The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Code 57

(51 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by Kanna
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 12659 times

Kanna

When trying to install Microsoft .Net 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .Net Framework 3.5 Family Update x86 through Windows update and I get the code 57 error message everytime. I tried to manually install 3.0 and activate 3.0 from the turn on and off features that as it tells me to when setup didn't work but it doesn't work either. I tried installing 3.5 on its own but it gets an error halfway through and uninstall everything that it has installed before it got to that error. Help would really be appreciated.

Posted 10 years ago

jal

Have you tried installing in Safe Mode

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Just tried it in safe mode same error message came up.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Kanna, hello. I don't recognize "code 57". Is there more to it? Can you show us what it looks like? Microsoft has a KB article for general troubleshooting of Windows Update problems:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Hi I just took a screen shot of the error message that comes up each time. Every other update seems to install fine.
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/773/17560879.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7657/dssl.jpg

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Sorry to bump the thread but i just tried installing 3.5 SP1 manually and it came up with this error log as to why it did not install.

[03/03/09,18:43:48] Optional Component 'Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0': [2] Error code 87 for this component means "The parameter is incorrect.
"
[03/03/09,18:43:49] Optional Component 'Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0': [2] Setup Failed on component Optional Component 'Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0'
[03/03/09,18:44:34] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Optional Component 'Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0' is not installed.

But i know that 3.0 is installed it just is not turned on as i found that when i tried to install 3.0. Any thoughts?

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Kanna, when you look in Progams and Features, do you see any .NET entries? I have "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1". Also check "View Installed Updates". In there I have 2 HotFixes for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Next, check in "Turn Windows features on or off". Here is mine with the .NET 3 part expanded:

Finally, to see what versions are registered, put the following in your IE location bar: javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent)
Below is the result that I get. Note the .NET CLR ### entries which give versions detected:

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

I had a update for 2.0 about a year ago but nothing since. Nothing comes up in Internet Explorer when i tried javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent) but it works in firefox.

This was from the program and features.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

You have Vista and .NET 3 is included. But, as you said before, it is turned off. Is there a reason that you left it off?

I suggest that you use "Turn Windows features on or off" to turn .NET 3 back on. Then try the javascript:alert(navigator.userAgent) function again and see what it says. Maybe if .NET 3 is on, you can get the 3.5 update from Windows Update. At least you will have access to any .NET functionality that you need.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

It was turned already off when i got it. I have tried turning it on before but it coming up with a message stating that the feature(s) could not be configured.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Let's try the System File Checker. From an elevated command prompt, enter:

sfc /scannow

This command checks for missing or corrupted system files. If it runs clean, with no errors, we learn nothing. If it finds missing or corrupted files, it will try to replace them with good copies and maybe fix your problem. Either way, it does no harm.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Sorry didnt reply till now had to get up early for college. I've done the scan and it came up with "Found corrupt files but unable to fix some of them" and it told me to go to the "C:Windows, Logs, CBS.logs but it will not allow me to view the logs to see what files are still corrupted. It comes up with "Access Denied"

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Follow the instructions in this KB article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

These instructions will extract the important data from CBS.log so we can see which files it found corrupted.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Ive just followed the instructions but it thats not working. it either came saying it could not open the file or it just went to the next line. I am running as admin.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Kanna, I would like to see the commands that you run and the output, including error messages. In the Command Prompt window, you can right-click to get a sub-menu. To capture text, select Edit -> Mark from the sub-menu, then highlight text with the mouse, then press Enter. This puts that text in the clipboard and you can paste it here with Ctrl-V.

Try these commands and copy the output in a new post:

net user %USERNAME%
icacls C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

this is the first one

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /C:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[sr]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32>findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetail.txt

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log>sfcdetails.txt
FINDSTR: Cannot open %windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log>sfcdetails.txt

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log >SFCdetails.txt

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%logs\cbs\cbs.log >SFCdetails.txt
FINDSTR: Cannot open C:\Windowslogs\cbs\cbs.log

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
FINDSTR: Cannot open C:\Windowslogs\cbs\cbs.log

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> net user %username%
User name Laura
Full Name
Comment
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

Password last set 24/01/2009 15:02:06
Password expires Never
Password changeable 24/01/2009 15:02:06
Password required No
User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 04/03/2009 13:53:53

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators
Global Group memberships *None
The command completed successfully.

