How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Corrupted C Drive

(88 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Fatalpath
  • Latest reply from Fatalpath
  • Topic Viewed 6466 times

Fatalpath

Hey,

Basically I corrupted my C drive, so now my computer won't boot properly.

I was just wondering, if I purchase a new internal hardrive and use the operating system and the drivers disc will I be
able to start my Pc from scratch?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

If the C partition is corrupted and there is no damage to the HDD, there is no need to buy a new drive. You can assume that your drive is OK. It is probably only a matter of the MFT or the MBR. You have to give us more details on what happened and how it manfests itself now. Then we might be able to tell you how to repair it.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Well, I posted a thread a couple of days ago where my problem started.
Here :Here

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

First you should have stayed with your first post.
Do you have the Vista installation disks?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Sorry :S

I've got an operating system disk and a drivers disc yeah

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Well since you keep getting corruption errors maybe it isn't your hdd but you O/S.
You will need to do a clean install.
I suggest you wipe your hdd with this first http://www.dban.org/
You will need to download, burn to disk and then after changing your boot order in your BIOS to optical device (CD/DVD) as first boot order boot your system an dwipe your hdd.
When completed pop in your installation disk and install Vista following all screen prompts.
After installing is complete then insert your driver disk and in needed drivers.
After this is done you will have a several MS updates to download & install. Go slow here and read each one before installing as some may not be needed.
I would also suggest you make a backup image of your system so you and recover it in case of a problem in the future

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Will it work if i stick it on a dvd-r?

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

yes ... but waste of dvd, have you a cd-rw, or cd,r

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

NeroStartSmart wont let me create a bootable disc with a dvd-r Ill have to go purchase some Cds.
Ill post back in a bit to let you know whats going on

Posted 8 years ago

vistamike

http://www.imgburn.com/ download this first, then download or right click and open with...img. the disk will the burned as an .iso.
You can use a dvd but make it -R, it burns at a slower speed and is more accurate. Whether cd/dvd you gotta wiper for a while.
Insert the dban disk and at the prompt type autonuke. That will wipe your drive for a fresh install; the wipe may take a while but let it do the job.
Then follow germ-x and you will have a fresh install

Mike

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Thanks Mike I'll give it a go

Posted 8 years ago

vistamike

OK, best of luck, but it is the best way to go. Hope you backed up all your .doc/.xls/.jpeg. Cos this wipe is gonna really clean your drive and recovery software is a bit iffy as previously discussed on HTG.

Mike

Posted 8 years ago

202d

Nero , to make a bootable OS disc, ...you use the image burner. You need a .iso or .nrg install image, OEM, from microsoft or from a OEM disc. Any other form of burning a Windows install disc will not work, or is probably not OEM and I would not recommend it.

As far as your problem, whenever I have a HDD or O.S. only related problem, especially a HDD corruption, a virus, or a MBT/startup up file error problem, I ALWAYS start by taking the HDD out and hooking it up to another machine. Did you mention which OS? REgardless of which you have on the problem HDD, if you hook it up to another machine and use the right click menu for disc repair, let it scan and correct errors, that has a decent success rate. So, I have a USB 3.0 sATA docking station which helps, but all you need is a tower you can open the side on or a laptop with an open USB port, and a drive enclosure. If its a laptop you are using as the test/fix machine, place problem HDD into an enclosure, plug in USB, go to 'my computer' right click on the USB enclosure drive letter and select properties>tools>check now. Select the open check box so that it scans AND fixes errors. It can take a while so have a sandwich ready. (maybe even a full length movie). After its done see if teh scan results have any bad sectors. Even one bad sector, get a new HDD. Also, note the temp of the scanned HDD; it may be warm but if it is hot, like almost burning your hand hot, then even if it has NO bad sectors, still dump it and go with a new one. [Data extraction is another whole process so I will go over that later if you want/need it. ] At this point, with no bad sectors, you would then reinstall it into its original machine and try booting. If you have XP on the problem drive, this hopefully will bring it back. If you have 7 or Vis Ta , and it still doesnt boot, then at that point I would put in that OEM install disc, and use the repair option.

If you have just decided to reformat (always the surest method) let me know and I will give you a quick to-do list to help streamline the process.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Okay that Paragraph confused the hell out of me, but I think I got most of it.

