options.
Select the "Appearance" tab.
Click the drop-down box under "Windows and buttons:" and choose "Windows XP Style."
Click the drop-down box under "Color Scheme:" and set it to "Default (blue)."
Click the drop-down box under "Font size:" and set it to "Normal."

Posted 5 years ago

cindybill2012

hello ronniesonora
thanks for the advice.i did what you said and it did help with some colors it still didnt solve my problem.the only problem is when filling out forms and applications the backround is so blue (used to be white)that i cant see what im typing and on some websites the screen is so blue i cant read anything.most sites are ok but it seems like the important ones for job applications are too dark.my aol mail screen is ok to type because the backround is white but my hotmail screen for typing is the same dark blue.i just dont remember what i did so i can reverse it.even when i google something and the choices screen comes up with all the websites is very dark..but readable
thank you agin for your time and help
william

Posted 5 years ago

G41M

cindybill2012, maybe your browser's appearance settings is messed up. What browser are you using?

Posted 5 years ago

cindybill2012

im using ie8

Posted 5 years ago

cindybill2012

OH MY GOD!! WOW ..FINALY SOLVED AFTER SO MUCH SEARCING AND ASKING.YOU NAILED IT.IT WAS IN INTERNET OPTIONS GENERAL TAB (COLORS)WHEN YOU SUGGESTED BROWSER IT CLICKED IN MY HEAD.THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.SO HAPPY NOW.
YOUR AWESOME.
WILLIAM
WHOOOOOOO BACK TO JOB HUNTING APPLICATIONS
WILLIAM

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.