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> icacls c:\Windows\logs\CBS\cbs.log
c:\Windows\logs\CBS\cbs.log NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE:(R,W,D)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(R,W)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

The error message above is because of a syntax error. The %windir% variable requires 2 percent signs. You actually have it correctly the first 3 times. The reason that it returns to the command line with no response is that the ">sfcdetails.txt" portion of the command directs the output into a new file. You should be able to view the contents of this file like this:

notepad c:\windows\system32\sfcdetails.txt

The contents of this file are too long to post here in the forum, so please copy the contents (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste them at the following URL:
http://htg.pastebin.com/

Paste the text in the big white box (Ctrl-V) and put a name in the little "Your Name" box so we know that it's your data. When you click the Send button, it will give you a new URL with location of the data which you can copy to a post in this thread. Or, just let me know it's there and I'll go take a look.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

http://htg.pastebin.com/m27f99eaf

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

OK, we have the name of the corrupted file, WUDFHost.exe, a very important file.

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"WUDFHost.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode, Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

It seems that the backup copy is also corrupted.

Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:24{12}]"WUDFHost.exe"; source file in store is also corrupted

Let's see if you have this file. Go to Start and in the "Start Search" box, type "wudfhost.exe". You should see an exact match under Programs. Right-click on it and select Properties. On the General tab, check the Location which should be C:\Windows\System32. On the Details tab, tell me what you see for File Version, Size, and Date Modified.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Size: 139kb
Modified: 19 January 2008 07:33
Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Those numbers look correct. Let's try one more verification with a hash. I want to compare my wudfhost.exe with yours and this will tell us if they match exactly. Get the hash tool from this link:
http://keir.net/hash.html

It's a zip file which you open and extract the hash.exe file from. You can even run it from the zip file because there is no installer. Click the Browse button and put in C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe which you can navigate to or type in the file box. Once it is done calculating the hash values, click the Copy button and paste the results here in a new post. I will check the hash values against the file I have which should be the same as yours.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

File: C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe
Size: 142336 bytes
File Version: 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Modified: 19 January 2008, 07:33:40
MD5: 5E76AE4042A90530B75D3106D62D6858
SHA1: CD6A5D2643113498E21495978B5DBF3EC6E51933
CRC32: 63CC3474

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

The file size matches, the file versions match, but the hashes don't match. This explains why yours is considered corrupted and mine passes the sfc check.

Modified: Saturday, January 19, 2008, 1:33:40
MD5: 09C7859269563C240AB2AAAB574483DD
SHA1: FE0C5238646767690E89BC9BABCE288992755F2E
CRC32: 857C9A8A

Now, we need to get you another copy of this file. Do you have another computer or know of one with the same level of Vista? You need to get a good copy of wudfhost.exe to replace the bad one that you have.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Yes there is. Do i copy and paste the file from the other computer to mine? or is it something else to it?

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Get a copy of the new file. Run the hash.exe program on it and check the numbers. I expect it to match mine, but let's see.

Make a backup copy of the wudfhost.exe file that you do have, just in case. Then delete that one. Finally, copy the new one in it's place, restart Windows, then run the sfc /scannow command again.

Windows might complain when you try to delete the old file. I'll run some experiments here and see if I can figure out the best way to overcome any resistance.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

From the other computer .the numbers looks like yours
Modified: 19 January 2008, 07:33:40

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Do i need to replace the application extensions of the WUDFHost file?

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

What "application extensions" are we talking about? Is this something that Windows is asking you? If so, I would say to answer yes.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Windows is not asking me to but it will not allow me to delete WUDFHost.exe even with admin access

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Right, that file is being protected by the system because it's an important file. I did those experiments that I mentioned above and have instructions for you on how to delete the bad file. You will need to boot into Safe Mode to delete a system file. They are very well protected!