Vista is my OS, ill have a go at hooking it up to the machine, but if it repeats what it says on the problem computer, I cant do anything with it because its asking for the discs. Which it doesnt seem to do. How much is a 1tb internal hdd nowadays anyway?

Ill keep you posted.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

From all your input it appears you would be better off with a total wipe of your hdd & a clean install. Do you have the Vista installation disks?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Yeah I have the discs. How do I do a "total wipe" then?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Look at the post above and download DBan and imgburn. Burn a Cd with DBan and make sure your boot order is your optical device as first boot. This is done in the BIOS. Boot your computer, when DBan starts just follow the screen prompts and wipe your drive, then reboot and install Vista.

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

g-x always use's this ... http://www.dban.org/ and this http://www.imgburn.com/ burn to disk, then insert the disk into tray,close, turn your machine off, you may need to re-start holding f12, then choose ''boot'' then select dvd/cd, press enter, when you reach dban main screen click option 1... enter.(sorry tom typeing ''columbus style:)

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Thanks all. I'll give it a go and post back.

Posted 8 years ago

vistamike

Fatalpath, please read the posts above, don't get disorientated.
dban (don't even think of repair)
img (burn the iso)
Now you are fresh, don't bugger around with repair to resolve this problem, let dban do it's job. Then reinstall the OS
Do exactly as described above and don't deviate otherwise it's a waste of time trying to help you

Mike

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

@ mike did not mean to input any variouations on what had already been posted, i used your link/s to keep the op on the right path:)

mark.

Posted 8 years ago

vistamike

mark don't worry. We all on the road to recovery and there is a long joke there mate
Them blinking hospitals.........

Mike

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

So I tried to imgburn the dban on my old computer... (The only one with a drive that can write discs) it said failed due to power calibration error?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

best try another computer to make your disk

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Okay so the problem somehow manage to solve itself on the imgburn thing. It wrote the disc but then had trouble verifying it whilst doing the tray cycle.

I changed the boot sequence and stuck the disc in, but.....well nothing?

I was wondering when I need to write the disc , do I use the RAR file or do I extract it and use the raw ISO file?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

neither, You use imageburn & it extracts the .iso file into a bootable hdd wipe application

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

In which case it hasn't done anything.

Anything that I could have done wrong?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

if you open the CD how many files are on the Cd?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Okay so, it took me some time. But I got a friend to make the Dban disc for me. It worked fine. Now i just need to install windows all over again. I tried before, but for some reason my screen just loses the signal and goes off....so thats for another problem I guess but thanks for all the help guys.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Im reviving this thread.

So, my computer wont let me install an OS on it...
So I take it ive got to purchase a new internal HDD?

Also, How Do i figure out which one is which?

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

what error do you get when the disk starts why?(post back) are you suspecting the hdd now?(reason) there may be nothing wrong with your drive.

mark. post back

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Im paraphrasing here as I did it the other day, but when it installs the files, it pretty much tells me I cant do it because of a boot problem.

The reason above is why im suspecting its the HDD. Its trying to install the OS on the C Drive and it cant because of a boot problem.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Can you please post exactly what error message you are getting.
What boot problem?
Did Vista install completely?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Yeah you'll have to give me a quite a few hours, my setup is intensely awkard.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Okay so, I lost patience, I bought a 1tb 3.5" SATA HDD.

And another hurdle comes, Im getting so annoyed with this.
So, If you go back a page. Youll see i mentioned my previous thread.
[quote]My TV goes black and my tower starts "preparing for takeoff" by which I mean, the fan is going like mad.
So because I cant see anything, (My Tv loses the input or something) I have to turn it off by the switch.[/quote]

See, this problem here, I thought was the harddrive.

However, upon install vista on my NEW hdd. THAT very problem has been happening....

I can be on the computer for about five minutes, then it kills itself. It turning off like that, makes me think its a virus.
I tried safemode with networking, and it still happens.

Has anyone got any idea what I can do? =/

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

ok calm down :) i know it can be frustrating but hopefully we will, try to get to the bottom of it, right make+model of your machine desktop. as germ-x stated did vista load ok and no problems, how many 'hdd' have you got .

mark.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Yeah Vista installed fine.
Its a DELL XPS 420.
Ive got 2 HDD in the pc atm. My new one, and my previous D Drive HDD.

