The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Cant Install Windows XP on any harddrive. Always a blue screen!! Please Help!!

(23 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Exodus409
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 5366 times

Exodus409

I am using a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and have ran many operating systems on it with no problem. I have installed XP on this same machine MANY of times. I wanted to install XP on one of my new SATA 1TB drives. I get the blue screen of death at the same point during installation. It will let me pick the partition, it recognizes my SATA drive, and after it copies over the files needed to install XP, it will reboot like normal. Then it goes to the more graphical part of the installation where you see how many minutes are remaining and all that. and then it will give me the Blue Screen of Death!! Everytime is happens on this spot. I have tried 5 different hardrives, only 1 SATA and the other 4 are IDE. I was able to install Windows 7 Ultimate with no problem. I checked the RAM and even installed it with just 1 RAM chip and the same error came up. I have tried to use different DVD drives, different IDE and SATA cables. and my BIOS doesnt support the option to change the SATA CONTROLLER to IDE/ATA. Please help me! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-=Exodus=-

Posted 7 years ago

LH

ProstheticHead

Hi. I've had this exact problem before... After much fiddling and tweaking I eventually decided to try another XP installation disk. Turns out the DVD was bad, although it looked fine.

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

I thought that might be the issue also, but then I tried 5 different XP discs that are known to work. 2 of them have been used to install Windoze on seperate computers within the past week. I really dont know what else it could be.. This really sucks.

Posted 7 years ago

ProstheticHead

Have you tried the HDD on another system?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you tried different HDD's.

How about Video, are you using a video card or onboard?

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

I am using a video card because I dont have onboard video. I have tried the card in a friends computer and it worked fine. Im really getting nervous about this problem... I appreciate the suggestions. Any more?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Try this. Partition the SATA drive first, and create a small partition for XP. Then try and install it. Use a partition manager, or Linux to do that.

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

Ok, Ill give that a try. What would be a good partition manager to use?? Everytime I tried to install XP, I was always putting it on a small partition I made on the new drive I put in. I was making 50 gig partitions on a 1TB drive. The only difference from what you suggested was that I was using the XP disk to create the partition. Hopefully this will help. I feel like Ive tried everything but I do not think it could be the motherboard or the CPU. I was able to load a Live CD Distro of both Windows and Linux so I know the drive and cables arent bad. Im just getting more worried by the minute...

-=Exodus=-

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Give this a go,
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

Ok, Ill give that a try and then repost. That will allow me to just select the pre-made partition when setting up Windows but does it matter how I format it? I guess I will just use the NTFS format instead of the "quick" format option. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm praying this will be over soon. I use my computer to run my business and it's hurting me every minute I dont have it. I'll let you know what happens after I try the install. Thanks again.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Yes NTFS. But I am fearing it is a problem with your XP disk.

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

I still had no luck after using a partition manager to create the partition. Im gonna try to install on the full disk and see how that goes. Ive tried different 5 different XP disks that I know work. I used 2 of them within the past two weeks and had no problems. Ive also tried different disk drives.. Iknow the 1 gig RAM stick in there is good. I a tech myself.. I dont know what else it could be. Thats really bothering me. I appreciate the help and if you think of anything else, then please post it. Ill be checking back on here alot..

Take care and thanks again,

-=Exodus=-

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Have you tried unplugging your other hdd drives?

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

Yea I tried to use only 1 IDE drive at a time and then tried 1 SATA. I tried 4 different IDE drives and they were also the only drive plugged in at the time. =/

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

And they all failed at the same point?

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

Yes, they all fail about 1 minute after the GUI part of the installation, where it says "You have 39 minutes remaining" and talking about all the "exciting new features" and all that jazz. But Windows 7 installed fine.. but I have to be able to put XP on it. This really sucks! =(

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

If you can install Win7 on your 1TB hdd and not XPit's starting to point to a compatibility / driver issue.
Have you tried removing your cmos battery?
When it is at 39 minutes what is the informational text displaying as far as what it is doing at that point?
What is the BSOD displaying?

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

I have tried removing the CMOS battery and also used the jumpers to reset the CMOS. I will try to install Win7 on the SATA drive and post the results. When it is at the 39 minute display it is talking about "New and Exciting Look" and all that jazz about XP. But I never see it change to '38 minutes' like I have been longing to see. I have seen tons of different blue screen errors come up over the past week. Some are Page_on_nonpaged_area or something to that effect. There have been alot of others though.. This really doesnt make sense. =/

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

Can you try your install on another computer using the same hdd?
Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

I can try that tonight, Ill bring the IDE drive that I know works and see if I can put XP on it with my friends computer. If that works then what do you think the problem with mine is? Ive tried different XP install disks, different HDD's, different cables and different DVD disk drives.. But I dont understand why it will install Windows7 on both IDE and SATA with no problems. I tried to install XP on the SATA and IDE last night and got some new errors. It stayed at '39 minutes remaining' screen for about 10 minutes and never went to 38 minutes. Then I got a Fatal Error popup that said "An error occured that prevents setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalog" and after that I got the BSOD saying "A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine". After that it restarted and setup continued. Then it stayed at the '39 minuts remaining' screen for about 20 minutes and never went to '38 minutes remaining' Then I got the BSOD that said "Memory_Management"

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

If you are going to make a test install on another computer you need to use the 1TB drive that you are having the problem with otherwise you will not know if your hdd is the problem.

Posted 7 years ago

Exodus409

I know its not the TB drive. I got 2 of them new, straight out of the box and Windows 7 installed fine on both. I was gonna bring my IDE drive that I know works because Ive been able to install Windows 7 on it, and try to put XP on it. You think thats alright? Also, I have tried multiple different IDE HDD's and have had the same problem. Ive checked RAM, Different DVD/CD Disk Drives, Different Install disks, and cables.. This is one of the only problem that I havent been able to solve.. Its really bumming me out.. I dont like not knowing what the problem is. Please help me solve this.. I appreciate it.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

If you use another drive it will verify the XP installation disk is good or bad. There is one other thing that you might need to do and that is wipe your 1TB drive before attempting to install XP again.

EDIT: download DBan and burn to Cd. You can then boot your system and wipe your hdd
http://www.dban.org/

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.