The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Computer Freezes Randomly. Hard Reset only Option

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by brettreinheart
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 20296 times

brettreinheart

Background: My computor has been freezing up randomly within 10 to 20 minutes of starting up. THe mouse is immobile and no programs respond. Ctr +alt+delete doesnt work. I have restored my computer to factory settings. Updated video drivers, used a registry defragmentor and cleanor, ran heat test (even though it happens quickly after turning on sometimes.) The cpu is an HP: HPE-500Z desktop comutor. Any and all help is appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

warlock

Maybe some more information will trigger a response. Restores to factory settings how, and when? Did you run any virus or malware scans? Also how and when? Is your computer dust free? Clean vents etc. Ran a heat test when and with what? Any hard drive noise?

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

Did you update all the drivers for your motherboard, not just the video drivers?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Sounds like the CPU Heat Sink assembly may have become unsecured tightly to the CPU.

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

OR

Switch RAM Modules between slots. Cleans corrosion off of pins.

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

Well, this happened to my wife's XP SP3 system a month or so before. I 'believe' I am an expert in diagnosing problems such as this and I was TOTALLY STYMIED for a few days. I was at the point of buying her a NEW computer!!!

OK, some details and the surprising answer...

First we do at least weekly back-ups. Normal h/w testing, mostly memory, and looking at the Event Viewer didn't show anything unusual. Next step was to see if an update or new install could have caused the problem. This meant saving an image of the C: and restoring it. One week, problem persisted, one month, problem persisted... OK, it wasn't new s/w as the freezes had been going on for about a week.

Next, since the mouse was frozen and that was the telltale signal of a freeze, checked to see if it (a Logitech wireless trackball) was up to date... it was, but I re-installed it to be sure... still freezes. To be sure, I replaced the mouse with a wired version, still freezes.

Her keyboard also is wireless, so I replaced those drivers, still freezes, so I replace the keyboard with a wired on, not fixed.

I now focused on a pure s/w problem. Messed with MSCONFIG and SERVICES.MSC to trim down the starting apps... no help.

Then I got LUCKY, really. As luck would have it, we got back our standard router that had died and was replaced by ASUS. Although her lockups had started before this, the p/w had changed between the back-up LinkSys router and the ASUS. To connect to the internet/router, the p/w for sign-in had to be changed. As I installed backups I did this. However, one night it was late, takes about 1/2 hour to restore an image, so I started it off and went to be. The next morning, the system was STILL running! Why? I had NO clue? I declared the problem cured but I didn't know why? I set the router p/w and told my wife it was fixed. 10 minutes later a scream and I knew it wasn't? So I repeated the process, re-loaded the same 1 week old image. It never froze during this process as Norton's Ghost DVD is booted, and that should have been a clue for me.

The REAL lucky part and the solution :

As I thought more about this, I finally realized it couldn't be active h/w since it never froze during the restore process. It didn't freeze either until my wife started using it. This really racked my brain and I couldn't figure it out. Then lady luck came to the rescue. As I was entering the new router p/w the system froze immediately after I pressed enter. Could it be the NETWORK CARD? I've got a spare. Replaced it, POOF, problem gone.

Note that many people think of RAM as the issue or over-heating. Not always the case. Disable the network card and/or run in SAFE MODE, see if the problem persists.

Good luck.

Irv S.

Posted 5 years ago

alishathomaz

Switch the RAM slots and re-plug the hard drive and optical drive cables. Also check the power cable and confirm that fan is running.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Need to answer warlocks question: "Restores to factory settings how, and when"
Did you use the restore partition?
Is this the same mouse that came with the computer?
Have you run the system from safe mode?

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.