The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Disabling stacked windows in taskbar

(8 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Spacegold
  • Latest reply from randomaccess
  • Topic Viewed 4973 times

Spacegold

One of the annoyances that started with XP and carried over into Vista is IE's decision to stack all the open window indicators under one, after the number reaches five or six, so that you have to click twice to open a particuloar window. I am currently getting around it by using a three-line fat taskbar. Does anyone know how to disable that function?

Posted 10 years ago

Scott

Just IE ?
Right click an empty part of the Taskbar and uncheck 'Show Windows Stacked'.

Posted 10 years ago

Spacegold

Thanks, Scott, but doing that tiles the open windows on the screen. Not what I am after. I must not have asked the question right. I was refering to the windows indicators in the taskbar, where minimized windows live. If you have a lot of shortcuts in the quicklaunch, IE will put all browser windows in one indicator which lists the page names of the open windows, instead of shrinking the indicator boxes like W98 did. This box has a label like "8 open internet windows".

Posted 10 years ago

Scott

I guess you don't like tabbed browsing.
I have 48 quick launch buttons but they live on the right side of the screen ;)

Posted 10 years ago

Spacegold

I don't do tab browsing at all; it confuses me. When I try to use them I am forever closing more than I intend. So I disabled it. So is there any way to make IE compress the little indicator boxes in the taskbar like W98 or are we stuck with the single one with its popup list? And how do I get quicklaunch over to the side?

Posted 10 years ago

randomaccess

It sounds like Group Similar Taskbar Buttons is enabled - I don't like all those stacked buttons either.
To disable Group Similar Taskbar Buttons, go to Control Panel/Taskbar and Start Menu. Click on the tab that says Taskbar (it may come up automatically) and uncheck the box next to Group Similar Taskbar Buttons.
That should make every open program or IE window have its own box in the taskbar.

Can't help you with the quick launch, I've never tried to move it. I've moved the whole taskbar by dragging it, but not just the quick launch.

Posted 10 years ago

Spacegold

Thanks, RA. Group was indeed checked. I unchecked it. By the way, you can get to the same control by right clicking the taskbar and clicking properties.

Posted 10 years ago

randomaccess

Hi Spacegold,

I'm glad that solved it. I usually get there by right clicking the taskbar, but something ran amok in the windows installer and whenever I right clicked anything it would try to install Office. I hadn't fixed it when I posted, but its fixed now. = )
I'd had the same problem in XP, its a hosed windows installer file - Microsoft has a utility that fixes it.

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.