The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

"Disk read error occurred" message - how do I fix this?

(25 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by stander2
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 21520 times

stander2

Hi

When I try and start up my Windows XP I get this message "Disk read error occurred press Ctl+Alt =Del to restart. Every time I restart I get the same message. Does anyone have any ideas about the steps I should take in an attempt to fix this problem. I have searched the forums but am a bit lost about some of the suggestions. Any simply explained suugested solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

whs

As a first measure I would run a

chkdsk c: /r

in cmd - e.g. from an installations disc. That would be as easy as it comes.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

hI whs

How do I get to the CMD- every time I reboot I get the same message "Disk read error occurred press Ctl+Alt =Del to restart"

Posted 5 years ago

whs

You have to load your installation disc and go to the repair options.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

Hi

Found the original Windows XP installation disk, turned the PC on, inserted the CD a number of times but all I get is the same message "Disk read error occurred press Ctl+Alt =Del to restart" Tried rebooting, installing CD, but only get the same message. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

vistamike

When you boot, do you see an option to get into BIOS? (F2) Change the 1st boot device to CD/DVD
Another option is to tap F12 on boot and change the boot order to CD/DVD

Mike

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Yeah, Mike is right. You forgot to change the boot order.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

When I boot the computer, I get no options to get into BIOS. just that same message. I tried the F12 on boot a couple of times but it makes no difference.

S

Posted 5 years ago

GuiltySpark

stander2 ,

You have to be quick with the POST (Bios) screen otherwise it offloads to the OS.

What make and model is your computer ?

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

Hi GS, thanks for your time. What do you mean by being quick with the POST?

The computer is an Intel Pentium 4 about 8 years old.

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

F2, ESC, or DEL or the screen will say what key to press to get to BIOS setup.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

Hi

Managed to get into the BIOS utility setup- unfortunately over here in AUS I've got to get to work. Will give it another crack in 9 hours. Thanks all.

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

g'day, mate!

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

G'day champ

I have my Windows XP installation CD siiting in the drive and booted the PC, held down F2 and now I'm in BIOS setup utility and have moved into Boot Device Priority and have three Boot device options - I entered the third boot device option which is {4M-SAMSUNG CD-R/RW DRI} and entered F10 (save and exit). The PC reboots and still comes up with that message. Shocking.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

Guten Tag - some progress- I think I have changed the PC first boot priority to CD as I now get the meesage - "Press any key to boot from CD", I press any key and get "set up is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration". Waiting and waiting and thats it, blank screen from then on- nothing. No sign of any life from my disc. I tried a few nore times and nothing. Nichts! ScheiƟhaus!

Posted 5 years ago

G41M

When you change the boot device options, was the 4M-SAMSUNG CD-R/RW DRI first in the boot order (above the hdd)? In some BIOSes, you need to use f5/f6 or +/- to move up/down the highlighted choice. Refer to the instructions in the BIOS setup (usually at the bottom of the menu) on how to to change/move the boot order.

Edit: Got it going, late by 2 minutes

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

Thanks G41M- checked the boot device priority again and 1st boot device is the Samsung CD and the second boot device is the 3M=Maxtor (presumably my hard disc drive), third Boot device is floppy drive.

Posted 5 years ago

G41M

stander2, The hard drive might have gone bad, or maybe the flat cable. The easiest way is to connect the drive as an external drive to a working PC and diagnose it from there.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

Thanks mate - I'm starting to think like you. It's an old drive which I have mostly backed up but there are a few bits and pieces I was hoping to get my hands on fairly quickly. Still open to any other ideas though before i go down that path.

S

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Maxtors are very unreliable, I'm surprised you have an old one.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

The Maxtor came with the new PC I bought about 8 years ago- has done a fair job up until about a year ago. Being a novice with computers (trying hard though) i haven't really got into the quality of my old computers components but still prefer using it over my Tosh. laptop (2010 model).

S

Posted 5 years ago

G41M

You can try Maxtor diagnostic utility "PowerMax". Download the iso from here and burn the image to disc. Boot to the CD and diagnose the hard drive.

Posted 5 years ago

alishathomaz

Follow these steps::

1. Run CHKDSK /R /P from the recovery console (it will typically find no error)
2. run FIXBOOT from recovery console (typically has no result)
3. run FIXMBR from recovery console (typically has no result)
4. Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility, downloaded from their website (it will typically find no error)
5. Changing the drives from cable select to Master/Slave may fix it.
6. Replacing the data cable may fix it, but usually not.
7. Setting the BIOS to use defaults may fix it, but usually not.
8. Changing the BIOS drive settings from auto to user-specified, ensuring that LBA is selected may fix it.
9. Pulling the CMOS battery to let the BIOS lose it settings may work.

Posted 5 years ago

stander2

G'day

"You can try Maxtor diagnostic utility "PowerMax". Download the iso from here and burn the image to disc. Boot to the CD and diagnose the hard drive. "

Booting to the CD is the major problem now- when I boot up i get the message" press any key to boot from CD" then I get "set up is inspecting your hardware configuration" and then all I get is a blank screen.

Posted 5 years ago

G41M

"set up is inspecting your hardware configuration"... I think this message is when your using the XP installer CD. Possibly hanging up when inspecting the hard drive. I'm not sure if the Maxtor diagnostic utility also shows this message (it is been awhile since I last used this utility) but for sure it will only inspect the hard drive. After you burn the image to a cd, insert the into the cd drive and boot from there. Good thing is you sorted out how to boot from cd first.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.