The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

command prompt: stupid geek tricks

(27 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Dcw329
  • Latest reply from jmr
  • Topic Viewed 13022 times

Dcw329

im kinda new to the command prompt (i just never use/needed it)... so i thought it would be cool to start a thread about cool tricks you can do with it... one of the tricks i found was winsat

'winsat aurora'
'winsat d3d ___'

if you have anything cool that you can do with the command prompt, post it... we can all share our tricks, and check out new ones...

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

well i'm not really sure that there really are many cmd tricks persay because the one you posted just starts the graphics engine thing in vista but the only one that i know of is how you can watch star wars in the cmd prompt i think there was a thread on it somewhere in the forums.

i guess another one that i know of is how when i was in high school we used to ping the blocked websites to get their ip's and the school only blocked the addresses and not the ip's so we could get to the blocked site from school but it's not really a trick though lol

this topic could be fun though :D

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Dcw329,
You are right !! Your Topic is Cool !!!
I keep forgetting that about half (just a pure guess) of our group never (had) to run computers in a command type of environment (Dos and Older).
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i am currently learning the terminal in linux because to do certain things i just have to know it :D

@rick well i kinda know some cmd but i have never used a full dos system before though lol i've always wanted to try it though :)

Posted 8 years ago

Dcw329

i saw the starwars cmd somewere... it wasnt in the cmd though... it was on a website... but it would be cool to figure out how to get it into the command prompt...

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

Dcw329

for the starwars in the command prompt, open it up, and type the commands below.

'telnet' enter
'o' enter
'towel.blinkinlights.no' enter

that is awesome... and its sooo long...

if it gives you something like "invalid command", then go to >control panel>uninstall a program>(on the left) turn windows geatures on or off> (checkmark) telnet client>(checkmark) telnet server>

then wait for it to finish... and go to the command prompt and enter the commands above again

Posted 8 years ago

Dcw329

'telnet ascii-wm.net 2006'

and inside of a fresh command promt (not the already used starwars one) type that ^^^

it will give you (what i beleive is) a soccer game. but you realy have to focus to see it.

i got that one from jack7h3r1pp3r under the link he provided

the farther away you are (within reason), the better and clearer... if your realy close it just looks like ooO0opy0... but if you back up, it looks like a game... dont sit right next to the screen.

Posted 8 years ago

BobJam

Hey Rick,

Remember DOS 1.0 and 8" floppies??

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Bob,

Sure do. (LOL)
EDIT: Actual I think MS Dos was really Qdos which MS bought and branded to sell to IBM for first IBM PC if memory serves me?
I have MS true floppy copies of Dos 6.23 or last version published in vault.
Remember Basic ??
As late as 1993, did a manufacturing machine simulation program which took (2) hours to run and gave maximum amount of key combinations an automotive lock manufacturer could make using their equipment without a duplication.
Used logic statements to replace machine functions.
===================
Here is one for all.

Remember learning how to program a serial port mouse ?? (LOL) (LOL)
===================
Kindest Regards,

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i still have a serial mouse that i use LOL :D i don't remember ever programing one though :)

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@Jack,

I'm trying to find older mouse than probably what you had documentation in my (junk) room.
If I can find it, I'll throw up a pic.
Spouse is getting tired of my "junk" room since before 1976 so probably will not find much (LOL).
Kindest Regards,

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok lol :D i have a ton of old stuff too but you probs have more of even older stuff hehe :)

i have a pII system running on my network right now with a 12GB hdd and kubuntu on it but i have older things in my basement though like i think i have one with a 400MB hdd in it? i think its running windows 95 but haven't used that one in a while though but i may take it out and run dsl (damn small linux) on it some time though hehe

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Jack,

You got to "Crank Up" the way back machine.
Z80 - That turned the boss's head in the engineering department.
Commodore 64 - Talk about wide screen TV (LOL) (LOL)
IBM PC with Dual Floppies - WOW !!!!
IBM 20 Meg HD, now that was pure awesome.
When I built my first Dual 100 Meg HD machine, I had real "bragging rights" - World Class. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL).
Just loved the loud hum and clicking - it was "heaven come to earth" - Ran with no covers so everyone would notice !!
Kindest Regards,

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i know but i wasn't even born then most likely and my dad is every thing but a geek so thats the oldest one we have lol i wish i was around then and could have seen those beasts lool :D

Posted 8 years ago

BobJam

This is getting to be a real trip down memory lane.

Radio Shack TRS-80??

My first PC was an IBM clone back in 1986, with a 20MB HDD, and 512K (Yes, 512 KILOBYTES) RAM, an 8086 4 MHz CPU ("Turbo" mode threw it into 8MHz), and DOS 3.0 . . . I think that was the one you were referring to Rick as "pure awesome". I actually did some programming on it in Basic (not anything sophisticated by today's standards). Then came 286 processors, then 386 processors, and you could get them with a separate math coprocessor.

