The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Disappearing Hard Drive Space

(4 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by calebishungry
  • Latest reply from calebishungry
  • Topic Viewed 1351 times

calebishungry

From what I've read, this has been a common problem. Let me tell you everything I've done so far to fix this problem. I apologize if my computer lingo is less than stellar. I'm learning as I go:
Unaccounted for, disappearing hard drive space on Windows Vista. Ran the vssadmin list shadowstorage command, changed how much shadow files can be stored, and still nothing. I have about 2GB of programs installed, 40GB of media, documents, and pictures total, no viruses, have run the disk defrag, disk cleanup, and emptied recycle. I still show only 37GB of 286GB free. My WD External hard drive says that the bulk of my memory is taken up by "system files," but I can't find files to delete.

As I said, I have malware protection, have done complete scans, and no viruses or infected files are found. I changed my shadow storage to 15GB, but my hard drive space didn't improve one bit. I'm not in a position to afford a professional to diagnose and fix the problem, so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Caleb

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Caleb, without knowing or seeing what is on the drive, I can't tell much?

Get SpaceSniffer and post a picture here what it shows please? Make sure UNKNOWN space is checked to be shown.

Another VERY good one to get is DISK ANALYZE PRO and you can play around with the tabs a get some idea what is going on?

The above are FREE programs.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

calebishungry

Thanks, Irv. I'll give that a shot.

Posted 7 years ago

calebishungry

Irv, the SpaceSniffer program revealed a 167GB file that was not showing up anywhere else. I was given this laptop, and apparently, the previous owner tried to download a huge collection of movies. For some reason, it was not showing up under any of the other folders. Thanks so much for your suggestion!

Caleb

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.