The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Changing partition from Primary to Logical

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by apex2000
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1463 times

apex2000

I have three SATA hard drives on Win 7 Ultimate which are partitioned as follows:

Disk0: C:\ 48.73GB; F:\ 48.83GB; G:\ 833.86GB

Disk1: D:\ 113.71GB; H:\ 119.17GB

Disk2: E:\ 232.89GB

The following disk partitions are currently 'Primary': C:\; D:\; H:\; and E:\

The following disk partitions are currently 'Logical': F:\ and G:\

I would like to change partitions D:\, H:\ and E:\ from 'Primary' to 'Logical' using Paragon Partition Manager 11 Personal.

My fear and question is: If I do as stated above, will there be any data loss in the changeover process?

I have looked everywhere but cannot find a simple, direct 'Yes' or 'No' answer to this question. I hope someone can help, please.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

There is no data loss. But depending what those partitios are, you may run into trouble. Certain partitions have to be primary in order to function - e.g. the recovery partition. Suggest that you post a full picture of your disk management and I will have a look.

And why do you want to change the setup anyhow. As far as I can tell, you have no more than 3 primaries per drive. So you can create additional extended partitions without the dynamics problem.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Yep, am curious why you want to change to Logical drives !

Posted 7 years ago

apex2000

Thanks very much for your replies. The reason for wanting to change the partitions from primary to logical is just to experiment. I read somewhere that it is only necessary for the system to have one primary partition - the boot partition C:\ - and that all other partitions can be logical. Therefore, I thought, 'Why not try changing drives D:\, H:\, and E:\ to logical?'

Hopefully, there is an image above that shows a screenshot of the disk management page for my system.

Look forward to your further advice/comments.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

In principle you are right. Only the active partition and the recovery partition (which you do not seem to have - it is probably not an OEM installation) need to be primaries. But there is no gain to change them. There would be only a neccessity if you had 4 primaries on one drive and wanted to create an additional partition. Then you would have to free up a primary to make room for an extended partition.

But in your case you can play around with it as long as you leave the first (hidden) partition alone.

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

apex2000

Thanks very much again for your advice. I am always a little reluctant when playing about with partitions - the fear is that data will disappear!

Posted 7 years ago

LH

You can have 4 Primary, and then any new partition you create will be a Logical.
Also, due to a quirk in Windows, If you have 4 Primaries, delete one, create a New Volume, It will come up as Logical. You cannot change it back to Primary in Disk Management. Dead easy with Partition Wizard tho.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.