How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - DHCP access denied.error 5

(15 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by akuigla
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 31204 times

akuigla

Hello,
when I try to start DHCP client service I receive every time the following message-error 5,acess is denied.
It is vista home premium,sp2,2GB RAM
Also,when tried to start WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto Discovery service I received error 1068
Any help will be appreciated

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

Hi akuigla, welcome to HTG. Could you give us a more detailed approach as to what you are trying to do please. Obviously your DHCP is working with your router/modem otherwise you would not be posting here. What does your network consist of, what are you trying to connect to? Thx, Matt

Posted 8 years ago

studio

Hi Akuigla, maybe you could try to Run as Administrator.

Posted 8 years ago

akuigla

Hi Matt,
My internet connection ,which is wireless over USB modem is working fine.It bothers me why I cant start DHCP service?What is inside my pc that denies me the acess???
Also system restore dont work.I receive every time:un unspecified error occured-no nuber of the error,just the info.Tried in safe mode-no result.
Tried sfc /scannow and sfc found corrupted files but was not able to fix all of them?details are in CBS log.
Im losing hair naturally,but this vista is speeding up my hair loss:)

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

akuigla, have a look here and see if it helps. Make sure you run cmd as administrator. Matt

Posted 8 years ago

akuigla

Should I type all of the first three or one by one with reboot after each one or what?
Please explain,because vista is so delicate

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

sorry I´m not around too much today. You right click on command prompt "run as administrator then type each command one by one, without restarting your PC. For example: NET START NSI <press enter> then you will receive a notification that the service has either started or was already running. Follow with NET START TDX <press enter> and so on and hopefully when you type the final NET START DHCP your DHCP client service will be running. Matt

Posted 8 years ago

akuigla

Hi Matt,
I typed as you said
Each service has already been started till I reached DHCP
When I typed NET START DHCP the answer was:
The DHCP client service could not be started.
A system error has occcurred
A system 5 error has occurred
Access is denied..
Maybe I will give up on pc-s and go back to abacus:)

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

hmm... let me have a look around for you and I will post back when I find something of use. Matt

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

Hi akuigla, it seems like a lot of people have the same problem as you. You could try typing this in cmd as administrator: netsh winsock reset catalog
You will need to restart your PC after doing this and then try the steps above again. Matt

Posted 8 years ago

akuigla

Hi Matt,
Netsh winsock catalog successfully reset
All previous steps repeated,after reboot
I kept my fingers crossed
The answer came
The DHCP slient server could not be started
A system error has occured
A system 5 error has occured
Access is denied
Why it doesnt says denied by whom or what?Maybe my pc need an egzorcist:)

Posted 8 years ago

akuigla

Hello,
I lost internet connections and run chck dsk.After that connections is back again, but something is deeply wrong.

Posted 8 years ago

akuigla

Hi,
I found a solution on other site, and because Ive seen many problems across internet about DHCP-here is the solution for vista:
in RUN box type regedit,click ok on uac,find HKEY_local_machine then double click on SYSTEM, double click on CurrentControl,double click Services and double click on Dhcp.Then right click Permissions and add SERVICE and give to it full control.Thats it:)
My pc is happy again,gave me a hug!

Posted 8 years ago

LH

You have got a hug. You deserve it :)

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

Nice one akuigla :)

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.