The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Computer freezes when using scroll bar

(15 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by Alevic
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 6465 times

Alevic

I just built a new computer, but when i try to scroll with the scroll bar in Firefox the entire computer freezes and requires a hard reboot, so i assumed it was Firefox's problem and tried to Opera 10 beta and had the same result, I have no idea why it is doing this and have googled it and all the people with the same problem seem to have an AMD processor like me. Does anyone have any ideas that i could try to fix this problem? Thanks in advance.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 4800+ 2.5Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Windows XP pro SP3
Geforce 8600GT 512MB
Can't find the exact motherboard details...

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Hi Alevic. Does this happen when you scroll with mouse wheel or arrow keys, as well as the scroll bar ?
Does it happen in other, non browser, programs ?

Posted 11 years ago

Beauseph

I noticed if anybody google's their issue, about a 1,000 people had the same issue.. Out of billions of people that's not a bad ratio! haha, :)

Posted 11 years ago

Alevic

This only happens when i use the scroll bar itself, the scroll wheel and arrow keys don't affect it.
It doesn't freeze in windows explorer, I'm not sure what other programs to test it with though.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Try a big file in Notepad for example.

Posted 11 years ago

Alevic

Nope, notepad doesn't seem to trigger it either, just Firefox and Opera it seems, I've looked at my cpu temps and its floating around 25 degrees (Celsius) so it isn't a thermal problem.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

How about in Internet Explorer ?

Posted 11 years ago

Alevic

Internet explorer doesn't affect it, it seems to run fine but as soon as i use another browser the scroll bar plays up.
Thanks for the help :)

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Could you try this browser please,
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

I am trying to put a connection together in my mind.

Posted 11 years ago

Alevic

Nope, no freezing, I wil have to continue trying tommorrow though, i have to be off now, thanks for your help so far, post anything you think i should try though.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

Do you have any add-ons or toolbars in both FF and Opera that crossmatch ?

Posted 11 years ago

Alevic

No, Firefox had one addon, AdBlock plus running and Opera was the default install, I couldn't find anything that links the two in that sense.

Posted 11 years ago

LH

I have just discovered something interesting on my machine.
Scrolling with the mouse wheel, the CPU usage goes up just a little,
Using the scrollbar in IE7, it goes up a bit more,
Using the scrollbar in FF3.5, it goes nearly to maximum.

So it looks like your problem is caused by the program code itself.

Edit. Try this,
MozillaZine Knowledge Base wrote:Hyperthreading
Disable Hyperthreading support for Firefox in Windows 2000 and XP. Right click the Firefox shortcut → Properties → Compatibility → Check "Run this program in compatibility mode" → Select "Windows 98/Windows ME" → OK.

Posted 11 years ago

Alevic

Thank you! Your instructions worked! I had to change it to compatibility mode for windows 2000, because firefox had critical errors every time I tried to open it in Windows 98/Windows ME mode, but Windows 2000 mode has solved the problem! Thank you very much for your help!

Posted 11 years ago

LH

I am glad that worked. If it hadn't, I was all out of ideas :)

Posted 11 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.