Here are the instructions to run in safe mode. You might want to save these off to a text file with Notepad, for example. That way you won't have to launch a browser to get to them. Also, to get the commands exactly right, you can copy and paste them into the Command Window. Right-click on the command window and select "Paste" once they are in the clipboard. Now here are the commands to run:

icacls c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe /save wudfhost-acl
takeown /F c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe /A
icacls c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe /grant Administrators:(F)
del c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe

If you get any errors, copy the text of the command and error message and post them here. You can use Notepad to save that data to a text file as well.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Here is a transcript of me running those commands on my system. This way, you can see which ones display output and which don't. Also, you will see what the "normal" output should be.

C:\>icacls c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe /save wudfhost-acl
processed file: c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe
C:\>
C:\>takeown /F c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe /A
SUCCESS: The file (or folder): "c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe" now owned by t
he administrators group.
C:\>icacls c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe /grant Administrators:(F)
processed file: c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe
C:\>del c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe

Once this is done, you can boot back into Windows, normally, and copy the good version of WUDFHost.exe to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

The Good copy is in the system32 folder but SFC scan is still saying it is still corrupted. It is running now as it was not before. I got the same output that you had...
http://htg.pastebin.com/mcb6411e

Modified: 19 January 2008, 07:33:42

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Oh, poo!! I thought we had this problem licked. :-(

I don't think that this command will matter, but for the sake of completeness, please run this:

icacls . /restore wudfhost-acl
icacls c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe

I would like to see the output of these commands so please copy them with right-click -> Mark -> (highlight with mouse) -> Enter, then paste the output here.

EDIT: did you restart Windows after copying in the new file? I don't know if it will help, either, but it's also worth a try.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

I know i felt like banging my head against something. I did restart after copying the file .

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32>icacls . /restore wudfhost-acl
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 0 files

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32>icacls c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe
c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
BUILTIN\Users:(I)(RX)

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Something isn't right. Those last two commands did not work as expected. The first one should have processed 1 file, whether success or fail, or thrown an error message. Processed 0 files doesn't make sense. The second command is showing ACLs that look like they belong to a folder, not a file.

Can you check on this, please, in Explorer? Go to C:\Windows\System32 and find that WUDFHost file. Make sure that it still says "Application" in the type column. Make sure that it's not a folder.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

it says application and the acl is just called a file

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

I have just done the command again and this came up

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32> icacls . /restore wudfhost-acl
processed file: .\wudfhost.exe

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32>icacls c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe
c:\windows\system32\wudfhost.exe NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(F)
BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)
BUILTIN\Users:(RX)

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

That looks better. It's the kind of output I was expecting. However, if SFC doesn't recognize this new file as the right one, I'm at a loss.

Your original problem was the failed install of the .NET 3.5 from Windows Update. I don't think that a problem with WUDFHost.exe should prevent that from updating, but it could be. It's time to try a different strategy, but I can't think of one.

Do you have all of the other Vista updates from Windows Update? Have you tried rolling back your system to an earlier restore point? You might at least be able to get .NET 3 working again.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

All other updates for Vista from Windows Update are installing fine. It is juat this one. I tried using System Restore but an error message comes up saying not all features could be restored. But I'm not sure if you can go back over a year ago. WUDFHost works now but only when a USB stick is used. Do you think it would work if the extensions that the WUDFHost uses are replaced with a new copy like the main application?

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Those files are DLLs, note the .dll in the filename, and are also protected by Windows File Protection (WFP). The SFC /scannow would complain if any of those were corrupted or the wrong version.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

Worth a shot i suppose. I guess the other option would be to reformatt the laptop which i really do not want to do. Thank you for the help though. One last question if the laptop get reformatted and the hard drive is spilt into two parts would only the partition with the Operating system get formmated or both parts ?

