The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Compatibility mode XP SP2 HELP!

(9 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Traconian
  • Latest reply from arpetterborg
  • Topic Viewed 8789 times

Traconian

I've been trying to open a program (opencanvas 1.1) which doesn't work in any other compatibility mode...and I stumble upon the answer only to find out I don't have compatibility mode Windows XP (Service pack 2)!!! HELP!!!

Posted 10 years ago

raphoenix

Traconian,

Sorry but I don't understand your question.

Applications can be run in compatibility mode for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0 (SP5), Windows 2000, Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 (SP1).

Right click the setup application or executable (*.exe) and then select Properties. Choose the Compatibility tab, check the box in the Compatibility area next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then select the operating system that you used to run the application in.

(Disclaimer)
Of course there are some older Apps that are coded such that they can only be be run on the O/S and hardware they were created for like ones that use exclusive, proprietary VXD files and such. I have run across some that will just not run but they are mostly oddly programed or are very old.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 10 years ago

Traconian

My computer doesn't have the compatibility mode Windows XP (Service pack 2) which is what I need to run the program....is there any way I will be able to get it? Download it from some site?....I'm confused and just want to use the program.
And I have tried all other modes that are available and none of them work...

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

That is odd. I have the "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" option on my Vista machine. I don't know what could cause it to disappear.
So your list then is just:
Windows 95
Windows 98 / Windows Me
Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)
Windows 2000
Windows Server 2003 (Service Pack 1)
?

Posted 10 years ago

Traconian

no the list is much shorter than that even...
http://s83.photobucket.com/alb.....screen.jpg
here's a screenshot...hope that helps :(

Posted 10 years ago

Antman

That's because you're using XP. Why would XP include compatibility for XP? Do you mean you have SP3 and you want compatibility for SP2 or something? I think the original thing you read was aimed at Vista users. XP doesn't include compatibility mode for itself, because it already is it.

Posted 10 years ago

Traconian

I am a vista user antman that's the problem -.-
I do not use XP...I am using Vista

Posted 10 years ago

Antman

Sorry, your screen grab has got Windows XP written all over it. Have you got an XP theme running on Vista? Because your Firefox browser window has XP buttons at the top right. Looks just like the silver XP theme.

This is what the Vista compatibilty mode looks like:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/b63ee19718203&gt

Your screengrab has the little question mark at the top right of the compatibility mode option window, just like on XP.

Posted 10 years ago

arpetterborg

Yeah--I think y'all are misunderstanding. I put up an image to prove it:I use Windows XP x64 as is easily seen. XP x64 does indeed have an XP (x86) compatibility mode. The problem the user is facing is that he/she doesn't have the compatibility mode up to SP2. It would have been nice if the original post stated the XP x64 differentiation! I am particularly frustrated because I conceded to install XP on a separate partition from Linux so that I could run the few silly programs that don't have a superior replacement in Linux, such as Netflix's Silverlight connection, the Fable video game, and some GIS apps from ESRI. That said, I install x64 and find that there are still compatibility problems! I need the extra performance boost (and notice it) of 64-bit computing, even if I don't need to break the 4 GB RAM barrier. Really, what both of us are looking for is for our _compatibility mode_ in 32-bit to be upgraded to SP2. In my case, LiveScribe won't work without it. It is really, really silly. So, I ask again, does anybody know how to upgrade the compatibility mode?

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.