The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Computer not shutting down

(11 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by dot51
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 12926 times

dot51

Sometimes when I shut down my computer, it won't shut down. It has happened to me twice in two weeks, in which I turned the computer off before going to sleep, and the next day the computer is still on, in which it is stuck at the screen that says Shutting Down. If anyone could help me with this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Posted 9 years ago

edmenje

I would suspect that a program that is still open at the time you shut down is not responding to the Windows shutdown command. On the times this has happened did you manually close open programs first, or did you leave something open expecting that Windows would (as normally is the case) close all open programs for you before closing the OS? The program that is ignoring the Windows shutdown procedure could be hanging the cycle while the OS is waiting for the program to close. You should check out the Event Viewer by going to:
Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer
to track down what is happening to keep Windows from completing the process.

Once you've identified what is hanging the system you may need to re-install whatever it is that is causing the problem.

Posted 9 years ago

dot51

I've looked at the event viewer information and I have found the log problem. I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here. The details of the problem are
Log Name: Security
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Eventlog
Date: 11/29/2009 8:41:36 PM
Event ID: 1101
Task Category: Event processing
Level: Error
Keywords: Audit Success
User: N/A
Computer: Steven-PC
Description:
Audit events have been dropped by the transport. The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown.

When you said that I should try reinstalling the corrupt file, I did not know how to find the file's name. It would be great if someone could help me with this problem.

Posted 9 years ago

edmenje

You could try the sfc/ scannow command and have Windows scan and fix corrupted system files, since it seems to be a system file that's corrupt causing your problem. Here is an article with more information sfc/ scannow to fix corrupt system files.
To put it in a nutshell, right-click on command prompt shortcut in the start menu, select run as administrator, type sfc /scannow in the command window and it will scan your system files and attempt to fix any corrupted files it finds.

The re-install suggestion was for a 3rd party program in case that was the culprit.

Posted 9 years ago

dot51

It appears that the scan had found corrupt files within my system and then had fixed them. It then said that I could view the information on the corrupt files in the file C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.Log. When I try to access these files, it says access denied under the command prompt. I then tried to view them using the Run window, and it also came up as access denied. Is there any other way of viewing these files, or no?

Also, thank you for the help you have given me. I will see if my computer has the same problem in the future.

Posted 9 years ago

edmenje

You can gain access to the file by using the "Take Ownership" registry hack available here at The How to Geek site. The article and download of the registry patch is available here.

After adding the take ownership registry entry you have a right-click menu item which will elevate your permissions on any file (you can also use this to delete those pesky files left behind by programs after an uninstall that give you that same problem with permissions). Use Windows Explorer to go to the file and right-click it. A command prompt window will flash on the screen and then you can go ahead and double-click to open the log, it will open in notepad and you can then view the contents of the log. Hope the information there will be of use to you.

Posted 9 years ago

dot51

It appears that the problem still exists. If you or anyone else could give me other suggestions, than thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

1. Here is how you can look at the CBS.log http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228/en-us
2. In the future, uninstall programs with Revo (advanced option). That gives you a chance to clean up all the junk the program uninstaller leaves behind. http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Posted 9 years ago

dot51

For the problem that is still existing, I had meant that my computer will still not shut down entirely. Thank you for the information though.

Posted 9 years ago

edmenje

@whs: One of the instances where I had to use "take ownership" was to delete files on my USB stick and the copies placed on the HD from an autorun virus that invaded the device, something that Revo would not have done since it wasn't an installation, so I think it's good to have that tool available as well for just such instances. My antivirus identified the virus and neutralized it, but it did not remove the files.

@ dot51 that's about all I can think of, hopefully someone else has an idea of what else you could do at this point.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

edmenje, yes you are right. I have it standard in my right click menu. Last time I needed it was to rename a folder in the Win7 C: > Program Files when I replaced the Win7 sidebar folder with the Vista sidebar folder. I wanted my Vista sidebar back.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.