QBasic came along there somewhere. And then Windows 3.1, the first GUI (well . . . not the first . . . I think there were Windows iterations before that, but they were very unstable. 3.1 for Workgroups was the first iteration that achieved any widespread use).

And Zenith I think it was had achieved a GUI first, that Apple later "pirated".

Speaking of 1976, Rick, I think that was when Apple came out with a rudimentary "personal computer", just a keyboard I think. And in 1976 I was doing graduate research in physical chemistry with a PDP-12 computer in Assembly language.

Fast forward . . . in 1988 I had a Zenith 286 laptop . . . that thing weighed a ton.

That was all command line stuff. I still have my 8086 machine stashed in the junk room that we all have . . . plus a book on DOS commands. I think I paid over $1200 dollars for it. Has a monochrome "12 amber monitor. The big thing then was color monitors.

I think before QDOS there was CPM, which was the predecessor to DOS.

Yes, I remember those machines with dual floppies. As I recall, they had NO HDD, and you had to constantly swap out one of the floppies when you needed a command that wasn't on the one in there.

Fortran??? Cobol??

When that Y2K faux crisis happened, a lot of institutions had to hire retired Fortran and Cobol programmers because their data and programs had been coded in those old languages. Some retired guys came out of retirement for a pretty hefty wage.

Wow . . . there's more, but right now my memory banks are overloaded. Rick . . . ?

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Now, some would call me a packrat -- my wife, for instance -- but I consider myself a collector of tech history. After digging around in my junk room, I was able to put together the picture below which shows the evolution of portable data storage media. You have to click on it to see the image full size because it's too big to embed in the forum.

From left to right and top to bottom:
1) 8" floppy -- when floppies were really floppy (bendable). These started at 1.5 Mbits on up to 1.2 MBytes for the 5 1/4" (not shown)
2) 3.5" floppy -- with a rigid shell they were no longer "floppy". Formatted capacity from 720 KB to 2.88 MB on PCs
3) Zip disk -- Iomega had the most popular of the "super floppy" drives. They used optical tracking. 100 MB up to 250 MB
4) Compact disc -- everyone knows CD and DVD, no other optical media could compete. 750 MB (CD) to 8.5 GB (DVD DL)
5) Flash media -- Compact Flash, Secure Digital, USB Flash Drive and others not shown. Wide range of storage, 16 GB UFD
6) Mini-HD -- PMPs like my Zen Vision:M (30 - 60 GB) with color OLED display plays music and video, stores data.

Posted 8 years ago

BobJam

ScottW,

I noticed you don't have an LS-120 disk shown. For a brief time, they were the rage. I think Sony made them. I have a WinBook vintage 1996 equipped with an LS-120 drive, but I don't think they make them anymore. Evdently it was a flash in the pan and they went the way of the Do-Do.

Posted 8 years ago

Dcw329

wow... we got off topic fast... lol

we need a HTG chatroom, so that we can just talk about the random trips down memory lane

Posted 8 years ago

BobJam

OK . . . back on topic with DOS Command tricks. Take a look at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Posted 8 years ago

Dcw329

cool link bob... only one problem... you need to weed threw it and give us the cool stuff... thats the point of the thread.. anyone can google it...

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@ScottW & BOB,

Now the "Way back Machine" is really cranking !!!!
LOVE the "8 inch" Floppy.
Both you Guys are "Spot On" and ACCURATE !!!!
Remember it all .........
Maybe the "Junk Room" should replace the "My Build" Topic ???? (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)
Guess we need to get back on his Topic if (Dcw329) wants us to ??

Kindest Regards,

Posted 8 years ago

jd2066

> And Zenith I think it was had achieved a GUI first, that Apple later "pirated".
It was Xerox that did the GUI and other things like the mouse first, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_PARC

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@jd2066,

Now that's putting some "meat" on the bones.

The machine has got to go a bit further back to the "60s" and then I'll have to "default" out. (LOL) (LOL) (LOL)

Kindest Regards,

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

oh boy did this one get off topic fast lool :D

but back to the cmd:

sudo apt-get install {app here}

exit

Posted 8 years ago

BobJam

So that this thing doesn't get hijacked any more than it already has, I've started a seperate thread in the Off-Topic forum titled "Way back machine . . . or 'way back machines' " at https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/way-back-machine-or-way-back-machines?replies=1#post-48428 .

Posted 8 years ago

jmr

The Star Wars thing is actually 'telnet' enter 'o' enter 'towel.blinkenlights.nl' enter.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.