The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Can't turn on Windows Firewall in Windows 7

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by DebraG
  • Latest reply from PreetamD
  • Topic Viewed 21552 times

DebraG

I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I recently uninstalled McAfee and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials to be my virus protection.

Now, I cannot turn on my Windows Firewall.

When I try to, I go to Control Panel>Windows Firewall and I get an option to use "Recommended Settings" but when I click on that, I get Error Code 0x80070424. I used Help and it told me to run Microsoft Fix It, which I did. Then I get a note from Fix It that "Windows Firewall cannot be set as the default firewall. This problem may be occurring because of an existing Group Policy or because you are using the McAfee Firewall program. If you want to use Windows Firewall, exit this troubleshooter, uninstall the other firewall program, and then run this troubleshooter again."

I have already run the MCPR.exe uninstall program to completely uninstall McAfee. I have no idea what to try next.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

DebraG, Run the MCPR.exe from Safe Mode.
Report back with the results.

Jim

Posted 6 years ago

PreetamD

Go to start, and type services.msc in the run box. Search for "BASE FILTERING ENGINE" in the list. Double click and set Startup Service as automatic. Click on start. Next, Look for WINDOWS FIREWALL in the list. Double click and set Startup Service as automatic. Click on start. Now restart you computer. Hope that helps... Give us your feedback.

You can find a detailed solution over here

Posted 6 years ago

DebraG

Hermitt/Jim,

I tried running mcpr.exe in Safe Mode. I got an error message:

"Incomplete Uninstallation
Error obtaining full permissions for cleanup. See log file for more details."

When I View Logs, it says:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another."

I then tried it in regular mode and got no error messages.

Posted 6 years ago

DebraG

PreetamD,

There is no "BASE FILTERING ENGINE" in the list.

The link that you gave me talks about doing stuff with the Registry files. I don't feel confident enough to fool with the Registry unless following these instructions is the absolute correct and only solution. (I also feel a little wary of downloading stuff to my computer that could just cause further problems).

Do you think following the instructions in the link you provided is the only solution?

Thank you very much for your help.

P.S. I Googled the files referred to in the link you gave me, and it seems that others have had similar problems and luck with this solution. So I guess I'll dive into the deep end of the pool and give it a go. I'll report back what happens. Thanks, again.

Posted 6 years ago

Hermitt

DebraG, maybe this Microsoft answer will help you out...
It's similar to PreetamD's method.
http://answers.microsoft.com/e.....510bd559c4

Jim

Posted 6 years ago

DebraG

PreetamD,

With a little tweaking, the link you sent has solved my problem. Thank you.

Thank you, Jim, for your help, too.

Best,
Debra

Posted 6 years ago

PreetamD

DebraG

You are always welcome !!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.