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

what program,is it you are having problems with you stated in above and is it no diffrent in vista o/s, are you saying you have two vista o/s ? one on each hdd,? so i know where i am :)

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

I dont understand what you mean by "what program" there's no specific application

I have installed Vista on my new HDD.
There is no OS on my other D drive.
My C drive that is corrupt is not in any computer.

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

this do you mean monitor ?

My TV goes black and my tower starts "preparing for takeoff" by which I mean, the fan is going like mad.
So because I cant see anything, (My Tv loses the input or something) I have to turn it off by the switch.

mark. can you get to the vista (any) desktop ? post back .

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Yeah I mean monitor. But I think thats because it...well it turns itself off? Kinda thing, its still on, but its not?

Yeah I can get to the vista desktop for a few minutes before it does it kills itself again.

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

it still sounds like a corrupt file still , where did you get your install disk. and the F12 screen cuts of as well ?

germ-x or someone will pop along in a bit, as i stated did your o/s disk come with your computer ? i dont think, its monitor, not hdd,( could be bios,setting)? ps, or something else inside your tower is getting hot thats why the fan starts, in the end it cuts off the power.

hang five.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Have you looked at the fan on your video card, or do you have integrated video?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Uhh, I can see the fan on my video card yeah, what about it.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Is it running? What mfg & model # of your video card?
Have you the latest drivers installed?
It is starting to look like an overheating problem.
When you remove the side cover is it clean inside or is there dust?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

As far as I know its running as the fan is turning.
I think its a geforce 8600 GTS, as far as drivers go, im not sure if theyre the latest.

There WAS a lot of dust in the tower when i first had the corruption problem, or what I thought it was. I cleaned it out, so now its clean.

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

did you knock anything loose accidently, memory modules, leads, fan connection leads ?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Not as far as I know I've seen a lead or two hanging around. I can get round to taking a picture if it helps.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Do you know if your mob has integrated video? You can check in the BIOS to see.
If it does enable it and remove your external video card. powerup your system and see if the video stays on.
How long does your video stay on before shutting off?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Where abouts would I find this in the BIOS?

Atm it stays on for about...5 minutes?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Here is a link for what I think is your manual. It doesn't show an onboard video.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm
Can you get a small fan and put it next to the open side of your case for a short test to see if your problem is heat related or hardware related?

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

or even leave side casing off (temporary) DONT TOUCH see if it makes a diffrence, if so, try g-x's idea sounds the best idea :)

sorry g, got called away ! :)

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Sorry, had to have dinner, Oh sorry yeah my bad, I mixed up graphics with video. So if it doesnt have onboard, what do i do?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

remove your video / graphics card. Whatever you want to call it and then look at the fan and make sure it is clean.
Plug it back in and follow the last two replys above and start your system.
You have to determine if it is a software or hardware issue.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

...Ive got to unscrew it?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

you have to remove your VGA cable and also there is one retaining screw that you need to remove. This screw holds the card in place.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

...Okay, but as for the VGA cable, how would I get to see the computer menu's and that on my monitor if I've taken the VGA cable out?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Okay, Im currently on my problem computer, Ive got the case off the side and a fan currently blowing air into it.

It seems to be working perfectly, so im guessing its an overheating problem. Any idea how to fix it?

Also I read somewhere i might need a BIOS update? Your thoughts on this?

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

is the fan going continuously or no?. how long does it stay on for ?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Which fan? Video card fan or the actual fan?

The video card seems to be constantly spinning along with the other fan.
And its stayed on the entire time now that the other fan is cooling it.

Which suggests its the overheating problem.

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

is it still clean inside it might be worth thinking about another fan, i will find you a link to cheak the temp,

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1325/Real_Temp_3.00.html have a peep.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

See, what I thought was my video card, has the NVIDIA logo on it, I hope its the right thing.

Ill have a look now.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Temperature

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

under history second line down, it mentions 'nvidia' version 3.00. yeh it is running a little high, where is your desktop positioned... i mean is it well
ventilated, is your room hot ? or normal, im just trying to get an idea, has your machine always ran hot or haven't noticed !

