The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Computer Won't Boot / Boot MGR is missing

(74 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by GregoryG
  • Latest reply from Veegertx
  • Topic Viewed 2454 times

GregoryG

Um, I have previously had problems with my computer as regards to it not booting, and the hdd having trouble. But in the past, I have been able to fix it by using my windows 7 disc, and doing clean installs of windows. When I was using my computer before I had this problem, I had two partitions: one I was operating off of, it had all my info, various programs, etc. , it was on c: My second partition was a partition I was using before I did a fresh install on C: So, yesterday, I only had 20 gigs left on C: , and D: had almost 200 gigs free. I used a 3rd party program to try and resize D: , but it was going terribly slow, it took about 2 or 3 minutes to shrink it enough for 1 gig, and I needed plenty of gigs. So, I decided to format D: and just add the unallocated space to C: .. so I did, and I rebooted my computer, and it said no bootable device, and I came to find out that I was booting from D: , but doing everything from my C: partition. I tried using the windows 7 disc, but, my computer went dead, and shut down when I was doing a clean install on the unallocated space that I had from D: Now, my computer is saying Boot MGR is missing { press ctrl + alt + del to restart } .. but when I restart the same message comes up. I don't know what to do now..

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

Yes if you install to other partitions the boot is still on 1st disk.

How about wipe all partitions and start over. Make an extra for files and install OS to 1st.
If you want to save any files then get the Bitdefender CD and boot with it to copy files over to like a usb.
http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/article/627/

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

@ Veegertx: I have lots of information and stuff on that partition that I absolutely have to keep, you think there's a way to back up all of the stuff on my C: partition? But, I can't start over because whether I try to boot from my hdd, or the windows 7 disc, it tells me Boot Mgr is missing, before I could use the disc, but, I left the room for a sec, and came back to see my computer off. And when I started it back up, I got the Boot Mgr is missing. Thanks for the suggestion !

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

I was just catching up on Geek articles hold on let me find that one

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

EDIT:

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

@ Veegertx: Thanks ! I'll check it out and let you know how it works out, if you have any other suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

I updated the thing look at the article

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

What did you change?

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

the link how to boot off your dvd and repair
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Oh, I'm using windows 7. I could be wrong, but it looks like that's just for Vista.

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

don't matter says Boot Windows 7 or Vista
They are same far as boot

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

So, the Vista Recovery disc will work for Windows 7? BTW, the minitool program didn't work, my computer is still saying Boot MGR is missing ..

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

Vista disk won't work for 7. The article is for both Vista and 7 is what I meant as far as boot.

If that don't help then my 1st post with bitdefender and plug an extra drive or usb and copy your files over and do clean install

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Alright. uh, man, I feel stupid :/... um, when I went into my bios I accidentally put usb cd/rom drive first, instead of putting internal cd drive first. I popped in the minitool cd again, and I'm gonna try that again. and if that doesn't work, I'll probably be able to use the windows 7 disc and figure something out ! But, if I did a fresh install on the unallocated space I have, you think I'd be able to still use programs, and access files from my C: partition that I was using before I formatted D: ?

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

You're learning and that is not a stupid thing. Been there done that myself on ocassion :)

The article shows how to fix the boot but if that don't work then I would save the files using the Bitdefender CD
Might see if this works also windows-7-comes-lot-repair-options

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Alright, thanks for your help ! I cranked up minitool, and I'm currently trying to recover the partition I formatted. I might just have to resize it after all, and hope for the best.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

I have a question , um, minitool is working kinda but when it finds the partition i deleted, and i click finish , it warns me that one of my partitions may be deleted... and it might delete the partition i wanna keep. If you know anyway to explain this or clear it up , i' d appreciate it.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

GregoryG,
First I would suggest you get your important data "OFF" of your hard drive before you attempt to play with your partitions.
You can download either the BitDefender from the link above or Unbuntu from this link.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
Once you download the file of your choice then burn to a Cd > change your boot order in your BIOS making your optical device as first boot > start your computer > recover everything you can onto either an external hdd, DVd, or flash drive.
Once you have your important data saved and off your existing hard drive then you will need to completely wipe your hard drive and start new.
After wiping your drive you can insert the Win7 installation DVD in DVD tray and go through the complete installation including formatting and windows will make a new "C" partition to install win7.
When you finally get your system up and running then make a backup image so if something happens in the future it will only take approx 1/2 hr to get up and running again.

g-x

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

I wouldn't do that.
Instead try the Geek article above about fixing the mbr with your Win 7 dvd.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

@Veegertx, There have been many many posts with the bootmgr problem and that link has been tried many many times with little if any success.
Our main concern right now is helping the OP retrieve his data. Playing around with un-allocacted space by trying to repartition will eventually cause the data the OP needs to get corrupted.

g-x

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Ok, so Germ, if I got an external hdd, what software would you recommend I use to back up my data? And how much you guys think a 300 gig hdd would cost?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Don't know where you are located but if in the USA you can get one for approx $50.00. You can get a 500gb from $50.00 - $ 100.00

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

ok, thanks ! Any back up software you recommend?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

If your going to mak an image then suggest you download this free imaging software burn to Cd. You might have to install on another system since your system doesn't boot. You will have to make a recovery disk. You should now be able to boot your system with the Cd you made and make an image onto your external drive.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

g-x

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

ok germ-x
I didn't realize it didn't work. I have never gotten that problem on my own PC. Think I'll mess it up and see what happens and see if I can recover but I have an acronis TIH image. Course not same issue as OP since his boot was on another partition

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Alright, so I need to burn that software to a cd , put in my computer , boot from it , and back up my stuff on the hdd ? or make an image ? unless they're the same thing..

