The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - diablo 2 on vista

(16 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by legend
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 93233 times

legend

I am trying to install Diablo 2 on vista but when I click the install buttom I get a message comeing up saying "No program menu found" I don't know what that means. I have tryed the compabilty thing but that did not work. Please help thank you

Posted 11 years ago

supermansghost

Have you tried using the right-click and Run as Administrator?

Posted 11 years ago

legend

Yes I have and that did not work. Do you know of anything else that might be the problem?

Posted 11 years ago

diablo2helper

hehe annoying isnt it
heres your fix
watch carefull ill only type this once
however you can read it over and over

) Go to Start > Run > type regedit
2) Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Shell Folders"

if there is no string in there called "Programs" put that in with the value:

C:\

so that make a new string then right click your new string call Programs and modify then in there put C:\

make one more called Desktop and do the same thing with the strings

and you can get the installation to work, game works fine too.

basicly the game is looking for the desktop but cant find it...you just showed it the way...whe it works for you post a quick thanks guys

this may work for other games with the same problem. thought i'd post it up incase some had the same issue...

Posted 11 years ago

bace

hi
i tried everything recommended on every web site and forum but the game just wont play...i reinstalled it and now a message appears saying that i don't have a play disc in my drive
please give advise
thanks
...i have an asus f3-generation laptop...

Posted 10 years ago

Santo

This game is not for Windows Vista and it requires the original disc to be in the CD/DVD drive. Even if you have the disc in the drive it is not going to work.

Check here to know more about system requirements.
http://www.blizzard.com/diablo2/

Posted 10 years ago

AnthonX

Thanks after following the steps Diablo 2 is installing as it should :D

Posted 10 years ago

Etherealwalnut

I made an account on here just to thank you, Diablo2helper. I have been fighting with this for months. Finally I came across your post and it works PERFECTLY! Thanks again for all that help!

Posted 10 years ago

ugmidnight

this worked for me thanks diablo2helper much appreciated...

Posted 10 years ago

csubswimmer

This helped me get it to work. It is the Blizzard update for Diablo 2 plus the expansion. I had the problem with the game not finding the CD.
http://us.blizzard.com/support.....ue?rhtml=y

Posted 10 years ago

ironcheeze

i downloaded the game but its says "Diablo 2 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows"
how do i get the version for my computer (i have vista)
please help

Posted 10 years ago

whs

Try running it in compatibility mode in Vista. See here for details: https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/vista-compatibility-mode-for-xp-2000-etc?replies=4

Posted 10 years ago

Dragon27

Note to people out there. There is always a way around problems you just need to dig deeper.

Posted 9 years ago

Spacegold

@Dragon 27: Thank you for the profound, inspirational testimony bumping a 5 month old topic to the fore. I shall always remember your thoughtfulness, while digging.

Posted 9 years ago

beyondhuman

actually as long as this might be starting back up again, is there anything else you can do? i have both those entries already on my PC when I checked I have set it to compadibility mode run it with 256 color and as an admistrator and I still get a blue screen of death physical memory dump. I heard there was a memory problem that made it only work with 1.5 gb of memory but I have 2 and still no luck

any suggestions?

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

Sorry to interrupt beyondhuman, this thread should be closed.
Just start a new one, no worries.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.