The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Dell 720

(69 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from tsmith777
  • Topic Viewed 3373 times

tsmith777

I just did a clean install using my XP CD my XPS720, all went well except now I cannot get on the Internet, I checked the internet connections and it says 1394 connection, connected 1394 Adapter. I have tried using the internet connection wizard and the did not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Did you install all the machine Device Drivers for your particular machine ??
http://ftp.dell.com/Browse_For.....0%20Black/

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I don't know, I cannot get online to check your link or Dell

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Is this your machine ??
http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....ct/xps-720

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

yes, Rick except it is silver and not black

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

I'm going to GUESS the color makes no difference.

Download the Networking Drivers from the Link I gave you and transfer them to A floppy or USB stick.
(May have to be Burned to a CD if methods above are not available)

Install the Lan Driver and connect machine to the router with a Lan Cable.

See if the machine will connect.

You should have NEVER done a Clean Install without being prepared and having a good working knowledge of your machine beforehand. :)

As you go through the Links I provided, you will see that many drivers and firmware updates depend on updating the Bios Revision Level.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

The reason I did a clean install is this computer failed completely and I thought the motherboard or hard drive had failed completely, it sat for several months until today and a I realized I had made recovery disks way back in August, so I ran that and it worked so I decided to do a clean install so I would have a functioning xp machine along with my win7 Dell 8500. It seams to me that connecting to the Internet should be pretty simple, but obviously I am wrong again. I checked services and all the internet stuff has started so thats not the problem

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

If the Recovery Disc was an image of the HDD and worked, then the system would have all the necessary machine device drivers needed for the hardware.

Will the Recovery Disc still boot and install the old HDD image over the clean install ??

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I don't know, how do I do that? There are 4 recovery disks

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I'll have to continue this tomorrow, I have to leave now, see ya later

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Set Bios to boot from CDrom first.

Put disc #1 in CD Tray and reboot the machine.

Press [ any key if ask ] or just see what happens.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, I am going to do the recovery again, after that completes, I will have to reinstall Windows, so I should do the upgrade and not the clean install, correct?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Do the recovery first and see if it works.

Then we'll decide what the next step should be.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I have the #1 recovery disk in and it says, your computer is about to be restored. All data currently on your computer will be deleted and repalced with your selected Full System BACKUP. Only the C: partition will be affected, other partitions will no be impacted. If an emergency File & Folder backup was created, it will be saved inb the location you selected. Should I select Yes, continue or No?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Select Yes and Continue.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, its formatting now

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Ok, just follow directions as they come up on the screen.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, recovery is complete and it said restart then a black screen came up and said NTLDR is missing, press ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del and it came up with the same message NTLDR is missing, press ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Reference is from:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

1.Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer and boot the system.

2.When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.

3.Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.

4.Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.

5.You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.

6.Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard drive. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7.Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Another Reference:
http://www.ehow.com/how_480486.....ssing.html

1. Locate your Windows XP/2000 installation disc and place it in your CD/DVD ROM drive. If you don't have this disk, then you cannot proceed further.

2. Restart your computer.

3. When the computer restarts press any key on your keyboard when you are prompted, "Press any key to enter setup." Most computers are configured to boot to another device other than a hard drive. Since the Windows XP/2000 installation disk is bootable, you should see the prompt. However, if you don't see the prompt you may need to change your boot priority in your BIOS. To do so, enter the system BIOS by following the onscreen instructions upon startup. Then navigate to the Boot Priority menu and modify another device, such as a CD-ROM to boot prior to the hard drive. Then reboot your computer.

4. After you have pressed any key, the Windows XP/2000 setup screen will appear. After loading, press the "R" key to repair the Windows installation. The screen will appear black. The computer requests which installation you would like to log in. Generally speaking, press "1" and "Enter." If you have more than one hard drive or more than one partition, the procedure may be different. You must know which hard drive or partition your Windows operating system is installed in. You are subsequently prompted for a password. If you haven't set up one up, you can just leave the query blank and press "Enter." The phrase "c:\WINDOWS>" and a blinking cursor subsequently appear.

5. Type "copy d:\i386\ntldr c:\windows" (without quotes), where "D" is the letter of your CD/DVD ROM drive (your optical drive may be different, especially if you have more than one). Eject the CD from the drive and type "Exit" (without quotes) to restart your computer. The NTLDR file will be copied from the installation disc to your hard drive.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I get to enter password, it will not accept my password that I use for everything

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I set up this computer I did not enter an administrator password

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Then leave the Password Blank and press Enter Key.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I leave it blank it says password is not valid, I do that three times and it says an invalid password has been entered 3 times, to restart your computer press enter. It does that with no password or my password that I use all the time.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Without the correct password, we are pretty well stuck.

It should be the password which you were using back in Aug when you made the backup.

Back then, did you have the Real Administrator Account Enabled ??

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Back in August I was using the same password I always use but I know I did not password protect the backup or the recovery. There would be nor reason for me to do that. As far as the real administrator account enabled, i don't even know what that is.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I am at the screen now that has three options, set up windows now, press enter, to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console press r, and to quit press f3. Can I try setting up windows XP now?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

If you setup the PC over the top of the existing installation, you will need the drivers as you did last night.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....covery.htm
Make Ophcrack and get the password.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I am wondering when I did the backup in august was the operating system backed up along with windows XP installation?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Did you have Two partitions on the hard drive ??