Posted 5 years ago

LH

The CD is for when you want to recover the image you have made on the external drive. It is is boot CD, so test it to make sure you can recover the image. No good waiting til the crunch time comes.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

okay, you want me to burn it now , boot from it and see if i can get the image ? I don't mean to sound dumb, I just wanna be 100% clear and do everything correctly. BTW, what exactly is an image?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

An image is an exact copy of any partition/drive you have made from your hard drive, to an external drive.
I make one daily at 12:00. I then install programs to test, and visit lots of sites after. If a program messes up my system, or I contract a virus from a bad site, then I can re-image my system back to 12:00, and all is normal again.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

ooookay ..how large is an image usually , like, some mbs , or gigs?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Very much depends on the size of the drive you imaged, and if you used compression or not, and if so, how much.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Ok, so if I wanted to make an image of my partition , that's about 300 gigs , how large you think the image would be?

Posted 5 years ago

Zagreus

If you get stuck, go here https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/

Daveh.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Maybe at maximum compression, about 200GB. I don't use compression at all (far safer). Why do you have your system partition that big ?

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

well, I have a 600 gig hdd.. and with all the programs and stuff, and files, it takes up that much space. So, I would need a 200 or 300 gig cd ?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

If you can find a CD that big, you would get the geek of the year award. You need to rethink your whole hard drive strategy.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Jeesh, uh , can I use the cd as a median to back up my partition on an external hdd? Thanks for the article Daveh !!!

Posted 5 years ago

LH

No you can't use CD's. You know how many it would take ? Around 500.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

I mean, can I use a cd with some back up software on it, to back up my partition by sending everything to the external hdd?

Posted 5 years ago

Zagreus

You could try Norton ghost, but macrium is free.

Daveh.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

So, that is possible? .. to use macrium to back up everything to an external hdd?

Posted 5 years ago

Zagreus

Gregory! That's what it does, and you can use the same program to reimage.

Daveh.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Ohhhhhhh!!!!! Sorry.... :/ ... so , it's as easy as popping in the cd, finding the partition, and backing it up to the external hdd? I thought I'd have to put it on cds .. geez louise , if so, thats a relief : )

Posted 5 years ago

Zagreus

Just follow the link i gave you and then follow the tutorial. You can't go wrong.

Daveh.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Okay , I'll try it out and let you know how it works !

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

BTW
Most Image utils compress the thing. I have a 650 GB drive as C
Example: If I right click my C drive it is 25GB. Using Acronis which has never failed me my image turns out 11.8 GB and I select to backup all partitions on drive 1 including the 100mb. It don't image the blank sectors. I don't think macrium does either unless in like Acronis you can choose sector by sector. With Acronis I can browse my images and extract files as needed, I don't think you can do that with the free macrium but may be wrong

Since you formatted the boot partition I don't really see how image is going to help except you have backup in case. Make sure you choose all partitions.

I think your best bet is the Bitdefender CD and copy the files you want over to a backup drive and then do clean install.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

You don't need the CD to backup your drive to external. That is just for recovering from your external drive.
I think a bit of confusion has rained down.

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

With Bitdefender you can copy your files to a backup drive or usb. Have done it.

What purpose would an image do here? His boot drive partition was waxed

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Um, when I put in the cd , it says to find a folder or drive that contains the image to be loaded , but , I don't have any images , as far as I know , any suggestions?

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

someone who has used macrium needs to respond here. As I said I use Acronis so can''t help.

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Look for an option to "Make a Backup Image"
I use Macrium on one system but Norton Ghost as my main image software. Ghost has an option to boot your computer with the Ghost Cd and then I can select to Backup my computer as well as recover my computer. I think Acronis also has this option.

g-x

Posted 5 years ago

LH

You can also boot Macrium from it's recovery CD.

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

geez I created CD and same thing. Won't let you create image from the Rescue cd. Only restore images

Posted 5 years ago

LH

It is a restore disk...You create the image from Macrium installed in Windows.

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

lol he can't boot into windows
Computer Won't Boot / Boot MGR is missing

Macrium is crap at this point. Bitdender CD as I said in my first post page 1

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Veegertx, the OP doesn't need to boot into windows since we know his windows won't boot. He just needs to boot up his system with the Macrium or equal imaging CD. At this point windows isn't even in the picture. No difference then the Bitdefendr Cd you suggested.
I don't think bitdefender is an imaging software, maybe I'm wrong on that since I have never use it.
Macrium isn't the best but it is free and has a fair amount of options.

g-x

Posted 5 years ago

LH

You just ain't getting it. ALL imaging programs work on the same same method. You install the program (be it Norton Ghost, Macrium Reflect, or any of the others). Burn the CD recovery disk. Make your backups to an external drive (preferably). Then when you get a major problem (like a virus, or big problems with a program you just installed, or the hard disk dies) then you boot from the CD, and recover the image you made on the external drive previously.

