How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

CDBOOT: Cannot Boot From CD Code: 5

(16 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by lengy
  • Latest reply from Tehnik
  • Topic Viewed 11378 times

lengy

Hi,

i just finished building my gaming pc and everything is working fine ive checked all the drives in the bios and they are all fine but when i reboot the pc and put in my Windows 7 CD it keeps saying CDBOOT: Cannot Boot From CD Code: 5, my build:

Intel i7 2600k
asus maximus iv extreme-z
corsair vengeance 8gb ram 1333
Gigabyte Gtx560ti OC

Any suggestions that may help this problem?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

lengy hi. Check/change the cables to the Optical drive.

Posted 7 years ago

lengy

ive just changed all the cables and it still says the same thing :(

Posted 7 years ago

mysterchr

Perhaps try xxxxxxx It's making the Win7 install into a USB boot rather then cd. I hate installing Win 7 off of a cd it's always give me a hard time.

I did want to throw in that you might also want to check/change your jumper settings on any HDD's you have in there.

Edit by mod. Link removed. Unsafe site.

Posted 7 years ago

lengy

Hmm yeah maybe ill try that, oh and how do i boot from a usb when my bios doesnt give me the option to boot from the usb, abd what settings should i change too for the HDD, thanks for the suggestion :D

Posted 7 years ago

lengy

does this only apply to people with an OS or can this be used for a computer with no running OS?

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

lengy, you can edit your posts for up to 30 minutes

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

mysterchr ,

Your link is rated poorly Big Red.

@ lengy ,

Do you have a Vista or Win7 Repair disc ?

Posted 7 years ago

lengy

erm yes i doo

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Guilty, the link is legal, just that the link itself under the replacement string is wrong, should be :

http://www.intowindows.com/how.....ing-guide/

As for the OP question, it appears to be either an incorrectly assigned DVD drive on the IDE cable, could be a BIOS setting error, or the motherboard has a problem with bootable media.

Check here for some solutions, http://superuser.com/questions.....rom-cd-why however, the best I've seen is to use a USB drive to install (link above) or install another OS first and then start the install from that OS.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

GuiltySpark

Ok assuming your CD drive is working correctly ( as you've only stated that you tried one disc ), you can boot into the Vista or Win7 repair disc and try as follows :

1. select language layout
2. select repair my computer

Computer should then reboot itself back into the repair disc :

3. as number one
4. select next screen and choose command prompt ( CMD )
5. type D: then hit Enter
6. type cd sources then hit Enter
7. remove repair disc and insert installation disc
8. type setup

A new cmd prompt should appear completely blank with a flashing cursor wait 30 secs - 60 secs then shutdown the cmd window and you should see the installation process begin.

Edit : @Irv, Thanks for the clarification :)

Posted 7 years ago

lengy

@ispalten
i hav a lg bd-rom/dvd rewriter in my system, could it be that? or should i get a normal dvd-rewriter drive?
yeah im trying to get a vista off a mate of mine to see if that works but if it dont then i have no idea wat to do next T_T,

@guiltyspark
hmm alright ill try that first before i do anything else thanks ill get back to you as soon as i try it :D

thanks for the suggestion guys

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Blu-Ray drive should be OK?

Is it IDE? I thought they were all SATA? SATA should not present an addressing problem?

It could be the motherboard can't handle a bootable drive off of the BD??? That is why you try starting it from a running system, it sets up the h/w that way.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

lengy

yeah they are sata, the motherboard should be more than capable of handling a bd, could it b the motherboard needs to b updated? O.o

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Do you have a bootable CD to try and boot from instead of a DVD?

Posted 7 years ago

Tehnik

Maybe this helps to solve the problem.

http://www.unawave.de/windows-.....ml?lang=EN

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.