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I think I did, and when I selected 1 during the repair , thats when I got the password problem, so I did it again and selected 2 instead of 1 and it said not valid, so I don't know

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I am using my Laptop, with win 7 a toshiba now, can I get ophcrack on this computer and use it on the XP machine?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Reference Site:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....covery.htm

You should be able to download Ophcrack and make a Bootable CD to run on the XP machine.

The Ophcrack Windows password cracker is by far the best free Windows password recovery tool available. It's fast and easy enough for a first time Windows password cracker with a basic knowledge of Windows.

With Ophcrack, you don't need any access to Windows to be able to recover your lost passwords. Simply visit the site, download the free ISO image, burn it to a CD and boot from the CD. The Ophcrack program starts, locates the Windows user accounts, and proceeds to recover (crack) the passwords - all automatically.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, I'll do that right now, Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, I have the Ophcrack downloaded and on my desktop. I also have ImgBurn on my desktop, do I run Ophcrack first or burn it to ImgBurn first? Do I just drag the Ophcrack icon to ImgBurn if so which do I select on ImgBurn, Write Image file to disc, write files/folders to disc, create image file from disc or create image file from files/folders. sorry, I just want to get this correct

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Burning an ISO Image
Follow this tutorial.
http://neosmart.net/wiki/displ.....th+ImgBurn

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Rick, I followed the tutorial and it said to select write image file to disc and then use the browse function, I did that and selected desktop because thats where ophcrack is, but ophcrack does not appear under desktop in ImgBurn, what I doing wrong?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Browse in the Download Folder.

Reboot your machine and browse some more.

THANKS !!! GS :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

GS, It does say Desktop and All supported files, but file name is blank

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Rick, the download file is empty, I will restart now

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

After restart ophcrack is still not listed under desktop in ImgBurn.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

My Ophcrack says Oph win32 Installer 3.4.0 I have not ran the installer yet, I guess I have to do that, right?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Double click it.

I think it needs to be unpacked first.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I ran it I got an error Http/1.1.4 not found, I clicked ok and it completed and said it has been installed and I now have the desktop icon like yours, I checked ImgBuran again and Ophcrack is still not in the desktop in IngBurn.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

WRONG WRONG !!!!

Download OPHcrack Live CD for XP
http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/.....forge.net/

It will be an ISO file !!

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, it is downloading now, do I run it after it after downloads?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I click on the icon to run it, the Toshiba burning software opened up and wants me to insert a cd/dvd so i cannot use ImgBurn apparently. and the correct iso image of ophcrack is there

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

If you right click the ISO file you should be able to select 'Burn with ImgBurn'.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I just checked ImgBurn again and it is now listed under the desktop so I should use ImgBurn or Toshiba?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

You can now use Imgburn to browse for the ISO file as you tried to do before.

Not sure what the Toshiba software will do if you insert a blank clean disc.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I got it burned with ImgBurn and it was worked fine, I will now put it in the XP machine and see if it comes up with a password

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I am running the iso file and it went through many item and all said OK, but now it seems to be stuck at, Requesting events from the Kernel..._ with a very fast blinking cursor.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Still stuck and cursor blinking

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Seems to be taking too long, should be a lot quicker than that.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

It did go very fast until it got stuck

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Should I try exiting and running it again?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

I would.

It may even be worth trying the 'low Ram' option from the start up list, although I have never tried this way so you may be on your own trying to figure it out.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

The only way to exit is to power down, it also seems that my keyboard has been disabled

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

now I really have some strange things. The screen has a desktop that says My Documents, ophcrack, help & doc launcher at the bottom in large letters it says Slitaz and applications sakura osophcrack. In the middle ophcraqck with progress disabled*A 31d6cfeOd1 thats listed twice UpdatusUser. not found. In Sakura and searching tables in: /media/slr/tables, Tables found/media/slr/tables/xp_free_small. Found one partition that contains hashes:/media/sda2/Windows32/System32/config, starting Ophcrack. Does that mean there is nopassword?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

UpdatusUser 4d032c0222 Not Found in RED, there are several headings in ophcrack they all say empty or not found

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

At the bottom of the Ophcrack box it should have another section that says
Table | Directory | Status | Progress

Under the Table tab it should say XP, there should also be small box with a plus sign in it. Click that plus sign and the tree will expand so it will say something like
XP... ///media/sr0/... xx% in RAM
Tabl... xx% in RAM
Etc...

Is the progress bar to the right in green ?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Under the XP free ///media/sr 1/... there are 5 progress bars all of them are white and contain no data or color, nothing about ram anywhere

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Probably Best to:

1. Download these drivers and burn to CD using Windows 7 Machine.
http://www.dell.com/support/dr.....ct/xps-720

2. Do a Clean Install of XP Machine.

3. Figure out which Drivers are needed and install them from CD made in step #1

4. Close this Topic and start New XP Topic.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Progress bars white ? Doesn't sound like the program ran, there should be a button at the top of Ophcrack screen that says Crack. Click that and it should start.

However if you want to go the clean install route then follow Ricks advice.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

GS I did click on the button crack and nothing happened

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.