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

So riddle me this. How do you install a program on a computer won't boot???

He apparently installed on a different PC and created the macrium recovery. GregoryG please verify that

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

GregoryG
Not sure this will work since your boot drive was messed up

Boot with your Windows 7 dvd and when it gets to point of 'Install Windows' then stop

Press [Shift] and [F10] together should get you a command prompt.
Now type bcdedit
Somehow copy what it shows and show me. If you have a floppy or usb jump drive you can redirect it to that by
bcdedit > X:\bcdedit.txt where X is your drive letter

Posted 5 years ago

LH

OK.I see what happened. Gregory changed his tack halfway through the thread, and started asking about backup options before he had recovered his system.

Gregory. Is your system booting up ok yet ? If not, have you got, or can you borrow an installation or repair disk for W7. And is yours 32 or or 64bit?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

Hopefully this will clear the confusion
Buy the Cd or download the imaging software
Install on a working PC. ( Norton Ghost can be purchased with seperate recovery CD)
Burn the recovery Cd
Boot a non working PC with the imaging recovery Cd. Doesn't matter if there is an O/S on the PC or not. It will boot up like any bootable software.
Once the PC boots off the recovery CD you will have a GUI window with options
One option is "RECOVER MY COMPUTER"
Another option is "BACKUP MY COMPUTER"
Other options include browse my image, schedule images, recover specific files/folders to default location or location of your choice.
There are other options available.
The main point is it will boot the OP's PC and he can then make an image to any external storage device of choice.

g-x

Posted 5 years ago

LH

g-x. I uploaded a W7 repair disk to Rapidshare today (32bit). If his system is 32bit, then he can use that.

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

He has a w7 disk. read 1st post. You can do anything with that
I'd like for him to do the bcdedit I posted above cause I messed mine up today intentionally and was able to recover

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I did read his first post. But an installation disk does not always have repair options on it.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

I'm gonna try to use bitdefender and back up my stuff on an external hdd .. and once I format my hdd, I'll reinstall windows and recover everything then..

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Veegertx

We don't know what someone has available when first asking but the absolute easiest way is to slave the drive into another PC and copy them over.

Bitdefender will work though and not too hard, just have to ease around a linux OS. Make sure backup drive is hooked up before you start up Bit CD. When you know you are sucessful unplug the drive when installing Windows. Has been known to cause conflicts with extra drives in some cases.

A+ to having Bit is now you have an antivirus disk will bootup PC and update itself online and scan

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Unfortunately guys , I still haven't gotten an external hdd . I probably will soon, but atm.. I haven't. I was wondering if I could install windows by creating another partition and transfer everything I need from my old one, and get rid of it .. think it's possible?

Posted 5 years ago

germ-x

If it were me I would backup my data before trying anything unless you don't need anything saved. If you don't need to save anything you might as well do it right and wipe the hdd and do a clean install. Your call. You might luck out and it might boot then again you might get the same bootmgr missing error you have now since you don't know where your boot partition is. If you have your data backed up and then you want to play with an additional partition that is the time to play.

EDIT: LH and Veegertx, FYI if you boot with your Ghost recovery Cd there is an option to "Backup My Computer". This is the same as the old..... DOS floppy days. You can make an image even though you don't actually have Ghost installed and or Windows functional. That's why it rates hi.

g-x

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Well, I've fixed the mgr problem.. when I was trying to install windows with some unallocated space my pc went dead .. long story short , I just deleted it .. it didn't even finish. Now I'm just getting the "no bootable device" thing.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

But, I'm wondering if I can install windows .. by creating another partition and just transfer the files I want to the new one. Because it seems that I shouldn't have the problem that started all of this, which was the fact that I booted from D instead of C ..

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

GregoryG
From what I gathered you deleted the actual 1st partition which contains the boot.
Should be no reason you can't install to it now and copy over the stuff and then delete 2nd partition. Then you will have to remove it from the boot list

Germ-x
I know cause we used it last place I worked but I use Acronis @ home for many years and I only create images from outside Win with boot CD and never has failed me.

Posted 5 years ago

GregoryG

Guys !! I got it fixed !! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You ! I bought a hdd, temporarily, and connected it to my computer, which I loaded with the bitdefender cd, and I simply copied the files I needed.. My computer is back working , I shouldn't ever have that problem again, and yeah. Once again, thankss !! I've learned a lot from this..

Posted 5 years ago

Veegertx

Glad you got it going
That bitdefender is an easy way just right click and send to

please use the macrium image stuff now after you get it set up. That will allow you to boot with CD and browse for image stored on that 2nd drive. weekly backups is good long as you know they are virus free and such.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.