How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Change drive letter assignments for unknown devices

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by DCMComo
  • Latest reply from DCMComo
  • Topic Viewed 985 times

DCMComo

WXP pro Drive Assignments
I have what I hope is a simple question, although beyond my limited knowledge. On my system I have 2 HDD's (one partition each), a 3.5" FDD assigned drive letter A: (Drive letter B is available), 1 CD, 1 DVD (Drive letters E & F), an external HDD with 2 partitions (Drive letters I & J) and numerous USB ports (2 on the monitor, 2 on the front of the CPU, and at least 6 on the back of the CPU).

In assigning drive letters using Windows XP Disk Management tool, I have come across a Disk 3 and Disk 4, both removable, and I can't identify what they are. Right now they are assigned as drives G & H and they say 'No Media' . How can I decide what they are and if I can change the drive letters without messing up my system? I have put thumb drives in some of the front USB ports, but they get assigned the next letter at the end of the available list, which currently is K.

What I am going for is having my USB port thumb drives consistently seen as G & H.

Does anyone have a clue what these other two drives are?

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

Those drives are the Card reader slots which hold flash cards,like SD cards, of different sizes. Simply right click them and move the Drive Letter out of your way for each.

Posted 6 years ago

scorpion99

As Xhi said , they are card readers , inset a memory card in it and you will be able to access it...

Posted 6 years ago

DCMComo

Thank you so much! I forgot all about the card slots I have; I seldom use them! Thanks for answering!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.