The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Computer booting to BIOS

(20 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by BiggRobb
  • Latest reply from Mritsurgeon
  • Topic Viewed 3753 times

BiggRobb

My computer boots to the BIOS every time I turn it on. How do I get it to boot directly to the Windows7 login screen instead of the BIOS?

Posted 9 years ago

Veegertx

are you sure the 1 key that enters bios is not stuck? I have had that happen before with a stuck key
Look through bios and make sure it see the drive and make sure it is set to boot it first

Posted 9 years ago

BiggRobb

No, the key isn't stuck but I will check to see if your other suggestion is the problem and let you know.

Posted 9 years ago

Xhi

That's weird. I have never known a computer to boot to the BIOS Setup screen automatically when you turn it on. Is that what you mean, the BIOS Setup screen? Or are you possibly referring to Safe Mode?

Posted 9 years ago

ispalten

This is because of one of two possible reasons :

1) The computer battery is weak and you are losing BIOS settings. Usually DATA FIRST but there could be others.

2) ALL the BOOT DEVICES can't be found.

In either case you should see some 'warning' why the computer is going into BIOS? Which BIOS screen opens up, that might give a clue too, such as the data screen (which should be wrong) or the BOOT ORDER screen.

Irv S.

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

Oh goodness, a very common issue.

A computer can Boot into Bios if any of 100 or so Bios Settings are OUT of boot parameter.

Examples:

CPU Clock, Memory Timings, Voltage Settings, Devices, Etc, Etc......

This is one way US Over-Clockers know when we can't go any farther; the machine just keeps booting
into Bios Setup Screen. (LOL) (LOL)

Also, If the CMOS Battery is weak and not holding the presets After Bios Setup, the machine will boot
to the Bios on every Cold Boot. (LOL)

NOTE: CMOS 2032 Battery should be replaced Yearly. :) :)

Obvious OP is is not a Builder.

Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

BiggRobb

No Xhi, its the BIOS and not safe mode, bucause it tells me to press F1 and I get the login screen or press Esc and it goes into the BIOS settings.

Posted 9 years ago

Xhi

What does it tell you to press F1 for??

Posted 9 years ago

minigeek

Are there any other messages above the text that tells you to press F1?

I've got this problem on one of my old machines, and I think that it's related to the CMOS battery.

Edit: Looks like Xhi beat me to it!

MiniGeek

Posted 9 years ago

ispalten

F1 is presented when the BIOS has a problem with the setting, either the data is back to the ship date (battery 'dead') or something has changed. When something has changed (specified h/w not present, like a drive or RAM) the BIOS will open to that specific page.

What page did it open too...

Another slim possibility is an error occurring, like you hitting the keyboard or a stuck key or USB device. There is a BIOS setting to not REPORT boot errors. If this is the case you can reset it, but if a 'real' error were to happen, you wouldn't be notified.

Irv S.

Posted 9 years ago

BiggRobb

Veegetx, I looked to see if it sees the hard drive and it goes to that one first.

Posted 9 years ago

Xhi

For a start, pop the battery and go to your local store that sells watch batteries and buy a replacement. If that fixes it then it was a cheap fix. If not it was a cheap test.

Posted 9 years ago

ispalten

Check the BOOT ORDER on that page as well. Is the hard drive specified correctly?

Irv S.

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

@Xhi,

Interesting that my answer above was ignored except by only you.

Thanks for the backup.

Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

Mritsurgeon

I agree with Xhi & raphoenix. CMOS battery is probably flat and the bios cannot keep it's settings . Bios resets every time the pc resets .

Edit: It was originally rick's idea. add him -- GMod

Posted 9 years ago

ispalten

Doubt the battery in this case. Usually the first hint would be the loss of date and time. Then followed by h/w seen as new as the old settings were lost. However, a check on the first page of the BIOS that shows the data and time, if correct would rule out the battery. I've had them go 'weak' and the first thing that is lost is the time, and if left a month or so without replacing the battery, then all the settings are lost.

Irv S.

Posted 9 years ago

Xhi

But it can not hurt!!!! And very easily eliminates what could be a problem.

Posted 9 years ago

Mritsurgeon

Agreed rather eliminate the battery , then skip it & try multiple solutions & then it ends up to be the battery

http://paulw.wrytestuff.com/swa440828.htm. <-----------------as a joke , not calling any1 stupid

Posted 9 years ago

Veegertx

We replaced batteries after 20 years at work on old machines. They were still working and holding everything but we talking 386 processors. I just noticed original battery so went through and done them all. Batteries can go out like anything else is made cheap these days.
But it should lose date if it very low as Irv said

Mritsurgeon,
Most the time we don't have a working model to test parts in so process of pulling 1 part till you find what keeps it from booting.

cr2032 - "The shelf life of these batteries is about 10 years."

Posted 9 years ago

Mritsurgeon

@veergetex u have a point

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.