The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Computer Keeps Freezing

(74 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by 1337Alec
  • Latest reply from 1337Alec
  • Topic Viewed 9861 times

1337Alec

I built my computer a few months ago and now it randomly freezes. Sometimes for 5-10 minutes but other times a hard restart is required. I have disabled some programs from running when the computer boots up such as Skype and that fixed it for about a week but now it is doing it again. I have done full scans with Microsoft Security Essentials and updated all my drivers and software. I do not believe it is a graphics card issue because the sound kind of skips. For example if I was watching YouTube it would be like "Hello My Name iiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssss AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAlllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeecccccc".

Specs of My PC:

Nvidia GeForce 520
Intel Core i5 Processor
Gigabyte Brand Motherboard
D-Link Wireless Adapter
1TB HDD
4GB of Memory
Windows 7 Home Premium OS

I also have a very tight budget and I need a solution to this problem fast so I can do schoolwork.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

1337Alec,

Run this and report results from several places.
http://www.speedtest.net/

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Does it freeze up if you disable your wireless adapter?
Post your startup programs

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

It does not.

My Startup Programs:

Logitech Download Assistant
Microsoft Security Essentials
Google Update
Microsoft Windows Operating System
HDAudioCPL
Java Platform SE Auto Updater 2.0
Splashtop Connect
STC Agent

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Bump!

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Did you run the speed test Rick suggested ?

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Since it does not freeze if you disable your wireless adapter, try uninstalling your wireless adapter > reboot > then reinstall your wireless adapter.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

i dont think my wireless adapter

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

In startup Programs, Uncheck mark everything but these.

Microsoft Security Essentials
HDAudioCPL

Then Reboot.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

whisp0

I had the same problem for a couple of weeks.
My Sony vaio running on windows 7 would work fine for 10 to 20 mins then would lock up and display not responding.
This could be on any program I was using. If left alone for 5 to 10 mins all would return back to normal.
I tried system restore, uninstalling all recently added programs, virus and malware scans. Nothing.

Eventually I checked the (windows event viewer /administration log) which reported :error "windows antimalware"
This antimalware error is related to Micro soft security essentials.

I uninstalled Microsoft security essentials. And Bingo the problem solved.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I'm re installing microsoft security essentials because it is a free and very reliable antivirus software and I need it. Would I still have a problem after re installing instead of removing it?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Make sure you download the latest version.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Still having problems

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

MSE should not give you any problems at all. I use MSE in 7 on 3 machines (32 & 64bit) on home and business machines.

In settings apply 50% cpu time

It would appear that other problems are the cause.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Mine is always at 50% and I still have problems

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Did you try what raphoenix suggested on your startup?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Yes I unchecked everything except the essentials like the OS

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Please Help!!!

Posted 6 years ago

hArLtRoN

Try installing a different AV. avast! 7 Free Edition works well. I have it on my Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8 CP computers.

Posted 6 years ago

CompWiz

Have you tried running in SafeMode? And see if it freezes there?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I'm trying to boot into safemode right now. My computer was also freezing a lot today and I got an error after about the 4th freeze and it said something like ______GL has stopped working with another ______GL visit Nvidias website for more info?

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

This might be what the what your popup is. This is referring to the Graphics Library.
http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-opengl-specs
You might have a graphics problem.
Does your system freeze when you are looking at just text and not much graphics?

Posted 6 years ago

CompWiz

See if you get the same results in SafeMode,

You can also use event viewer to find out where and what error occured.

Start>right-click computer>manage>double click on event viewer(towards the left pane)>check under windows log, and aplications ans services.

There might be something there that can point out your issue.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

yes my computer even sometimes freezes when I am typing a reply to this post or reading something on reddit.

Posted 6 years ago

CompWiz

SafeMode?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

yes

Posted 6 years ago

CompWiz

Like germ-x pointed out, according to the error it seems like a video problem..do you know if you have a video card installed or if the video is onboard? Do you see other options for video in the back of your computer? Perhaps, we could try another video port.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I have tried multiple monitors hdmi and vga and both freeze

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Am I allowed to bump posts?

Posted 6 years ago

hArLtRoN

Yes you are aloud to bump posts.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I got the same error again just a few minutes ago when I was playing Team Fortress 2 and my computer froze

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

If it were me I would still be trying to figure out why the system is freezing before playing games. If you don't then one of these times it freezes you might not be able to boot up.
When did this start to freeze upon you?
What was the last software you installed before it started freezing up?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

This started about 2 months but it has gotten worse the more I use it and it doesn't mostly freeze on games anymore it freezes randomly and I mostly play games on my computer so it just happens at the same time.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

What is the EXACT Model Number of the Gigabyte Brand Motherboard ??

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

So it started shortly after you got your system up and running.
What if any driver updates have you installed?
Where did you load the GT520 graphics drivers from? Driver Cd that came with the motherboard or from Nvidia website.
After you loaded windows did you load all the drivers that came with your motherboard?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I built my computer in January and it started happening about a month ago actually and the exact model number I am unsure of because I no longer have the box. I used the drivers from Nvidias website because I figured I would not have to update them right away. I have not loaded all of the drivers but my system has been working fine for about 5 months after building my computer.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

1337Alec,

If you Built the machine yourself, you don't need the boxes to know Exactly what components are in the machine.

I think you need to be more Forth Right here to have good solutions offered.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

What drivers from your motherboard driver Cd did you load and what drivers didn't you load?
Some of the drivers are necessary, Windows will load some generic drivers but some of the generic drivers won't work well.