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Its pretty much always ran hot, but Ive only had this problem recently. My room used to get incredibly hot, to the point where you'd start sweating. I got an aircon unit in my room now so its usually quite cool.

Atm its in this makeshift position, on the floor with the case open as the fan helps keep it cool. Now that I think about it, along with the room being so hot, its not exactly in the most well ventilated places It could be. However, I've had this computer around 3 or 4 years now and the problem has only just begun.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Heat does take a toll on everything. Do you know if you have another case fan? Most cases come with a fan behind the front panel and some have one on the side then again some have another one in the rear. This plus the PSU fan. If it is running ok like you have it and it is not in anyones way then leave it for maybe a couple of days to make sure a little extra cooling will take care of it.
You can purchase an internal fan depending on your needs.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

As far as I know I don't, I ordered it from dell, and well, anything you dont specify, you dont get :S
I think Ill have to buy an internal fan yeah.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

I would use the system for a while with the outside fan running before jumping and buying a fan. You might have other problems.
Here are just a few
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=cooling+fans

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Slightly off topic, I have a fan as part of one of my old xbox case mods. I dont suppose that would fit, would it?

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

you would have to cheak the voltage, it requires and cheak your internal fan to see what that is,(good idea if it will work there are 2 in the xbox?) fans are 'cheep as chips', one of the other guys will look in.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Yeah there's two of em, How will I check the voltage?

Posted 8 years ago

marks100

it should be written on the xbox fan, and your internal fan (you have to remember not to overload the power supply. also to make sure you have the fan pointing the right so it blowing the air inside .... out!. first make sure there's a place to put the extra fan .

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

This isnt an original xbox fan.
Also, it has a 4 pin plug
Would there be a problem with that?

Edit: According to the product site.
DC Power: 12V (at 5v)-
Current: 160mA -
Speed: 4100RPM -
Air flow: 46CFM -
Loudness: 38d(B)a

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

Do you have a voltmeter?
Will they fit neatly in your case?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Does the fan? No, and Im not sure, atm I can only see one 4 pin port and its being used. =/

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

read this and see if your connector matches the ones that supply 12 & 5 volts
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

I know the connector is the "4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable" but, all the rest makes no sense to me :S

I also have the "4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable" port but, its currently in use and I dont know what by.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

The large white one is for an hdd power supply ( 12 & 5 vdc)
The small white looks like a fan power supply.
The 2 black ones are power supply got a SATA hdd.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Ah okay, Is there such a thing as a 4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable splitter?

And this is what I suspect is my videocard?
(Despite the image, it is spinning lol)

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

The fan blades look a little dusty. Not that bad but could be cleaned up.
Yes, you can purchase the splitters for very little cost.

EDIT: here is the voltage and color code of the spare white connector that shows in the photo you sent
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/molex-pinout-4-pin-psu.htm

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Apologies for the late reply.

As i only have one visible female 4 pin.

I was hoping to find a male to two female splitters. Can anyone point me and the direction, also how do I know that doing such a thing won't overload my motherboard?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

can you post an image of what you have?

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

An image of what exactly?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

an image of this "As i only have one visible female 4 pin."
Here is a link for you to browse and see if what you want is here. Just google what you want and you can find

Posted 8 years ago

LH

g-x, post the link :)

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

here's the splitter link
http://www.google.com/search?q=PSU+cable+splitters&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8#q=PSU+cable+splitters&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&prmd=ivs&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=fo27TNOoE4KBlAfdl9yVDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEYQrQQwAw&fp=444d6326654cadfa
there are other links if you don't find what you want here

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

hey guys, sorry for the late reply, Im having net problems on my pc now, so ive had to used another pc.

For the overheating, im looking to split the lead that connects a cd/drive.

as for my net problem, it says im connected to local and internet, but upon loading up firefox, it cant connect to anything, trying to sign into msn or something, it has "key ports" is the problem.

Posted 8 years ago

Fatalpath

Sorry for the late reply,

Im having net problems on my computer, it says local and internet connected but when i load up firefox, it wont load up any webpages.

Anyways, im hoping to split my cd drive to operate a video card cooler fan? Any ideas on what to do?

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.