The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Desktop icons disappeared and then display as semi-transparent

(3 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by MrBigFists
  • Latest reply from ElmerBeFuddled
  • Topic Viewed 1309 times

MrBigFists

I ran into a strange virus a couple months back where all if the icons disappeared from my desktop. I went into folder options to show hidden folders and now the files are present but are semi-transparent. Additionally, since the problem occurred, my computer has been a bit sluggish. I am running Windows Vista on a 64bit machine. Has anyone else ran into this issue and, if you have, is there a solution to fix it?

Posted 7 years ago

warlock

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-rebuild-the-icon-cache-in-windows-vista/ If you are now virus free try this. Always make a back up of your data first.

Posted 7 years ago

ElmerBeFuddled

Your icons are semi-transparent so that you can tell that if you "hide" hidden folders, these will be the ones that disappear. Hold down ctrl and select them all one at a time, then right click on one of them and select properties. Under the General tab, untick the "Hidden" option and then click Apply > OK. They should all now be at the correct opacity.

If you haven't got it then I would also download Malwarebytes. Update the data base after installing. Then run a full scan in Safe Mode of all Drives / Partitions.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.