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

I was searching around for another strategy, and found that there are other people who have the same root problem that you do. See this thread at Microsoft's forums:
http://social.technet.microsof.....78/#page:1

I feel a little better about my diagnostic technique knowing that MS Support doesn't have a silver bullet solution for this issue, but that doesn't help you. Reading through that thread, there seem to be a number of *possible* causes none of which are confirmed. However, IIS, .NET 1 (aka ASP.NET), and language packs are all implicated as possibles. You should read through there and see if it rings any bells about software or languages you have, or had, installed. Maybe there is hope for a cure.

To answer your question, if you have two partitions, C: and D: for example, only the C: partition would need to be reformatted to reinstall a fresh copy of Vista. However, if there are programs installed on D:, with data or registry entries stored on C:, those linkages would be lost. You could also try an in-place install which doesn't require formatting. Someone in that other thread tried this, I believe.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

I only have Applocale installed. My Laptop never came with a installation DVD. I had to burn the image on a disk. There is an option "Repair your computer" when picking what mode to start Windows. Is it worth trying that?

Edit: I'm making a recovery disk in theory it should repair any damaged files that it finds?

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

I'm not familiar with Applocale, but I looked it up and I don't see a version for Vista. Where did you get it from? Did it say it was Vista compatible?

The option "Repair Your Computer" on the Advanced Boot Options menu will take you to Windows Recovery Environment (RE) which can be used to recover when your system won't boot, run some diagnostics, and do a System Restore outside of the normal Windows boot environment. You could try the System Restore from there.

I don't know what it means to make a "recovery disk". Where did you find it? I expect that any disc that you can make will only allow you to boot into Windows RE from the CD/DVD drive instead of from the hard drive. I'm not aware of any repair disc or recovery disc that can repair damaged files.

Finally, regarding the in-place install, I'm not sure of the exact terminology but geekgirls.com has instructions on how to do a custom install which moves the old OS files to a Windows.old folder and installs a new copy without formatting. They call it a "clean lite" install.
http://geekgirls.com/vista_sup.....lation.htm

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

I found about a recovery disk from here
http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....-disc.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....vista.html

I found out about Applocale digital life because i tried to install a game that needed applocale or something similar. I could try uninstalling it though to see if it helps.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....ows-vista/

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Yes, that's what I thought it was. The Geek has an article on the "Repair" Disc from neosmart.com and it's the same one referenced in the article from vistax64.com as a "Recovery" Disc. However you go about getting it, it just lets you boot to Windows RE from a CD/DVD drive. Not everyone has the "Repair Your Computer" option in the Advanced Boot menu.

The article on a Repair Install says that you need an Install or Upgrade DVD and that a Factory Restore disc that comes with a system won't do the job, except perhaps after a slipstream operation.

I see that article from mydigitallife.info is a "workaround" to install AppLocale in Vista. In other words, it's a way to install something that isn't meant to be installed. Given the other evidence that we have relating to language (or localization) contributing to this problem, you should definitely try to uninstall AppLocale.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

I might try a Inplace Install but i'm not sure how to go about it? I have found two threads about it but it only got to reparing Vista with a OEM disk which i do not have. Was there any more threads about it that was successful ?
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/install-vista-in-place?replies=11
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/install-vista-in-place-1?replies=2#post-62072

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Try searching on "repair install" and "windows.old" and you will get a few more hits. However, I don't recall a good write-up of the process around here. The link that you have to vistax64.com looks like a good one. You will still need that Vista install disc. Since you didn't get one with your system, you could try contacting the manufacturer or check their website. Some of them will send you a real Vista install disc and others will not.

One other thing that I noticed in that thread at Microsoft's forum is that several people mentioned logs in the Event Viewer that related to their problems. You could look there for clues.

Posted 10 years ago

Kanna

ScottW I took the easy way out I reformatted the hard drive. On the plus side everything works including the .Net 3.5 SP1 and i'm going to get onto Acer about a installation disk for Vista or something similar just in case something like this happens again. Thank you for all help over the last couple of weeks.

Posted 10 years ago

ScottW

Kanna, good choice. A clean install would always be my preference over a repair install. I'm glad your system is working well and you are welcome for the help.

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.