The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)

(4 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Chips
  • Latest reply from Chips
  • Topic Viewed 2072 times

Chips

When I try to do a back up I continue to receive the error "Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)". This PC is running Vista Home Premium. I have done registry sacns with PC Tools Regsitry Mechanic but the problems continues. Any advice please would be very much appreciated.

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

You might want to review these two forums :

http://social.technet.microsof.....1f076f42c/
http://www.vistax64.com/genera.....0ffff.html

They both have differing ways of fixing it, and common thread is CHKDSK for disk errors.

Hope they help.

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

fooBar

It might be a Windows issue as mentioned above or it could be a hardware problem. 0x8000FFFF is a memory address. When your RAM begins to fail or has a bad section it may work until one particular address is accessed which then causes the program accessing it to fail. If you have more than one memory module installed on your PC try taking one out and then running it (thus testing each module one at a time). Obviously only remove or replace modules with the PC off.

Good luck!

Posted 8 years ago

Chips

Thank you fooBar and ispalten I very much appreciate the advice. However, I have cycled through 4 sticks of 2GB of RAM and the error recurrs with all sticks (I think it very unlikely all 4 sticks are faulty!). I also did an sfc/scannow and CHKDSK /f /r and sfc returned the following
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
No errors were returned on the CHKDSK.
Unfortunately the problem persists?
Any further advice?
Chips

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.