Posted 6 years ago

rdunseith

1337Alec,
Download Speccy from Piriform Website Make a screenshot of the main page:

It will list your motherboard model and revision.

Posted 6 years ago

ronniesonora

You might try going here. It will scan your system for the right drivers. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Bump!

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

This is your Motherboard ?
http://www.gigabyte.us/product.....id=3953#dl

Your Manual ?
http://www.gigabyte.us/product.....953#manual

Bios Update F7
http://www.gigabyte.us/product.....=3953#bios

MB Drivers
http://www.gigabyte.us/product.....953#driver

Video Card EVGA GeForce GT 520
http://www.evga.com/products/m.....s%20Family
Card is 2048 MB
*********You are showing 1024 MB in picture

NOT sure why your Video Card Specs Differ ????

The Video Card is running HOT plus the system could use more cooling.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I used msi afterburner to increase the fan speed from 40% to 85% always and it is still 66

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

yeah thats my motherboard

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I started using my other monitor today (VGA) and I haven't had my computer freeze at all for about 6 hours. It normally freezes on this monitor.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I have been using my other monitor since Wednesday and I have not had a freeze yet. Why is this? On my other monitor it freezes and the sound does too and I have headphones plugged directly into my computer. For my other monitor I am using a very small insignia tv using HDMI.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

What monitor were you using before? Maybe it was causing your video to overheat and causing the freezing problem. Check and make sure Windows hasn't switched to standard VGA drivers.
If it is still on the Nvidia drivers I would run it for a few more days and make sure it doesn't freeze. If still no freeze then swap the monitor again and see if it freezes.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

It still does freeze on the other monitor but when I switch back to the VGA one again it still doesn't freeze. I am letting my friend borrow my main monitor right now (Non VGA) so he can test the computer he built. I will not be able to try VGA on my other monitor on Monday. If it doesn't freeze on VGA how would I set it up so that it can play on HDMI? HDMI has better graphics quality.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I am using my main monitor again and it still freezes a lot even with VGA. I am using a very very small insignia TV for my monitor. My other monitor is a fairly low quality acer monitor similar to this one http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/co...../monitor-g but way smaller. I could not find my exact monitor. I really like using the TV because it is bigger with better picture quality.

Posted 6 years ago

CompWiz

So it is nothing associated with video? Still freezing no matter what you try?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

No. It freezes when I use the Insignia TV as my monitor but not when I use the acer monitor

Posted 6 years ago

CompWiz

Honestly, that is very odd..

Never heard such a thing..we'll see what the senior members have to say about it..

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

I don't think it is too odd. Most TVs do not come with drivers for their VGA connection. It is difficult to connect them and get the appropriate response. I'not surprised that there is an incompatibility between the TV and the computers Video card.

Change TVs, Monitors, Computers, or video cards. Get something that matches. There is no good reason to expect your video adapter to work with your TV. Just because it can be connected does not mean it will or should work.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Xhi is Correct.

Need NTSC or PAL capability Drivers.

Also Video Card is cheapest made. $48

Power Supply should at least provide 18 Amps on Each 12 Volt Rail so as to run any Video Card successfully.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

So what you're saying is that I need to find a driver for my TV?

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

That is what I am saying. But there may, or may not be one. Not all TVs and computers match up. As raphoenix points out you have a cheap video card. and it may just not be compatible.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Would lowering the resolution help? I have an Nvidia GeForce 520. Is it really that bad? Would upgrading my video card help?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Something like this PLUS Free Catalysis Software from AMD probably will handle your needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814102908

We can go Cheaper. :) :)

Post your Power Supply please.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

This is the power supply I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817171046 my video card requires 350w power supply so I thought this was good.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Alec,

+3.3V@20A, +5V@20A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, -12V@0.8A, 5VSB@2.5A (460W)

The power Supply is on the edge with (2) 12 Volt Rails @ 18 Amps each.

It should be OK with (1) Better Video Card.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Maybe Inexpensive Video Card Like this would suit your needs better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814150560

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814121442

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I brought my acer monitor over to my moms house (parents divorced) and now it freezes again. Its like there is a problem with the house that is making it freeze. I was able to play games on it all weekend without shutting it off and no.freezes but now it freezes 20 minutes after startup. I am using an adapter so I can plug my computer into the wall and the outlets are very old. Could this be the problem? Also had no problems the previous time I stayed at my dads house

Posted 6 years ago

rdunseith

What games are you playing when it crashes?

Edit: Are you in the UK?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I am in the US and it freezes randomly a lot but I normally play Team Fortress 2, League of Legends, and Minecraft. Those are the games that my computer has frozen during.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I am considering getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814150560 video card. I am just worried that it is not the video card freezing my computer. Could it be the processor?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

I also need some help getting my graphics card to cool down. I used MSI Afterburner to speed it up all the way and it still gets up to 69-71 degrees. Please Help!

Posted 6 years ago

jmeeks49

Alec,

My suggestion to you is to follow Rick's advice get a better video card. What i think is happening is your power supply is sending surges of power out to your video card causing it to freeze thus freezing up your monitor/tv. just my 2 cents worth.

John

Posted 6 years ago

rdunseith

Max operating temperature for your card is 102c. So your within the limits. Have you checked the fans on the card itself for dust accumulation?

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Ok. I am going to order the one I mentioned earlier.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

And then we discuss this software.

AMD Catalystâ„¢ Software Suite

http://support.amd.com/us/kbar.....Notes.aspx

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Do I need an ASUS Motherboard for this video card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814150560

Posted 6 years ago

ronniesonora

No, the one you have will work.

Posted 6 years ago

1337Alec

Ok thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.